Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Drag Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/drag-racing/)
-   -   No Mercy 9 Drag Radial Racing South Georgia (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/drag-racing/834926-no-mercy-9-drag-radial-racing-south-georgia.html)

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:30 PM

No Mercy 9 Drag Radial Racing South Georgia

2k shares

No Mercy 9 Drag Radial Racing Coverage from South Georgia!

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:31 PM

https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...55-960x640.jpg“God bless everyone that battled the heat with us. It was hot, we battled a lot of heat and a lot of rain, but thank you to everybody that came out with us because it wouldn’t be No Mercy if they didn’t. We are delayed this morning by some fog but it’s not gonna stop us.” Stephanie Wisnieske-Long The total purse is over $100.000 with the RVW winner set for a 50K payday this afternoon. This year’s unique trophys are from Sculpture Alley tipping the scales at 300 pounds shipping here. As usual we have champagne and custom hats along with fat stacks of cash.

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:32 PM

h fat stacks of cash.
https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...14-960x640.jpg“We stared an X275 championship points series last year and have added Ultra Street for 2018 to increase sponsorship awareness and increase car counts for promoters and fans alike and give the racers something to shoot for and motivate the competition. This year we have Neal Chance and Precision Turbo and Engineering sponsoring the X275 Championship Series and Vortech Superchargers sponsoring Ultra Street Shootout Series with Brian Keep leading Ultra and Shane Heckel number one right now in X275. This event is a bigger points event with a thirty two car field. We have a couple of make up dates scheduled due to rain outs with the ODRC in Bradenton being one likely location with one other probably out west a bit with the venue to be determined.” – John Sears. You can find further information on the official series Facebook pages X275 Championship Series
https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...99-960x640.jpg“We made every race but had a bad mulligan race at Norwalk, it didn’t go well for us there, every other race we have done well and pointed well, I think we are averaging over fifty points per race, so our average is good. We have won one race, Joel is there and Rodney is there it’s gonna be a tight race to the finish. We are enjoying ourselves, the car is doing what we are asking of it, just trying do continue doing what we are doing and be consistent. We run a Hameetman Racing Engine small block Chevy with an F1A94 Procharger right now at 3,300 pounds, we are waiting for Procharger to come up with a 91 MM blower to test at lower weight. It’s tough in the heat being that heavy but the car works well and is good as long as the track is decent. Procharger has been phenomenal for me, RPM Transmissions has been right there with me. I can’t thank my crew enough, Mark Gonyaw, my girlfriend Angel Crampton and my brother Sean being at almost every race. So we are enjoying ourselves and having fun” – Brian Keep Pictured from left to right, Brian Keep, Sean Keep and Mark Gonyaw.

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:33 PM

https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...36-960x640.jpgWe stopped by Peter Volpe’s pits this morning to check on how he has been doing this weekend inhis first event of heads up competition. He qualified third but broke a steering arm on the car and missed the last two qualifying sessions. Racecraft sent the parts overnight and they were able to make the repair and first round Saturday coming away with Peter’s first round win. He had to pedal the car to a 5.14 win, despite a sleepy reaction time, over Steve Mogle and will face Todd Moyer in round two. “It was exhilarating, exciting and scary kind of all meshed into one, it was crazy. Josh had told me “the first sixty feet you gotta hang on, then the next hundred is is even worse” and he was one hundred percent right, it was insane, but we are getting it, I can’t thank Josh and his crew and the Proline guys enough for sticking with us and helping us the whole week and in New Hampshire. The guys have been really great, we wouldn’t know what to do if we just got the car and that was it.” – Peter Volpe, with Josh Klugger on the right.

https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...33-960x640.jpgJohn and Hunter Smith are father and son here spectating this weekend from Billa Rica, Georgia and own American Speed Shop which has been open just over a year. They have been coming here for the past few years and Hunter was on the crew with Norman Bryson last year.

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:35 PM

https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...89-960x640.jpgPTC Radial vs the World was off the chain this weekend with upsets of several big names out early in competition and the turbo cars all bowing out in round three leaving just nitrous and blowers to vie for the win with three racers left in who never won here before, Alex Laughlin, Jeff Naiser and Paulo Giust with Jamie Hancock in as a previous winner representing for the nitrous guys. The Aussie Jeremy Martin exited this round as well in a loss to Laughlin but scored his best run, a 3.904 at 204 to Laughlin’s low of the round 3.787. It will be a happy trip home for Martin and crew for sure after such a great weekend for them. The semis would wind up with nitrous cars and blowers facing off as it should be with Laughlin again going low for the round, earning lane choice with his 3.802 win over Hancock’s 3.812. Naiser pushed the tree against Giust with a .010 reaction and scored the win with a 3.85 as the blower car struck the tires at the hit.Naiser put up a .017 light in the final needing every bit he could beg or steal to try and win. Laughlin was off with a .049 running a pinch slower than his prior round ET, a 3.808 but it was no good as the NRC crew stepped it up with a 3.792 at 197 when he needed it to score his first win here at SGMP in Radial vs the World. “We come out here, every run Kenny made good calls, perfect calls, the car went down the race track as fast as we needed to go. I did my job letting go of the button and steering to the finish line. I can’t thank everybody enough, all my crew and my mom and dad, Jimmy and Annette, they just sitting back waiting for the phone call you know. My most critical round was against that blower car (Paolo Giust) car in the semis, I mean they are all critical, he had run just as fast as I did in the day time. Racing during the day is really tricky, especially with a nitrous car. You need to get all you can down low cause it’s hard to outrun them on the big end so we sacrificed a lot down low to make sure we got down.” – Jeff Naiser https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...98-960x640.jpgKBX/Precision Turbo X275 was a tough field as always with a lot of cars bunched up in the 4.40’s and a very tricky surface with track temps soaring well over 140 degrees and bouts of rain later in the day. We follwed up with Shane Fisher and Ron Rhodes, John Keesey and several other racers in the class this week. Once in round three everyone who made a run but Kenny Hubbard was in the forty’s with Keesey setting low for that round at 4.439 in a hole shot loss to Rob Goss’ Procharged 2009 Challenger, 4.464. The semi pit Fisher and Rhodes and Goss and Hubbard. This time Fisher would set the 4.430 low ET driving around Rhodes 4.47 with the turbocharged KBX top end charge at 167 MPH. Goss got by Hubbard with a 4.97 snagging a lucky break with bother racers pedaling.Fisher had lane choice taking the right lane but it could not hold the tires and he slowed to a 4.81 at 159, not near enough to stay in front of Goss’ 4.526 at 163 MPH. “My most important round today had to be the finals, all the other rounds kinda go by the wayside when you win, I had my first hole shot victory against John Keesey. It was a total team effort, I never won here before and two in a row after winning the NMCA Indy, two in a row is unbelievable, a dream come true. This race is the epitome of all races, winning here is like winning the Superbowl the best competition comes here, to win here is indescribable,overwhelming with emotion, happiness, joy, it’s hard to put into words” – Rob Goss Crew for Team Goss is Bruce Maichle and Southern Speed Racing’s Wade Hopkins. https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...21-960x640.jpgDon Lamana earned top qualifier in Pro 275 before running the table in the class with a little lucky from bye runs eventually meeting up with Ziff Hudson in the final. Ziff had struggled keeping his car hooked up but definitely has what it takes to get work done qualifying second in class and scoring a 4.24 in round two eliminations. Pasadena, Texas based Todd Moyer qualified thirteenth and made it trough to the semi finals on a no show bye by Dr Dan Boyko, testing the track surface to no avail to a 5.61 at 91 MPH. Lamana was off pace a bit with his reaction times giving up a lot to Moyer’s .006 with a .055 but drove by with a 4.29 at 191 to Moyer’s 4.46 setting up the final round with Ziff Hudson, Lamana would have lane choice and chose the right lane. Hudson took the advantage at the tree with an .013 light but failed to stick to the track slowing to a 5.10 at 103. Lamana had a little tire shake down track but drove through it to earn the event win with a 4.52 at 191. This weekend’s team includes Crew Chief Matt Larue, Chris Patton and his wife, Mark Michlovitz, Andi, and Tim and Amy. “We created four or five tune ups when we got here because we had not run the car since we put it back together and lucky enough we got enough day time tune up data to use get the car set up. During the day here we were not going to go four Oh’s on Sunday, the track was different every round so it was all about picking the correct tune to go A to B. That was the tricky part you know” We raced who we raced but we beat who we raced, had a couple of buy’s that worked out for us, there was definitely some luck involved because we didn’t go A to B on a few of those rounds either” – Don Lamana

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:36 PM

Don Lamana

https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...94-960x640.jpgLimted Drag Radial had some great racing with Daniel Pharris earing top qualifier and scoring two 4.219 runs in rounds two and three making his a threat to any in the other lane in these tough conditions. It was Martin who had low ET in round two with a 4.16 and Gargus right behind with a 4.17. Round three saw Martin and Gargus improve with Martin advancing then running a phenomenal 4.09 in the semi on the hunt to take out Pharris who scored a 4.16 to show he was game for a fight.Number two qualifier Justin “Red” Martin took the win in Limited Drag Radial against number one qualifier Daniel Pharris after earning critical lane choice on his semi final single, a record setting 4.09 at 189 MPH “Out most critical round of the day was probably round three against Paul Gargus. We needed to know that we need to able to go fast in the final against Daniel and that really helped us to figure out what we needed to do. We used that to let it eat in the semi final bye running a 4.09 at 189 MPH for the record. We came down here Wednesday, had an engine that was tore apart, no rods or pistons in it. My engine builder Pete Harrell brought all the parts down here and we assembled it on Wednesday, qualified number two, set the record, won the race, I have no idea what else to say.” Justin Martin Sponsors on the car include Motion Raceworks, Professional Auto Care, M&M Transmissions, Garrett turbos, Harrell Engine and Dyno, Menscer Motorsports, Cameron’s Torque Converters, VP Racing Fuels and Mac Fab Beadlocks.
https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...76-960x640.jpgOutlaw 632 saw a lot of work for the racers, some fan excitement and great racing with Jim Aldous earning top qualifier before suffering engine damage and hurting his chances to advance in the later rounds. Vinny Lorosa and the crew got the Duster all fixed up after his giant wheel stand in qualifying, he would make it far as round three before taking a loss to Matt Salminen after spinning the tires in a small wheelie. Second qualifier Mike Stavrinos also hurt the engine some and limped it home with some luck and a few 4.40’s. Aldous was hurt bad in the semi final and was hoping for a red light by JD Campbell but that was not to be. The two south Florida based racers Matt Salminen and Mike Stavrinos paired off with Salminen leaving first but was outrun with a 4.40 at 162 to his 4.46 at 168 setting up the final. Stavrinos scored the holeshot .039 reaction and ran out the back with a 4.47 at 157 to earn the win over Campbell’s gorgeous small tire 68 Camaro. “We struggled throughout the day but fought as a team to patch it up and keep her together for five rounds to win this thing. We have a PRD 632 with crew from Jose, Oscar, car owner Anthony Masiello, crew chief Jason Green and Cami, and. sponsored by Speed and Truck World. I can’t complain a bit it’s been an awesome weekend.” – Mike Stavrinos.https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...96-960x640.jpgTop Ultra Street qualifier Rodney Ragen made his way through a tough field to face off with Joel Greathouse in an all KBX final featuring the top two qualifiers. Ragen and Greathouse traded low ET back and forth through eliminations with Greathouse pulling the spade 4.700 on a semi final single to earn lane choice in the final. There debate over changing the tune up for Ragen as threats of rain and very light sprinkle was upon us but the call was made to “let it eat” and both cars pulled to the line. It was over quick as Greathouse went .002 red but both races charged hard for the finish, focused in the moment. Ragen scored a 4.703 at 156 to earn the win over the quicker Greathouse who nabbed low ET of eliminations 4.690 at 151 MPH. “ They really had the car moving today, John Kolivas and KBX did a wonderful job, I am very proud of them. The semi final with Coulter was our most critical round, he is a tough competitor and we needed to stick it hard to prepare for the final and were rushed because of the weather coming.” – Rodney Ragen.

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:37 PM

https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...07-960x640.jpgDXP 235 Winner is Jonathan Insley He runs a 1995 Mustang with a 440 inch Windsor with a Nitrous Express plate system and RPM Transmission powerglide with an Ultimate Converter Concepts converter. The engine is from Toby at Cunningham Motor Works in Charleston, West Virginia. Thanks to Kuntz and Company for the cylinder heads, a killer set of Brodix Track 1’s. The chassis was built by Rogue Race Cars and we did the fabrication work in house. My most important moment today was against Martin Connelley in round two, he is a tough tough competitor, probably the toughest guy in the class. When you beat those guys you beat the best they have a great crew, I mean I’ve got a great crew but beating those guys made our day a little bit easier. My crew is Matthew Riley who wired the whole car, he’s a great mechanic and fabricator, Greg Harrell, Matt Jarrell and Jason Anderson. I want to give a big shout out to Elite Automotive in Indianapolis Jason’s shop, awesome on tuning, he is a big reason we got the car where it is today as far as getting the chassis lined out and the tune ups set up. Pushing me to get out there and get it done. He is usually always the bug that’s in my ear.” – Jonathan Insley They had a two car team here this weekend qualifying number one and two with Anderson scoring top qualifier.
https://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...52-960x640.jpgJason Richards is the No Time Extreme 28 winner at No Mercy 9 after facing off with 6 Mile Randy in the Holy Ghost. “We had a rough weekend having to put rings in the engine twice and work out butts off but it paid off in the end. Our most critical round was the final, I got luckiest in the final.We both spun the d tires and I was able to pedal it and get the win. Thank you to my dad Charles and my brother Charles Jr and mom, my girlfriend they all help me out to do what I do and keep this thing going. They all worked hard to get the engine repaired twice and make the next rounds we needed.” Jason Richardshttps://www.speednik.com/files/2018/...14-960x640.jpgTroy Pirez Jr debuted his new truck “Stonewall Jackson” this weekend at No Mercy 9, the first big event for his new build. The S-10 was built in one hundred and eighty-one days, starting the build four days after winning Lights Out here in February, making this two for two for Team Pirez in the Small Block NT Shootout. The truck had just twelve passes on it before the event. “The most important round was the semi finals, it felt like the finals to us. That was our round where we had to cross over the hump facing off with Sub Zero.” – Troy Pirez Jr. Troy Jr. owns Innovative Racecraft and gets power from Fast Forward Race Engines and PKRE.

senor honda 09-30-2018 08:38 PM

About the author

Rob Cossack

Rob has had an interest in photography since he was young, but didn't get started until 2007, when he started shooting at the local tracks. After that, he started doing local video coverage of heads-up events and began working with Power Automedia shortly after.