General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Gross weight Vs. Curb weight

Old 10-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Chairborne Ranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gross weight Vs. Curb weight

Ok, i've asked a number of people if they know what the difference between the two is because, im trying to figure out what the total weight of my new truck is but no one knows the difference. So i thought i would ask you all and see if someone could shed some light on the subject for me.

My trucks weights are:

Curb Weight: 5402 lbs.
Gross Weight: 9200 lbs

And before anyone asks, its an 03' Chevy 2500HD LS ext. Cab 2wd w/the 6.0 V-8.

Thanks in advance..

Originally Posted by PoppaSmurf
well like i said in another thread, if charles hasn't pissed you off, or gotten on your nerves, it means ya didn't know him that good
Old 10-28-2006, 10:45 PM

The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 2000 pounds might have a cargo capacity of 3000 pounds, meaning it can have a gross weight of 5000 pounds when fully loaded.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:49 AM
gadget man

Originally Posted by martz0r
The difference between gross weight and curb weight is the total passenger and cargo weight capacity of the vehicle. For example, a pickup truck with a curb weight of 2000 pounds might have a cargo capacity of 3000 pounds, meaning it can have a gross weight of 5000 pounds when fully loaded.

What he said.
U.S.S.A Crew Member #001

Old 10-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Chairborne Ranger

ok.. thanks a lot, the truck has a 12k lb towing capacity but im not sure what the cargo capacity is but im assuming its 3798 going by your input. I was just wondering so that when i order my new rims & tires i can look at the load rating for the tires and be sure i order the correct ones.

About the only thing i'll be towing though is cars to and from the track for my buddies shop. But you can Click here to see a short video showing whats being done to it at the moment. But the one in the video is only a 1500 series so it sits a bit lower than mine. The shop thats doing the conversion for me does 03+ ext cab Nissan Titan's & GMC/Chevy 1500, 2500, & 3500 series trucks. I really wanted to get a titan converted but the 2500 is the only one they get enough room from the floor to the roof for me to fit in.

Thanks again..

Originally Posted by PoppaSmurf
well like i said in another thread, if charles hasn't pissed you off, or gotten on your nerves, it means ya didn't know him that good
Old 10-30-2006, 03:37 AM

No problem man.

You gonna start towing with that bad boy yet?