Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Bike Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/)
-   -   can you supercharge a bike (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/79289-can-you-supercharge-bike.html)

lostandconfused 01-07-2003 09:49 PM

can you supercharge a bike

now i've seen valkerie's supercharged so i know that it is possible to supercharge a bike. my actual question is since a supercharger is driven by a belt and pully, and supposedly everything on a bike is encased, where can you attach the belt and pully to. is there any kind of pulley or gear that you can get to that lies outside the casing on the bike?

ryuujin 01-07-2003 10:06 PM

Re: can you supercharge a bike

Originally posted by "lostandconfused"

now i've seen valkerie's supercharged so i know that it is possible to supercharge a bike. my actual question is since a supercharger is driven by a belt and pully, and supposedly everything on a bike is encased, where can you attach the belt and pully to. is there any kind of pulley or gear that you can get to that lies outside the casing on the bike?
Very difficult aftermarketwise. That's probably why they turbo them instead.

lostandconfused 01-08-2003 09:13 AM

thanx for the advice but i love to be difficult. and i almost have it all figured out ( i think) all i need is for someone to tell me where or the name of a gear or pulley that i can attach the belt to

Dave 01-08-2003 09:23 AM

only problem is , s/c are very parrasitic ( sp ) and would cost hp to drive it . Turbos are better for bike cause the fact that all the drivetrain is hiddena dnt he turbo feeds off the intake and pulls the exhaust . trust me turbo bikes are still very rare

svtjesse 01-08-2003 10:06 AM

Yes it can be done, there are some crazy German guys that put a Vortec S trim on Yammaha V-Max's, there fucking crazy, belt rides right beside your knee, My next door neighbor used to have a custom bike with a blower on it, it was a custom frame, with Vmax motor with a paxton blower, never got to talk to him much considering he only spoke austiran, and his wife spoke very little english.

Anyhow hope this helps....

Jesse

lostandconfused 01-08-2003 10:44 AM

alright i geuss i should be totally honest im not actually planning on supercharging the bike. i came across a thread a couple of nights ago that talked about a smog pump. now everyone knows what a smog pump is they have been on cars since 1970. they are just an air compressor, that is belt driven. well this thread said that this smog pump is an ideal supercharger for a bike. now before you start laughing, i just want you to know that the actual idea is true. the smog pump can actually pump up to 60 psi(for a very short time) but it can do 10 psi no problem. and laugh if you want i dont care but i want to try it. so all i need is to find a pulley that i can replace with a double pulley so that i can attach a belt to it(or a gear). so please if you just want to poke fun at the idea, dont reply. but if you think you can help, please by all means i am gonna need all the help i can find. thanx

Dr Evil 01-08-2003 12:06 PM

I dont think anyone will make fun of you for trying something new.

If your going to try it on a bike, get something old that you wont be upset when you take it apart and possibly break something. Also you probably need a inline 4 bike, not a V twin.

Towels_R_not_Hats 01-08-2003 12:51 PM

Look on Ebay i seen a 95 GSX-R 1100 with a S/C it was really clean install...the bike was really nice put down 189hp to the wheel

Bob22b 01-08-2003 01:03 PM

Haha the old smog pump Idea

I also saw that page a long time ago and the little buggers seem great. The difficulty would be providing the correct fuel mixture, don't know what type of managment systems would be able to handle that on a bike.

Mr 2 01-08-2003 04:28 PM

I hate is when someone says this air pump can supply X amount of boost. X amount of boost is impossible claim without having conditions. If a motor pulls 120cfm and the pump pushes 110cfm how can you claim any boost?