Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

87 5.0 starting issue

Old 07-31-2010, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 5.0 starting issue

So I've had this 87 5.0 for a while its been my slooooow project. I had it sitting for about 3 months and recently replaced the fuel tank and fuel pump due to the tank and pump going bad. Right after I replaced them it fired up and engine ran but was backfiring and I figured I needed some valve lash adjustment. Well now it won't crank up at all. It turns and all but just won't start up. I have fuel up to my injectors I've messed with it but can't seem to figure it out. Anybody has any ideas? Timing?

fender roller rental
shared_pm me for info
Old 07-31-2010, 03:13 PM

car sitting up, and backfiring. More than likely is going to be bad cap/rotor. Possibly moisture in the cap and a lot of rusty buildup on the PIP in the distributor. Did you

Sn95' Tripple Black Cobra
Mods:Heads/Cam/Intake/Exhaust...just your typical stock mustang...
Old 07-31-2010, 10:35 PM

Bro check the Tfi. I just had a similar problem. And the tfi was the solution. Would not start for shit with my car. We had fuel. Thought it was the coil. etc. CHECK IT!
Old 08-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Would a bad ignition coil cause it to turn-over but not crank up? And do they sell replacement tfi? I've tried looking for them but can't seem to find them...

One thing I did notice, when I sprayed starting fluid it would crank up and then die. If I gave it gas while it was on with the starting fluid it would pretty much choke out.

fender roller rental
shared_pm me for info
Old 08-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Bondsman

Originally Posted by c89s13
One thing I did notice, when I sprayed starting fluid it would crank up and then die. If I gave it gas while it was on with the starting fluid it would pretty much choke out.
TFI is for spark, you obviously have spark so move on. If it will run on starting fluid, look for fuel issues....relay, pump ect
Old 08-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by GNs-r-slow
TFI is for spark, you obviously have spark so move on. If it will run on starting fluid, look for fuel issues....relay, pump ect

Exactly what i was thinking..

except he said he has fuel to his injectors..

Did you mean you have fuel at the schrader valve?

When you turn the key forward do you hear your fuel pump prime?

If you dont hear the pump prime then you most likely have a blown relay. If you change your relay and you still dont hear the fuel pump prime then you prob. have gremlin in your wiring or something along those lines. Drop the tank and hook your pump straight up to the battery to make sure it works. If it works then just wire it to a switch and be done with it!
Tim @ MPR
"Red Rocket" NMRA EFI REN 4124

Last edited by Tony@1320Motorsports; 08-01-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:33 PM

^ yeah I have fuel up to my fuel rail didn't check passed the rails. But I just pulled the fuel rail and injectors and confirmed what I was thinking it might be, the fuel rail has rust around the outside edges on the inside and the injectors have dried fuel and rust debris sitting ontop were it feeds from. Sooooo with that being said anybody has a stock fuel setup for sale? Fuel rail/fpr/injectors?

fender roller rental
shared_pm me for info
Old 08-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Bondsman

PM Riverviewnative here.....he's the local Mustang parts guy, and good to deal with
Old 08-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Bondsman

Originally Posted by c89s13
^ yeah I have fuel up to my fuel rail didn't check passed the rails. But I just pulled the fuel rail and injectors and confirmed what I was thinking it might be, the fuel rail has rust around the outside edges on the inside and the injectors have dried fuel and rust debris sitting ontop were it feeds from. Sooooo with that being said anybody has a stock fuel setup for sale? Fuel rail/fpr/injectors?
if it was dry on top of the injectors (dried fuel) sounds like your issue maybe at the regulator. The whole system should be inspected, including dropping the tank and take a peek inside

Last edited by GNs-r-slow; 08-02-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:47 PM

I just replaced the tank about 1month ago. And yeah Ill be replacing the rail, fpr, and injectors all together

fender roller rental
shared_pm me for info