General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Twin City Dragway, Oldsmar Florida

Old 10-16-2010, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow – this is a great thread. The last time I checked it out there was only 3 pages!

I remember going to Twin City’s the first time when I was about 10 or 11. It was with a friend (Jamie Walters) and his dad in the back of an old pickup truck. Man that was cool!

When I got my first car, I made it a point to drive out there and find the strip. It was closed (around 1980, 1981). All I remember seeing was a faded sign, grassed over concrete and what I believe was some old, rusty metal bleachers.

Since we are reminiscing, I remember nights hanging in the garage with my dad (in Lutz), and hearing the engines and PA’s at Golden Gate Speedway.

This thread will keep hanging on because of us now old farts that grew up digging hot cars, races and the social gathering of like minded “gear heads”. As I grew up, I made many friends at the drags and street racing (like Boy Scout road, Morris Bridge, 30th street). I bet if I go to Sunshine or Bradenton, I could still run into someone from those times either racing or spectating! Those were the days!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Local Racer, and tracks that have survived

This is not drag specific, but related to a local racer and local racing history. While there are many dead drag strips, Lemans, Sebring and Daytona are still around. If it offends you, don't read it. -Bob

Here's the thread that inspired this post:
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/g...-liveries.html

I knew Dave Heinz, whose racing number was Heinz 57.
I saw him run the Corvette in the 24 hours of Daytona. I liked the car's looks and when I designed the jacket patch to be sold at the track that year, I put his car on the jacket patch. I probably have the only one left........on my MacDill Sports Car Club jacket.

Dave Heinz was a car dealer from Tampa....started with small British
BMC Sprites, Midgets, etc.........then he sold more expensive exotics....moved his dealership to Hillsborough Ave....Dave won the "Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea" race sponsored by Car and Driver Magazine.......Later on, spoofs of the Cannonball Baker were named "Gumball Rallye"

When Dave Heinz passed away from cancer, one of the guys in the shop knew the value and the significance of that trophy and took it home with him..........I don't know what happened to his other trophies..... If anyone knows a Native American Indian named Ed MacDonald, he probably knows more than I do.
-----------------------------------------
How not quitting won a championship.....
I was at Road Atlanta the year Dave Heinz won the SCCA National Championship in Formula A.
That car had more power than a human could control. When you floored the gas, the car jumped sideways.....427 fuel injected Chevy V8.........at the halfway point in the final championship race, he was so far behind in 3rd place that the guy next to me said " Dave Heinz should just give up." Always optimistic, I said "What for? The other guys could always break".

The cars in first and second place did not break.....

They both spun out......and Dave Heinz drove to a National Championship.
From then on, his stationary and his business logo had a line across the
page left to right and a tiny winged Formula A car at the right edge......

That's when Dave got the Corvette......It was raced all over the country as well as Daytona, Sebring and Lemans. The huge fiberglass fender flares were made in a small shop on Lauber Way in Drew Park, Tampa by Rick Jellison.

Dave Heinz once told me that you could win plenty of races. You could win National Championships. You could be one heck of a racer, but
until you drive a Corvette, no one knows your name. Once you drive a
Corvette..........EVERYBODY knows your name.-Bob

Keystone Facebook ...click: "Keystone Motor Car Club"

Port Richey Rod Run at Coast Buick GMC Coming May 25 2024
https://carstoshow.com/registerevent.aspx?eventid=99114

50's Diner US19.... A Florida Attraction.
1730 US-19, Holiday Fl 34691 click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/t...-racing.html CHRA sanctioned cruise-in.
Cruise-In; Free; Every Saturday 5-8PM plus 10% off the whole menu to cruisers

All Cars Every 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast: Since 2015 and more. click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/e...ast-tampa.html

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...e-senor-honda/

Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 PM

BEGIN RANT
My fathers father ran a floor pan V8 car at Golden Gate back in the day. They lived in Lutz. I think he may have pictures of the car and possibly some at the track? Not sure tho, as my grandfather died when my dad was a teen. I believe i used to watch Donny Heinz run a badass truck at sunshine for fan participation when i was a kid... not sure if theres any relation. My dad ran at sunshine and i used to sit in the stands with my mom, wrapped it blankets with cotton in my ears, while my dad ran street stocks. Grew up watching Pletcher and the likes. I got to race flat karts on sunshine a few years before it closed in the tri city kart club. That was my favorite track, dirt or pavement. After it closed ( i was just getting old enough to drive stock cars) we built a dirt miinistock and ran out at eastbay. Now my favorite local track is inverness (citrus county speedway?) and i run street heat at sunshine, and wherever i can find a race otherwise when my cars arent broken.

Someday i will put together a small smart ass brochure to hand police regarding the history of racing in the bay area. I will proceed to hand it to them when they pull me over and say "son, do you know why im stopping you"? I will calmly hand the police officer the brochure and respond with something along the lines of "i bet it has to do with a noise ordinance".

I have raced at Aburnedale, inverness, desoto, sunshine, east bay, and punta gorda oval tracks. Every single one of em that i can remember has some noise related rule dictating how late the tracks can run.

Ive run Lakeland, sunshine, and desoto drag strips and can honestly assume that they have the same "constraints".

I would absolutely love for someone to get enough information on the tampa race tracks of the old days and publish a website of tampa's racing history! I would love even more to figure out how to secure a race track or two in the Tampa area for future racers in addition to the ones that we have now, to help promote "legal and safe" racing to people like me! I have been racing since i was 10. I grew up at the track. I would hate to be a witness to the demise of organized and sanctioned racing in the bay area, without even trying to help.
END RANT

Tampa Bay Rotary Owners Club Member # 4
Team Decep!
you never saw it coming
Old 11-12-2010, 12:57 AM

lakeland motorsports park had a road course too in the 60's and 70's... back when it was a complex, it had a oval track road course and 1/4 mile drag strip at one point.
1989 mustang lx, n/a 8.2 deck 302 block, just your average street car.
project
1973 plymouth 340 'cuda
Old 12-19-2010, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by oletruckdude
My stepdad Bob Scadron owned Twin City Dragstrip for many years. He passed away a few years ago. I used to set up the equipment there every wed/fri/sat nights for him. My first legal drag race was there in 1975. I still have the E.T. tickets from that race. I raced there for a couple of years. When we closed for Christmas in 1977 the county passed a noise ordinance. We had no idea. When we showed up in January to reopen we were met by the Hillsboro county Sheriff, who proceeded to allow us to retrieve our equipment then he padlocked the gate. That was the end of Twin city Dragway. Man those were good old days.
FYI, the farmers in the area didn't like the noise and they were behind getting the noise ordinance passed.
Dang cows Do you have any Pics you can post of the 57 chevy that Lockey tire was part of and I think Bob was part of that deal also and maybe some of Barry Hawk use to go with Barry and Shadow his dog every weekebd. My Dad and Uncle took me there when I was 13 or 14 been hooked since then and still doing it today and I'm 60.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Registered Hater

Originally Posted by Slo_Si
damn, wish they were still around....bradenton is just too far...
kwitchorebichen

I'm an hour north of Tampa and I don't complain about Bradenton being too far.

Honda builds go from yay to gay in the matter of a K.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dano Moparo
I must have been 15 years old in 1958 when I attended my first drag race at Tri-City Dragway in Oldsmar, Florida. I really don't recollect the event, other than it was a road trip with guys I looked up to who had "hot" cars. We all piled into one of my hero's '48 Chevy coupe and drove the 35-40 miles from the small orange grove town of Largo, located between Clearwater and St. Petersburg.Drag racing has been my life since that day, so the recollection of this one day is cloudy. I do remember I was "hooked" on the speed and especially the sound. The racers consisted of Ed Pantey, Don & Ed Garlits, Bob Langley, Connie Swingle, Hasely Hood, Charley Hogan, Emery Cook, Lucky Harris, Joe Herndon, the Nelson Brothers, and Marvin Schwartz to name a few.

Growing up an only child with loving parents that worked all day in the grocery store business, I was left on my own after school each day. I played Pop Warner football in the 5th and 6th grades and Jr. Varsity and Varsity football from the 7th to 11th grades. I tried basketball and baseball, but the contact sport was a lot more exciting to me.

I would see the first-string players driving neat '55 Crown Victorias and '57 Chevy convertibles all set up with lowering blocks in the rear and glass-packed mufflers that were soaked in oil when new so that over a (smoky) period of time they would become very loud. The sound was music to my ears. They also had all the best looking girls that wore form-fitting sweaters and lots of "crinolines" (petticoats) under their skirts. The fuzzy dice, Merc Cruiser fender skirts, mud flaps, Olds Fiesta and "flipper" hub caps were all the rage in the Tampa bay area at the time.

I was dating a girl whose uncle had a two-motored dragster. How weird! There was a girl from Tampa who had a '57 Chevy with a picture of two cherries on the trunk. Under this was painted, "If you can beat it, you can bust 'em." Man, I had a lot of dreams about that car!

My folks bought me my first car in 1958. It was a nice $300 '53 Chevy Belaire that I immediately modified. It had a 235" 6-cylinder with a 3-speed on the column. Within the first month I swapped motors with the family '55 Belaire 4-door (when they went on vacation), installed a set of Fenton cast iron headers, an Edelbrock 2-one barrel manifold with dual Rochester carbs and an Isky E-400 cam. I used flex-a-pipe to hook-up the two glass-packs and straight "lakes pipes" that exited under the rear axle to be "cool." At 16 years old, the cops hated me. My folks could not understand why I changed a good running car to the loud, smelly, ill handling car that got lots of the wrong kind of attention. It did get me plenty of girls but after blowing up 5 to 15 transmissions that first year (hey, they cost $15.00 each at the junk yard) and having too many girlfriend's parents calling my dad, I sold the car to a friend for $400 and joined the Air Force. I was shipped to Paris, France for my entire tour of duty as (what else) a mechanic in a motor pool....

.....It was the fall of 1964 when I started my new life back in Tampa Bay. I got married, had a couple of kids, had numerous jobs including machinist in an auto parts store, a Coca-Cola route salesman (great job but it literally broke my back), a heli-arc welder for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft and then....a welder/machinist for Don Garlits at his Tampa home shop. I worked with Connie Swingle and Tommy "T.C." Lemmons. I was way over my head but worked my butt off....

John "Mazz" Mazzarella

Hazely was a better announcer than he was a barber he took a piece of my ear when I was about 12 years old but that was the place to go if you wanted to hear about drag racing
Old 12-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Once Ruled The World .l..

Right by Tri-City Drag was an old Shooting range.. One of the first places I ever shot at with my dad.. And, after the track had closed and the land sat for years empty, with some old rotting wooded speedway signs

I remember driving out there and him always saying that the little bridge on Race Track before you got to S. Mobley was called dead mans bridge because of a bunch of head on accidents over the years from people trying to pass there, and I am sure a bunch were people coming home or going to the track... I remember when they widened Race Track Rd a few years ago, thinking that it was the end of the little road to the countryside.

TR
"Old Skool EF & DA Crews" Member #46
TR "Wagovan Club" Member #1
Old 01-11-2011, 12:39 PM

Good afternoon all --- I am one of the "old" farts, I remember well Tampa Dragway, Twin City, and Sunshine - I will try to post some old photos of those bygone days
Old 01-11-2011, 01:09 PM
Once Ruled The World .l..

Originally Posted by P9x25
Good afternoon all --- I am one of the "old" farts, I remember well Tampa Dragway, Twin City, and Sunshine - I will try to post some old photos of those bygone days
Sweet... Post em up...

TR
"Old Skool EF & DA Crews" Member #46
TR "Wagovan Club" Member #1

Quick Reply: Twin City Dragway, Oldsmar Florida