General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Ariel Atom vs. FFR GTM

Old 10-26-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ariel Atom vs. FFR GTM

I was looking into the Atom today, I was bored and have a killer headache. But like, I figured it would be decently priced, so I signed up at their website and started looking at the cost to build on, and omfg. It gets up to 70k instantly. granted it provides everything to build it, its still just stupid. But, 1150lbs dry weight, I think, and 300hp, but that was the original. The Atom 2 has the gm powertrain, and starts at like 200whp, and for like 5500 more it jumps to 245whp.

The GTM, can be completed for 40k, if you do everything yourself, and make it a ls7 with z06 parts for around 50-60k And its 2250lbs. So, like, is the only thing your paying SO much more for is the f1 feel of the atom?

Because I have a hard time believing the atom would take on a ls1 GTM with boltons, let alone a ls2, 6, or 7. Yeah, double the weight, and atleast double the power, not to mention what the GTM pulls on the skidpad rivils a enzo. And the Atom has basically VW tires on it. (lowrider reference if you didnt know)

GTM

Atom 2

Yeah the atom is tight, and I'd love to rock it, but the GTM is pure sex, pictures do zero justice if you've been to their shop in Massachusetts. So, yalls thoughts?
Old 10-26-2007, 05:02 PM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

gtm just looks better. plus you get actual torque.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan T
gtm just looks better. plus you get actual torque.
Yeah, the GTM is honestly like sex in person. I walked into the backroom where they had the one they were testing parts on and I was just like good fucking lord. Sucks he wouldn't let me take any pictures of that one, it was secret. But pure sex, I want to make one SO bad, once I get a (better) job im gonna get the c5 for the conversion, then save for the kit
Old 10-26-2007, 05:29 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

big difference at the track between 1150 and 2250 lbs. Braking, turning, accelerating atc. but I do agree - I like the idea of the closed car GTM and the corvette mechnicals. Make mine with a ls7 please.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by g-50Cab
big difference at the track between 1150 and 2250 lbs. Braking, turning, accelerating atc. but I do agree - I like the idea of the closed car GTM and the corvette mechnicals. Make mine with a ls7 please.
Well yeah big difference with the weight, but in the end your looking at closer to 1500lbs and 2600ish. I wonder what the atom pulls on the skidpad, ill check
Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Yes/No

i want a atom sooooo bad

Prestige Worldwide ... Wide..Wide....

Old 10-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Mark G

I'm a huge FFR guy, but I think the Atom would kinda hand the GTM it's ass on a small tight, roadcourse.. Atleast as far as cornering and braking go..

That set aside, I'd personally still build a GTM. If I want something like the atom, I'd get a bike
Old 10-27-2007, 08:12 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

IIRC you can option the GTM for A/C...so you can sit comfortably in the rain. With the Atom, you get hurt...probably something like being in a paintball match.

I love the concept of the GTM...but there are some minor body mods I think I'd do to it..I'd also use a different, nameless, heavier engine instead of the badass LSx series, because I like being able to work on stuff in the engine bay. Also because inline 6exs are where its at

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 PM
11 second club

You can get the new atom with a 300hp chevy drivetrain. Its supposed to go 0-60 in less than 3 seconds. I'm not sure if they changed anything major since I saw this but when they tested it on Top Gear it lost to an enzo around their track by like .2 of a second or something. Personally, I'd go for the atom
Old 10-28-2007, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
IIRC you can option the GTM for A/C...so you can sit comfortably in the rain. With the Atom, you get hurt...probably something like being in a paintball match.

I love the concept of the GTM...but there are some minor body mods I think I'd do to it..I'd also use a different, nameless, heavier engine instead of the badass LSx series, because I like being able to work on stuff in the engine bay. Also because inline 6exs are where its at
Um, this isn't a f-body were talking about here. The engine is extremely open with the rear bodywork open.And putting a iron block engine would be quite possibly the most retarded thing you could do in a car like this, it probably be forced to drive there and crash into it.

Oh, and chilllll the original used a blown k20 with 300hp, and yeah it was a bit slower then the carrera gt. But now they're using the chevy drivetrain from what, the cobalt? Gross. But then again, you can always just ask chevy how to get 600hp out of it.