Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Rotas & Auto-xing

Old 03-10-2003, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by phatstang1
Any idea where I can find a good deal on a set of these wheels? Best I have found was $139 for the 16x7's.
If you've got your heart set on 16's, that's cool. But, you might want to compare the wide variety of 15" tires to the not-so-wide variety of 16" tires available. You have a lot more options with 15's... and they're cheaper.

Just a thought.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:56 PM
drives euro trash

I'm really split between getting 16's or 15's. I love the cost effectiveness of the 15's, yet if I want to upgrade my brakes sometime in the future I'll need to go back to 16's.

Any suggestions on some inexpensive, light, wide 15 inchers? Are the Slipstreams my only decent choice?
Old 03-10-2003, 07:14 PM

I'm really split between getting 16's or 15's. I love the cost effectiveness of the 15's, yet if I want to upgrade my brakes sometime in the future I'll need to go back to 16's.
Upgrading brakes is a highly over-rated thing. Most cars need nothing more than better brake pads and maybe some brake ducting if they need anything at all. Typically, the most effective thing you can do to improve braking is get better tires.

Ask yourself what brake problem you're trying to address with bigger brakes, then see if you can find a simpler way to address the problem.

(it would be a shame to spend bucks on lightweight wheels, and even more bucks on a big-brake upgrade only to end up with the same unsprung/rotating mass when you're done!)

Read the brake articles here: Team scR Tech Articles

Any suggestions on some inexpensive, light, wide 15 inchers? Are the Slipstreams my only decent choice?
Here's where a lot of the Miata guys go for the lightest and least expensive wheels: Goodwin Racing
Old 03-10-2003, 08:17 PM
cone junkie

Kosei 15 x 7's have become a very popular road race wheel. ~140 bucks each too...not too shabby at all, and has proven to take some major abuse.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 03-11-2003, 05:22 PM
drives euro trash

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
Kosei 15 x 7's have become a very popular road race wheel. ~140 bucks each too...not too shabby at all, and has proven to take some major abuse.
Unfortunately the only K1 applications for the Focus are the 16's and 17's.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:42 PM
cone junkie

Enkei RP-01s, if you can find them are another good choice.

Whatever happened to FSP?

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 03-12-2003, 05:55 AM
drives euro trash

How about Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1? They have a 15x7 application for the Focus that weighs in just under 14lbs each. Hear any good/bad feedback on these wheels?

Also, would a 215 fit on a 7inch wide rim and still have enough lip exposed for the alignment machine to grap ahold of?
Old 03-12-2003, 06:04 AM

How about Team Dynamics Pro-Race 1? They have a 15x7 application for the Focus that weighs in just under 14lbs each. Hear any good/bad feedback on these wheels?

Also, would a 215 fit on a 7inch wide rim and still have enough lip exposed for the alignment machine to grap ahold of?
Too heavy. If you're serious about performance and handling, get something in the 12 lb range or lighter.

Alignment head fit depends on the specific rim lip design and the specific tire, not just the sizes. Also depends on the alignment head, there are several types.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:59 AM
cone junkie

15 x 7 and under 12 lbs? I think you've been listening to Chet too much with his "Volks are worth it" crap

14 lbs isnt bad. Rotational weight isnt nearly as important as most people think. The unsprung weight factor is more important.

-93 MR2, #129 ES
Old 03-12-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by PseudoRealityX
15 x 7 and under 12 lbs? I think you've been listening to Chet too much with his "Volks are worth it" crap

14 lbs isnt bad. Rotational weight isnt nearly as important as most people think. The unsprung weight factor is more important.
Rotational weight IS unsprung weight. Lighter wheels are a win-win proposition.

You can get a good 6.5" wheel at 12 lbs (or less) or a 7" wheel at 14 lbs... it's a trade-off, as is everything else on a vehicle.

I don't think an extra half-inch of width is worth 2 lbs. You might not notice the difference on your car, but I can certainly feel a 2 lb difference in the wheels on my Miata. It has to be closer to 5 to really feel it in acceleration, but even 1 pound can be felt when braking and in the heft of the steering. (you can feel things like that when you don't have power steering masking the inputs)

Just changing tires from heavy Azenis to lighter S-03's made a noticeable difference in steering feel.

If he's not planning to run wider than a 215 (or maybe a 225), a 6.5 would be adequate. 7 would, of course, be better for anything over 205... but not 2 lbs better.