General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Guns and Ammo is hidden in other stuff for sale the classifieds

Old 12-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Post...lots of good info. I'm runnin dumps and an off-road H pipe now and I've never been hassled, but I guess it depends on the cop and the kind of day he's had!
Old 01-07-2008, 07:34 AM

Default good info

thanks for the info. I got a greddy exhaust on my eclipse gt n its pretty loud with hard accelaration. i thought i was safe with the "legal" in 50 states stamp. I'll still keep it, just wont push the ride as much. Thanks again
Old 01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Sexist

I don't know why I opened this thread but as I got to studying the laws that BAMF posted I got to thinking how fucking ridiculous it is that our lawmakers put so much effort into the details of a law that will pertain to less than 1/10 of 1% of the cars on the road, modified exhaust of which are nothing more than a rare annoyance and really aren't harming anybody.

Fucking ridiculous that they put that much effort into something so insignificant like exhausts.

There is no freedom.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM

Got pulled over in my civic few years ago. Gave me a warning. My porsche is twice as loud and I have not been stopped once! i think cops around here (especially HCSO) target specific people just to have a reason to pull u over..

PORSCHE FOR SALE - FIND ME A BUYER AND GET $1500 CASH!!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/m...timidator.html
Old 03-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Banned

I was pulled over in my first Eclipse for exhaust. I told the cop it wasn't any louder than a Mustang Cobra, or for that matter, a Harley!

Old 03-29-2008, 05:14 PM
WHO? ME?

For those with older muscle cars, check your cars parts book. Odds are there are glasspacks or chambered exhaust listed as an OEM option. This isn't a law I'll have to worry about when there is a OEM part number for the glasspacks straight from the factory.

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 V8 4-BBl, T-10 4-speed, 3.73 Twin Traction Rear End, Front Disc Brakes, Dual Exhaust, Front Bucket Seats and Console

Cost to Date: $2125.60
Old 05-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Selling 03 WRX/STI Wagon

For the record, a stock WRX is 87dB and an STI is 92dB. Those are measured from a complete stop within 3' so the final reading will vary at 35mph from 50'. I'm not sure how much though, but those numbers are considerably higher than the statute. I got EL headers on my car which helped quiet my car down but then added a TurboXS axle back which brought it back up a little. I'm probably at or just above stock but I never get harassed up here in NY. We'll see when I move to FL.

2003 Sonic Yellow STI Wagon
Selling it. PM if interested.
392whp / 400wtq
Super Long Mod List and Gallery
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
I don't know why I opened this thread but as I got to studying the laws that BAMF posted I got to thinking how fucking ridiculous it is that our lawmakers put so much effort into the details of a law that will pertain to less than 1/10 of 1% of the cars on the road, modified exhaust of which are nothing more than a rare annoyance and really aren't harming anybody.

Fucking ridiculous that they put that much effort into something so insignificant like exhausts.

There is no freedom.
Freedom? What about the Freedom to sleep? The Freedom to minimize damage to your ears? The Freedom to have a conversation with someone and have them actually hear you? The Freedom to listen to your own radio/music and not have it drowned out? The Freedom to let your baby have a decent nap?

The truth is that loud exhaust systems, loud cars, loud stereos that boom, really do hurt a lot of people. People continuously exposed to noise experience elevated stress levels, mood swings, hypertension, depression, lost sleep and productivity.

I live in a neighborhood that has several individuals with extremely loud cars and motorcycles. I have called Law Enforcement on over a dozen occasions and they have been ticketed, but they just pay the fine and don't care. These vehicles are loud enough to be heard over a mile away, as I have heard my neighbor leave his house (its hard to miss, since it rattles my walls) and, while inside my house, I can hear him make the turn at the four way stop a half mile away, and then proceed to the stoplight another half mile, and then gun it on the county road. If I go outside I can hear him for a minute or so after that.

The noise wakes my husband and I up numerous times at night as they leave and return. It keeps our baby from having an uninterrupted nap throughout the day or night, and it really sucks that I can't hear my husband across the table at dinner because our neighbor is letting his car idle.

This is especially true for cars with loud bass systems, that shake a house and rattle the windows.

I see that there are some here that are responsible and only have moderately loud systems, but I just wanted to say that obscenely loud systems do negatively affect a lot of people, and it is NOT a minor annoyance.

I guess I should have the freedom to setup a train horn and point it at your house and set it to go off at odd hours during the night or day for minutes on end? Would you be so enthusiastic then?

Be considerate to your neighbors and those around you.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Selling 03 WRX/STI Wagon

^^^ Then there should simply be a decibel level maximum (about 94dB like the state of CA has) instead of limiting ALL non-OEM exhausts. As it stands, construction vehicles and tractor trailers can roll through your neighborhood and and cause more air and noise pollution than a lot of aftermarket exhausts (mine in particular), but those vehicles are considered legal by the state of Florida. So why is that?

Discuss.

2003 Sonic Yellow STI Wagon
Selling it. PM if interested.
392whp / 400wtq
Super Long Mod List and Gallery
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by chrisarella
^^^ Then there should simply be a decibel level maximum (about 94dB like the state of CA has) instead of limiting ALL non-OEM exhausts. As it stands, construction vehicles and tractor trailers can roll through your neighborhood and and cause more air and noise pollution than a lot of aftermarket exhausts (mine in particular), but those vehicles are considered legal by the state of Florida. So why is that?

Discuss.

Probably because folks don't usually live next to a person that drives one of those construction vehicles regularly. Also these don't tend to operate at night. And the impact that these vehicles have is usually temporary while a structure is constructed, or a road is built and/or paved. They are also considered necessary in society to expand, build, and maintain structures and various utilities. Also permission is typically received for such vehicles and construction to be used during pre-determined hours to minimize impact on residents within ear-shot. As for the sound, they tend to be quieter than most after-market noisy exhaust systems that I have heard.

They are still annoying, but one tends to deal with it as they know it is only temporary until the construction of maintenance is completed.

Quick Reply: Guns and Ammo is hidden in other stuff for sale the classifieds