Drifting The art of going sideways

Okay..we've discussed RWD, FWD, Domestic...AWD Drift?

Old 03-02-2004, 05:25 AM
formerly 'RiceRocket'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Okay..we've discussed RWD, FWD, Domestic...AWD Drift?

As I see it, we have discussed the validity of:

RWD Drift: D'uh
FWD Drift: hmmmm....is it drifting?
Domestic Drifting: Can be done...looks a little odd, but there is no reason why not....

What about AWD Drifting?

How hard is it? Which cars would be best? Is it possible?

Discuss....

Charles

1953 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (Fuel Injected, Drive-by-wire, DoD)
2009 Pontiac G8 GT (6.0l V8 Sleeper)
2011 Toyota Sequoia Sport 4x4 (Tow Rig)
My Blog: www.HotRodCaddy.com
Old 03-02-2004, 06:17 AM
is cooler than you

I've unintentionally drifted a WRX. Looked pretty cool. Served no purpose. Messed up my autox run. That's all I got.

Old 03-02-2004, 09:08 AM
tire eater

ok AWD drift is bomb ass stuff man. Ya ya rally this and that but on pavement just like RWD its awesome. Different style fo course. You need more speed/power kinda thing because ALL 4 wheels push u toward the center (if ur drifting ur facing center area of turn) of the turn so u have to over come their foward momentum more. At the same time, because all wheels are spinning and the physics of the AWD drift, you can get a much higher degree of drift without spinning out, almost 90degrees in some cases dependante on speed and angle of course turn and all that. Search for Lancer, Impreza, Skyline drift videos on the net and im sure ull find vids the demonstrate the high angle drift
Old 03-02-2004, 09:13 AM
i wanna go fast

what awd drift would be like for most normal cars:

1.come up to turn with a lot of momentum
2. weight shift the car and lift throttle
3. the back trails then modulate throttle on/off to control & maintain the slide
4. eventually you'll either lose too much speed or the front wheels will gain enough grip and pull you out of it

this is much more effective on dirt, would not be recommended for most people with AWD on pavement because it is VERY hard on an AWD drivetrain, not to mention the driving speed required to do anything impressive looking would not be safe even for most legal venues.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:34 AM
TR Registered Member #5

with the potenza RE92s on the car, i can drift the FUCK out of it at the autoX, or on the highway, ask rich

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Forever Broke Nissan

and you dont really counter steer like you would a RWD cost it will just pull you out of the drifft

Old 03-02-2004, 06:03 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

AWD DSM doesn't do it well, at least on stock suspension. More like it doesn't do it at all. That's been my experience.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:06 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

I have semi drifted my skyline....it sort of works, but the damn thing just has soo much grip. I am able to do a controlled semi circle, but then the car takes over control and sorts me back out. However, shifting from turn to turn would be possible. Just would require a little more speed than a rwd and definitely less grip or more power. AWD drift also tends to be more of a neutral slide than a rear wheel drift and with far less countersteer....reference the Jun Evo drift for a good demonstration of this. Plenty of people drift older GTRs in japan though, however they may be using a torque split controller to bias power to the back.