Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   Ford dumping spark plugs in favor of focused light? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/585973-ford-dumping-spark-plugs-favor-focused-light.html)

KrazyRider83 07-15-2009 05:19 PM

Ford dumping spark plugs in favor of focused light?

In a breakthrough that may make vehicle starting issues due to fouled plugs or inclement weather a thing of the past, engineers at Ford have reportedly teamed with scientists at Liverpool University to develop a laser beam ignition system to replace ye olde spark plug. The researchers claim their technology is more efficient, more reliable, and it will enable vehicles to start easier in extreme temperatures and damp climates.
Unlike traditional spark plugs (invented way back in 1839 by Edmond Berger), laser light may be split into multiple beams distributing ignition points within the cylinders – not just at the tip of the plug. This not only aids combustion, it also lowers emissions during cold starts. Researchers also point out that the lasers use less energy than their spark plug counterparts, eliminate wear items and wires (fiber optics will carry the laser beam to the cylinders), and improve fuel burn by "watching" ignition from within the combustion chamber and sending messages back to the ECU to adjust fuel mixtures, timing, and ignition.
Ford is expected to introduce the technology in its top models within the next few years, and then make it more widely available
Gentlemen, Start Your Lasers: Ford dumping spark plugs in favor of focused light?

Buri3d 07-15-2009 05:32 PM

Sounds good to me. Just another Inefficient setup thats being reworked in modern vehicles. Now if they just could do something about the gas tank....

Orion ZyGarian 07-15-2009 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Buri3d (Post 6838555)
Sounds good to me. Just another Inefficient setup thats being reworked in modern vehicles. Now if they just could do something about the gas tank....

I hope you're joking :lol:

There's an extremely little amount to gain in the spark area of engines. The biggest advantage this would have is individual combustion chamber monitoring, which BMW uses through the spark plug on the M5 for instance. Unless this eliminates the ignition coil, which I doubt, the only wear part its replacing on modern cars is the spark plug itself, which is quite simply the least expensive part to replace.

I dont see big changes ahead, even if it DOES work. How expensive are these stupid things, and are they still as easy to replace as spark plugs?

KrazyRider83 07-15-2009 05:54 PM

i'm sure it'll be expensive and a PITA to change

zzz 07-15-2009 05:58 PM

who gives a fuck its lazer beemz pew pew

BrokeMofugga 07-15-2009 07:09 PM

:lol:

Originally Posted by zzz (Post 6838654)

HoosierDaddy 07-15-2009 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by zzz (Post 6838654)

:lmao:

Drivermod03 07-15-2009 09:00 PM

:lmao: @ the laser noise

LuckyH 07-16-2009 12:07 AM

I can attest that Ford cant even align body panels correctly. They changed the heads in my car in 08 because spark plugs were known to break off and get stuck when trying to replace them. They need to step the fuck away from lasers before they kill someone :lol:

Orion ZyGarian 07-16-2009 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by LuckyH (Post 6839495)
I can attest that Ford cant even align body panels correctly. They changed the heads in my car in 08 because spark plugs were known to break off and get stuck when trying to replace them. They need to step the fuck away from lasers before they kill someone :lol:

Really? Damn. Do you have forced induction? Whats the factory torque spec on the heads?