Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Bike Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/)
-   -   Pointers for first time@dragsttrip? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/bike-tech/275229-pointers-first-time-dragsttrip.html)

SStillSSmokin 12-07-2005 07:09 AM

Pointers for first time@dragsttrip?

Hey guys, posting for a buddy of mine that will be running at the track for the first time on Sat.(TRackday). He is a very experienced rider, but has never been down the strip. I've never run a bike either, so I can tell him about staging etc. but, as far as launch technique, etc. I'm not much help. I told him how much more traction there is and to launch easy the first few times till he gets a feel for it. Anything else that would help is appreciated.
He will be riding a Suzuki Bandit 1200 if it matters.
Thanks!
Any special protective gear req.?

topper 12-07-2005 07:17 AM

never ridden down the strip on a bike, but my reccomendation would be go at it less than 100% until he is comfy

F*r*a*n*k*e*i 12-07-2005 07:44 AM

Launching a high R bike like that 1200 is tricky, but not too hard to master. Hell, I used to launch my Honda from 7,000 RPM. Get the bike up to a good power RPM and smoothly release the clutch. Try to match the clutch release and throttle to keep it up high in the RPM band until the clutch is out and you're down the strip. Too much throttle'll keep the clutch disengaged too long and too much clutch engagement'll grab too early and bog you down, so it's a delicate mix. Sure, you're going to eat a little clutch, but they're wet clutches, so it's nothing to worry about. Whatever you do, don't just drop the clutch or you're going sideways and down quick!

SStillSSmokin 12-07-2005 07:52 AM

Good stuff! Will pass it along! What about tire pressure? burnout or no?
Thanks!

F*r*a*n*k*e*i 12-07-2005 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by SStillSSmokin
Good stuff! Will pass it along! What about tire pressure? burnout or no?
Thanks!

I was running a Metzeler tire, normal riding pressure, with no burnout and my Magna caught the ground in new ways. The bike was two teeth up in back and 1 tooth down in front too. Bike tires are usually pretty sticky and the sportbikes lack that low-end grunt to bust a tire loose anyway. All the traction control I ever needed was in my left hand.

Matt the Pilot 12-07-2005 02:55 PM

First time I took my bike to the track I unfortunately, had no front fairing, and no tach... that first launch was nervewrecking. But it still ran a 10.96! =) One of the launches I damn near looped it so just BE EASY WITH THE THROTTLE till you get used to launching. And like Frank said, keep the rpm in the powerband by slipping the clutch.

TurboKaw 12-07-2005 04:19 PM

just pretend you are leaving a stop light fast and take it easy launching it, you don't have to set world records leaving the line. Once you get going just ride it like you stole it. and then just keep bumping it up. you will get plenty of runs on track night to try things out.

??? 12-07-2005 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by SStillSSmokin
Any special protective gear req.?

boots... just as long as they cover your ankle bones your good.

but real bike boots are the best.

sl2racer 12-08-2005 02:37 AM

gloves/ jacket/boots

B16aTeggy 12-08-2005 11:58 AM

feather the cluch in the first.. get low on the tank all the weight on the frontend. power 2-3-4-5 no clutch, watch 2nd tho might wheelie really high on bigger cc bikes