Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   General Car Chat (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/)
-   -   Question about driving a car you just purchased in FL (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/general-car-chat/473942-question-about-driving-car-you-just-purchased-fl.html)

Taiden 03-25-2008 09:00 PM

Question about driving a car you just purchased in FL

Sup TR,

I'm new to Florida. I was talking on the phone with a potential car seller today, and he said that in Florida as long as you have a bill of sale, you can legally drive it back to your house. He said that he had cops pull him over without a tag, and he showed them the bill of sale and they let him on his way.

This sounds outrageous to me... but then again, you guys don't even have inspection. Seems like the popo doesn't really care what you drive.

Anyone wanna fill me in here? How do you drive a car in FL without permanent tags (License Plates)? In my experience back home, you pay $15 for a temp plate and show proof of insurance.

jlude90 03-25-2008 09:41 PM

yeah, i've never done this but i think alot of other people here have

and its better to drive with no plates and proof of insurance then plates from another car

but to be certain and get out of all the hearsay on here, just call your local DMV

Aoshi 03-25-2008 11:40 PM

yes you have like 2 days to get it registered in your name, and like 2 days that it's covered under your current insurance until you go down there and do whatever paperwork for it.

Boostin97SE-R 03-26-2008 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by Aoshi (Post 5249071)
yes you have like 2 days to get it registered in your name, and like 2 days that it's covered under your current insurance until you go down there and do whatever paperwork for it.

Yes you can, however I think its 30 days.

Eric 03-26-2008 04:38 AM

yep, the dmv told me you have 30 days from the purchase date. I just bought a vehicle from my brother and he wasn't going to let me take it until I got it registered in my name with a tag. I called the DMV and the FHP, they both said to have a bill of sale and proof of insurance

Young,Fablous,&Broke 03-26-2008 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boostin97SE-R (Post 5249121)
Yes you can, however I think its 30 days.

Florida will let people drive unregistered cars for a month? You sure?

cpages2 03-26-2008 06:30 AM

Yes 30 days, I have done it before.

Just have bill of sale and be polite to the police. I was pulled over 2 times driving from Clearwater to Pasco and both times I just showed the bill of sale and explain the situation.

- Mike

EliteZ 03-26-2008 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by cpages2 (Post 5249467)
Yes 30 days, I have done it before.

Just have bill of sale and be polite to the police. I was pulled over 2 times driving from Clearwater to Pasco and both times I just showed the bill of sale and explain the situation.

- Mike

Mind if I ask what the situation was that kept you from registering the car for 30 days?!

;)

Boostin97SE-R 03-26-2008 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by corey r. (Post 5249357)
Florida will let people drive unregistered cars for a month? You sure?

Yes, I am sure. I am driving my corvette around like that as we speak. Waiting for my new registration to be mailed to me.

cpages2 03-26-2008 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by EliteZ (Post 5249583)
Mind if I ask what the situation was that kept you from registering the car for 30 days?!

;)

I didnt keep it unregistered for 30 days, It was actully 12 days and I was waiting for the weekend and some free time to drive up to Paso Tax Collector. They are open on saturday.

- Mike