Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Chassis & Suspension Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/chassis-suspension-tech/)
-   -   Coilover preload for dragracing? (FWD) (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/chassis-suspension-tech/706650-coilover-preload-dragracing-fwd.html)

SmokinS13SR20 12-23-2010 09:30 AM

Coilover preload for dragracing? (FWD)

Trying to get the best 60ft time I can on street tires.

How should I have the preload set on the front/rear?

Launch style is 4500~ rshared_pm and feather the clutch.
Tires are kumho 195/55s.

treekiller 12-23-2010 11:49 PM

fwd you are gonna want the rear as stiff as poss on preload, rebound on the shock loosey.

SmokinS13SR20 12-24-2010 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by treekiller (Post 8441229)
fwd you are gonna want the rear as stiff as poss on preload, rebound on the shock loosey.

Unfortuanetly I don't have a bound/rebound adjustment.

That's what I figured on the rear's, how about the front?

Thanks for the help.

Ls_[eg]hatch 12-24-2010 08:01 PM

just buy some tires lol its the only thing that is gonna bring yer 60ft down noticably.

SmokinS13SR20 12-25-2010 07:29 AM

I plan on it, but I'd rather have my suspension setup properly before I go and throw some DRs on.

FoxHondaRider 12-28-2010 07:56 PM

are you preload launching with the E-brake? Also wouldnt the rear rebound being stiff be better because the weight would want to be thrown back but it will push it forwar fast and regain traction? IDK

Loren 12-29-2010 06:30 AM

Stiff rebound RESISTS allowing the suspension to extend. As you said, you want the rear weight to come forward more quickly when you lift or shift to regain full traction. Minimal rebound on the rear shocks will do that. You want stiff compression damping on the rear to keep the weight transfer OFF of the front tires very well controlled.

Edit: You're confusing stiff springs with stiff rebound damping. Two different things.

SmokinS13SR20 12-31-2010 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by Loren (Post 8452205)
Stiff rebound RESISTS allowing the suspension to extend. As you said, you want the rear weight to come forward more quickly when you lift or shift to regain full traction. Minimal rebound on the rear shocks will do that. You want stiff compression damping on the rear to keep the weight transfer OFF of the front tires very well controlled.

Edit: You're confusing stiff springs with stiff rebound damping. Two different things.

Loren, It's not that I'm confusing the two, It's just that I have no ability to adjust rebound/bound so I figure stiffening up the preload on the rear would help. Am I correct to assume so?

Loren 01-01-2011 11:20 AM

Jeff might answer that question better. I'm not up on all the ins and outs of preload. I'm inclined to think that it wouldn't make that much difference as long as you have enough preload to keep there from being slack in the spring at full suspension droop.

FoxHondaRider 01-04-2011 12:15 AM

You are supposed to set rebound 1st and then compression.