Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Green Motoring (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/green-motoring/)
-   -   Why wont this work? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/green-motoring/498396-why-wont-work.html)

TIM TIM TIM 07-13-2008 01:35 PM

Why wont this work?

In some way, basically hook an altinator to the axle and have it replenish your charge as you drive? Obviously there is more to it then stated but im not the engineer, just the overall process seems like it would work to me :dunno:

Zate 07-13-2008 02:42 PM

probably because it would cause more drain on the engine than it recovered ?

TIM TIM TIM 07-13-2008 03:09 PM

you would know more then me but it seems that the power it would make could offset the power it used.. It would still need batteries and all to get it moving but if the altinators could just keep the charge or atleast drastically increase the amount of distance it could travel without needing an actual plug in recharge

Skullbiz 07-13-2008 11:25 PM

I think it would work in concept as far as the alternator goes but it would be more in depth. They have hooked up an alternator to revolving doors with reduced gears to increase the RPM's and powered HID's. trhe plan with that was to reduce it enough to semi power the buildings in which the revolving door was in. I say the concept would work because you do need the copper windings and the magnetism to create the charge but you also need a voltage regulator so your not blowing shit up. But trust me if you thought of it it's been tried and didn't work some how but the idea is good.

blacksheep-1 07-14-2008 04:00 AM

I've seen the alternator run off the driveshaft on some hot rods and a few stock cars. the main problem seems to be that if the axle is not moving, the alternator is not charging. For these types of cars it's no big deal, but when you add A/C, a mega watt sound system and other options, then the alternator can't keep up, especially in town.

TIM TIM TIM 07-14-2008 01:45 PM

yeah but it seems that it would beet what we have now, which is limited range assuming there is no added sound systems and so on. The battery's charge would be able to hold the car not moving for quite some time I would think.. I can sit and listen to the radio for over an hour in my car and it still cranks fine, surely with some high tech batteries and several of them, that wouldnt be much of an issue.. I Wouldnt think anyways

_Charles_ 07-14-2008 02:13 PM

It would work...if there wasn't something called resistance.

The more power you generate, and harder it is to turn the alternator. There is no "free" power, therefore, as Zate mentioned, it would take much more energy to produce it than it will make.

TIM TIM TIM 07-14-2008 03:53 PM

wierd, that sucks.. sounds like it could be an awesome way for it to work lol

blacksheep-1 07-14-2008 05:39 PM

Yeah, the first and second laws of thermaldynamics are very inconvenient.

TIM TIM TIM 07-14-2008 06:15 PM

i dont know what the hell you just said but i think i agree :lol: