Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   Manual Transmission Car Rental? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/475118-manual-transmission-car-rental.html)

TR Rex 03-31-2008 07:53 AM

Manual Transmission Car Rental?

Is there anywhere around the Tampa Bay area that rents Manual tranny cars?

My friend is interested in learning stick shift, but he can't find a rental company that offers them. (Plus I'm too afraid to let him drive my car.)

If anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated!

Matt.

kaluwa 03-31-2008 08:10 AM

Not many companies rent out standard transmission cars anymore. The big ones like Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, etc only rent autos. You might be able to find one at a smaller private rent a car company, but it's gonna be hard to find.

TR Rex 03-31-2008 08:13 AM

Yeah, I have already called a couple little private companies, but can't find one that rents them.

I'm kind of disappointed that people can't drive standard transmission these days.

97HATCHY 03-31-2008 08:14 AM

^ just go test dive a manual

kaluwa 03-31-2008 08:21 AM

Or just let him drive your car, but make sure he knows what he's doing before you let him drive. Even if he doesn't do perfect it won't fuck your clutch up much if he just stalls a few times.

TR Rex 03-31-2008 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 97HATCHY (Post 5265197)
^ just go test dive a manual

I doubt a car salesmen would just let him abuse their car.

TR Rex 03-31-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by kaluwa (Post 5265214)
Or just let him drive your car, but make sure he knows what he's doing before you let him drive. Even if he doesn't do perfect it won't fuck your clutch up much if he just stalls a few times.

The thing is, my car needs a new clutch, and I don't have the money for it right now so I try to drive it as little as possible so it will last a little while longer.

Mars_302 03-31-2008 08:54 AM

they dont rent manuals cause ppl wanna dog the shit outta em.

Shaun_GST 03-31-2008 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by TR Rex (Post 5265218)

you might be surprised. when i was 17 or 18 i went to drive a manual neon, told the salesman i didnt know how and he just said. gotta learn sometime right? lol and i had NO IDEA what i was doing.

97HATCHY 03-31-2008 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by TR Rex (Post 5265218)

how would he know? just have someone that can drive it take it out of the lot and 2 minutes down the road switch. i know your going to say what if the salesmen is in the car? well they dont always ride with you, when i got my g/f's car the salesmen didnt ride with us or even ask for any sort of id or anything just said " you want to take it for a spin and through us the keys