Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Honda/Acura Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/)
-   -   LS Head to Vtec Head (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/honda-acura-tech/112465-ls-head-vtec-head.html)

Jubee 10-06-2003 10:29 PM

LS Head to Vtec Head

Ok, my boy wants me to ask. What all is involved in doing a Ls Vtec conversion, and how much would it be if he just took it to a shop? Or is it easy enought to do his self. He is planning on turboing it, and wants to put a GSR head.

let me know thanks.

Keith 10-06-2003 10:35 PM

b16 head is what he should be looking at... with this much of a lack of info at this point... i would say the BEST info i could give is to go learn as much as he can and READ plenty... talk to people that are into these cars... come out to our meets and we will school him well... also tell him to get on here and read and ask questions... it seems that at this time this is FAR from his grasp...
-Ketih

Penis 10-07-2003 12:06 AM

a gs-r ead would raise the compression more, but the b16 head flows 5.25%better. whic really isnt that muc. so it depends on what compression he wants to run. the difference between the two though is only .2, so that really doesnt matter either. unless you want to get technicall with it. do what keit says though and get your boy out more. tell him to blow the dust off his computer and get on this site because contrary to what people think, TR isnt just computer nerds who park hard, its computer nerds who park hard and know their shit.

Jubee 10-07-2003 05:00 AM

Thats tru I have told him plenty of times, but hey you can lead a horse to water, ECT ECT ECT....... you know the rest. basically this is the setup he wants to run. This is all going in his crx. He wants to do an LS with 100 shot direct port and then maybe later on to a turbo setup. but it is up in the air on if he should to the Vtec conversion.

Josh 10-07-2003 06:47 AM

b16 head flows best next to ITR. if he's gonna boost. go with b16.

Jubee 10-07-2003 08:31 AM

So what kinda Price range would he be looking at or is it easy enough to do him self. list some parts that he would need, if he did it him self.

The hoss 10-07-2003 09:05 AM

Ok to do an ls/vtec right ( so it wont blow up) you need to focus more on the bottom end. First thing is the ls rod bolts suck, you need arp bolts to rev to the vtec heads potintial. second thing is pistons, to get good valve clearance and combustion you need a piston w/ valve releives designed for a vtec head (not ls pistons). At this point your looking at almost a full build so if your going turbo you might as well get forged internals. A cheaper alternative would be to get anold b16a long block and boost that.
Be cause if you just slap a head on a stock ls bottom end then its not going to hold up under boost.

2000CivicSi 10-07-2003 12:17 PM

PM, rain, and ask him questions about ls vtec, he knows alot about it

RaIn. 10-07-2003 03:06 PM

Man Keith said it best. Theres realy no place to start and finish right now, its just WAY too much explaining and shit to do for now, read up and learn as much as you can. BEFORE you buy things, not AFTER.

BsKiNn77 10-07-2003 05:05 PM

i have an 00 ls and thinking about droping a vtec head on it if im not boosting it like spools friend do i still need to work on the bottom end or what ? thanks