LeMans LM24 2017 notes, stories, etc by various writers - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Le Mans 24 Hours - Full Race 2017 // No Commentary // Multiscreen

by Amplified Netherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fanB6OOn1is
    NOV 11: All Cars 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/event-coverage/824717-every-2nd-saturday-we-having-free-breakfast-tampa.html and Simply Clean 2500 car meet at Destination Daytona...party starts Friday night.

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
    What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!
    https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/b...ontact-us.html

Have a great day! [email protected] and 813-839-4281 (24 hrs)

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

'Just wasn't our day' for Le Mans win - Taylor

Sunday, 18 June 2017

By RACER Staff / Image by JEP/LAT

While Corvette Racing climbed the Le Mans podium for the second time in four years, its third-place finish by Jordan Taylor, Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen was a tough pill to swallow.
    Taylor dueled with Jonny Adam in the No. 97 Aston Martin Vantage to the line after the final round of pit stops, with Taylor initially proving untouchable. But Adam's multiple attempts to take the lead paid off when Taylor made a mistake into the second Mulsanne, causing a slow puncture on the car. Adam then got by at the Ford Chicanes at the start of the final lap.
    The C.7R limped across the line third, having also been passed by the No. 67 Ford Chip Ganassi Team UK entry driven by Harry Tincknell, the ninth class win for the American marque denied at the last moment.

"Obviously it was a disappointing finish," Taylor said. "But if you look at the whole 24-hour race, we weren't always up front. So leaving with a podium finish is something we can be proud of. When you come so close, extremely close, that is the frustrating part. I think we showed a never-give-up attitude.

"We went two minutes down early in the race and fought back from there. A lot of people doubted that we could bring it back. I think everyone executed well and unfortunately it just wasn't our day."

The No. 63 Corvette overcame an early-race tire puncture, as well as a brake change near the 10.5-hour mark – Corvette says it took approximately 75 seconds to do all four wheels – and the engineering team got the car back on the same pit strategy as the race leaders just after dawn Sunday.

"If you have a small mistake, your plan changes and this turns into a catch-up race," Garcia said. "That's what happened to us. It took us 18 or 19 hours to catch back up to the leaders after the small puncture in my first stint. Another small puncture took out the opportunity for us to win this race. We had two of them at exactly the wrong moments. It's a shame.
    "After all the good work and strategy calls we made today, it's disappointing. We were in the right spot to win. It was a fair fight with the Aston Martin. We had a chance but it didn't happen. We come here to win this race. There is no other place we want to be. It's a shame for the entire team. We all worked very hard in preparation. Both Jan and Jordan did fantastic jobs driving. There were just a number of things that went against us."
    Added Magnussen: "The race was one where everyone was so close and so evenly matched. When Antonio had a cut tire and had to come in early (in his second stint), that put us behind everybody and on a different strategy. That also meant that we would not be catching the slow zones in the same everyone else and that really started to bite us. So we fell further and further back. Until we got back on the same strategy as everyone else, it was an uphill fight.
    "But the car was good and the team worked fantastic the whole time. Antonio and Jordan drove perfect throughout the whole race. When we perform like this as a team, it's difficult not to be disappointed with the outcome. A podium at Le Mans is pretty decent; it's just not what we came for."
    NOV 11: All Cars 2nd Saturday Free Breakfast click: https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/event-coverage/824717-every-2nd-saturday-we-having-free-breakfast-tampa.html and Simply Clean 2500 car meet at Destination Daytona...party starts Friday night.

Tampa Racing.com covers the Tampa car scene and supports many fund raisers, worthy causes and events that enrich our community. We hope you enjoy them all.
    What do I do? ---- on-site *Aftermarket* spring/suspension installations --- on-site impact wrenching---street lowering with your own stock springs...........True Bi-xenon HID projector headlight conversions........ Much more at Bob's Garage!

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

No. 2's improbable comeback scores Porsche's 19th LM24 win

Sunday, 18 June 2017

By Stephen Kilbey / Images by Rainier Ehrhardt/LAT & JEP/LAT

The No. 2 Porsche 919 Hybrid of Timo Bernhard, Earl Bamber and Brendon Hartley claimed the victory in the 85th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans. In a race of attrition, all five factory Hybrids hit major trouble in the searing heat, with three of them retiring.
    It culminated in a chase to the flag, the No. 2 driving from 52nd overall to first throughout the race. The comeback came after an early loss of drive from a front-axle problem four hours into the race, to take the win from the No. 38 Jackie Chan DC Racing ORECA 07 Gibson of Thomas Laurent, Oliver Jarvis and Ho-Pin Tung in Hour 23.

For the other factory hybrids, the race was a disaster. Toyota had a stranglehold on the race in the opening hours, running 1-2 for most of the run to darkness, with the No. 7 eventually emerging as the leader as the car quickest over a single lap.

Yet again though, Toyota's chance of winning its first Le Mans ended in heartbreaking fashion. The No. 7 lost power with a clutch issue after a safety car 10 hours into the race, eventually retiring out at Maison Blanche, Kamui Kobayashi unable to limp home for repairs. Moments later, the No. 9, which was the other Toyota at that point in the running, retired too.
    A fuel cut sent Nicolas Lapierre into a violent spin into Turn 1, wiping out the No. 25 Manor ORECA on its trip to the gravel. The damage to the left-rear corner was severe, and like his teammate, Lapierre was unable to make it back either.
    To make matters worse, Toyota's third car was already out of running by that point, the car having to make an early hybrid system change costing it over an hour in the pits. Sebastien Buemi, Anthony Davidson and Kazuki Nakajima managed to finish the race, and second in LMP1, but it was a small consolation for what was another missed opportunity for the team.
    The No. 1 Porsche suffered a similar fate to that of the aforementioned Toyotas. Heading into the second half of the race, Andre Lotterer, Nick Tandy and Neel Jani held an enormous lead, as the only LMP1 Hybrid which didn't hit trouble in the opening hours.
    Its lead eventually grew to 13 laps toward the end of the race, the LMP2 runners from second place downward, leaving it with little competition. But drama would strike again, forcing the car into retirement after Andre Lotterer lost power with just over three hours to go, eventually grinding to a halt down the Mulsanne Straight.
    It left the No. 2 with a mountain to climb, but it managed to take the win, handing Brendon Hartley his first Le Mans victory and Earl Bamber and Timo Bernhard their second.
    "It's unreal," Hartley told FOX Sports. "It was a roller coaster of a race. Obviously we had a problem early on, we didn't really dream of coming back, but we fought so hard, so did the mechanics to get it back out there. It's an event I'm going to remember forever, with Earl, Timo and the whole Porsche family. I'm kind of at a loss for words at the moment!"
    Jackie Chan DC powers to historic LMP2 victory
    The LMP2 race was a roller coaster, with the eventual winners in the No. 38 in with a chance of winning the race outright after the LMP1 dramas. Instead though, they became the first winners in the new LMP2 era at Le Mans, and the first ever LMP2 team to lead the race outright.
    Behind, the No. 13 Vaillante Rebellion ORECA 07 finished second, Nelson Piquet Jr., David Heinemeier Hansson and Mathias Beche having a challenging run to the finish. The trio led throughout the first half of the race, before multiple small issues and a penalty for a pit stop infraction cost them valuable time, and a chance of winning the race.
    Bart Hayden's crew did look set for a third-place finish with the race winding down, though, after the No. 35 Signatech Alpine took a firm grasp on second as a result of the No. 13's delays. But a huge error by Andre Negrao at Arnage in the final hour caused the Brazilian to go off into the barriers and dropped them to fourth in the class. It promoted the No. 37 Jackie Chan DC Racing ORECA of Alex Brundle, Tristan Gommendy and David Cheng to third.
    Rounding out the top five behind the Alpine was the best of the non-ORECA runners – the United Autosports Ligier JS P217 – which had a near faultless run, but lacked the pace to be able to take advantage of the misfortunes of those ahead. It was nevertheless a strong finish for the Ligier, against much faster equipment.
    Of the other teams that were in the running early on, the pole-sitting G-Drive Racing ORECA crashed out in the first hour after an erratic move by Roman Rusinov, slamming into the No. 88 Proton Porsche. The No. 24 Manor ORECA also ran well, but finished seventh in LMP2 after late dramas in the pits.
    Next page: GT classes and event results.

Incredible GTE Pro victory for Aston Martin Racing
    Aston Martin Racing scored its first GTE Pro win at Le Mans, and the first top GT class win since 2008. The No. 97 Vantage of Jonny Adam, Darren Turner and Daniel Serra kept in the fight throughout, and won a showdown against the No. 63 Corvette Racing C7.R in the final hour.
    It was a dramatic duel between the No. 63 and No. 97 Aston right to the line after the final round of stops. Jordan Taylor in the No. 63 initially proved untouchable, Jonny Adam in the trailing Aston making multiple attempts to take the lead, including a dive into Arnage on the penultimate lap. But he couldn't get past.
    The Aston win was instead sealed by a mistake into the second Mulsanne Chicane by Taylor which caused a slow puncture on the car. Adam then got by at the Ford Chicanes at the start of the final lap.
    In the end the Corvette finished third, the No. 67 Ford of Harry Tincknell on a late charge nabbing second at the end of the final lap. The C.7R limped across the line, the ninth class win for the American marque denied at the last moment.
    "It's always great to win, but you can't feel bad about having a great race like that and having it come down to the last lap in a 24-hour race," Corvette's Gary Pratt told FOX. "It's just fantastic racing and hats off to those guys [Aston Martin], they did a good job...and we were one lap shy, man!"
    It was an incredible fight for the entire 24 Hours in Pro. The Le Mans-specific BoP proving to keep all five factories in the hunt. At various points, each manufacturer led, leading to a frantic end to the race with surprise contenders.
    Off the podium was the No. 91 Porsche 911 RSR, which faded in the final hours and finished a lap off the lead, ahead of the No. 71 AF Corse Ferrari 488.
    Of the contenders that hit trouble, the Risi Ferrari was rudely shoved into a barrier in the opening hours by the TDS Racing ORECA, the No. 51 AF Corse Ferrari lost multiple laps due to damage repairs and the No. 95 Aston Martin suffered a violent puncture, an off at Mulsanne corner and later a loss of power which snatched any chances of victory from the Marco Sorensen, Nicki Thiim and Richie Stanaway's grasp.
    Rookies win GTE Am for JMW
    JMW Motorsport enjoyed a fairytale win in GTE Am after a year away from racing at Le Mans. The British team, in its first race with the Ferrari 488, and with three rookie drivers – Rob Smith, Dries Vanthoor and Will Stevens – dominated the second half of the race, finishing two laps ahead of the other runners.
    JMW's win headlined a 1-2-3 for Ferrari in the class, with the No. 55 Spirit of Race Ferrari second and the No. 62 Scuderia Corsa Ferrari of IMSA regulars Townsend Bell, Bill Sweedler and Cooper MacNeil third.
    It was the most drama-free class, though multiple contenders faultered. The No. 98 Aston Martin Racing Vantage had a costly puncture from the lead which cost it valuable time in its pit box for repairs. The TF Sport Aston Martin also featured in the top three but an off by Turk Salih Yoluc dropped the British team down the order.
    Just shy of a trip to the rostrum was the Beechdean AMR Aston in fourth, and the No. 61 Clearwater Racing Ferrari, which took home 50 WEC points by beating all its full-season rivals.
    The 2017 Le Mans 24 Hours was a memorable one, for so many reasons. The heat, the heartbreak, the battles in GTE, and the attrition in prototypes all made for an astonishing day of racing at La Sarthe.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Akio Toyoda issues comment on LM24

Sunday, 18 June 2017

Following another disappointing 24 Hours of Le Mans for his company's works LMP1 prototype team, Akio Toyoda, President of Toyota Motor Corporation, issued the following comment about the race. It is reproduced here, in full:

"Sorry we weren't able to let you drive all out."
    Normally, it would be proper to start off with words of appreciation for the support provided to us by our fans. However, for this time at Le Mans, I think I must first direct my opening words to our drivers.
    To me, at Le Mans for the first time, our drivers said, "We want you up together with us at the center of the podium," "For that, we definitely don't want to lose," and "So fight together with us."
    In return, I said: "Drive all out. Trust the cars the mechanics readied for you. Enjoy Le Mans."
    Despite telling them such, I was not able to allow them to drive all out. This, I truly regret.
    Even though our drivers drove believing in our cars, I can only say how sorry and how full of regret I am.
    I believe that the Toyota engineers, mechanics and parts suppliers, who built our cars for this battle, all feel the same.
    Therefore, bearing the burden as a representative of all such people, please let me say once again: "Sorry we weren't able to let you drive all out."
    Also, to all the people related to the Toyota team, including our nine drivers, I would like to share two things on my mind at this moment.
    The first is for our fans.
    To all the fans who supported us believing in victory for Toyota, I am truly sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations.
    And for believing in us and giving us your passionate support for 24 hours all the way to the end, I want to express my deepest appreciation. Thank you. Thank you all so very much.
    Once again, Toyota will strive for the day on which we can, together, have smiles on our faces.
    The second is for the Porsche team.
    After last year's battle, I happily received many comments from people at Porsche recognizing us as a rival.
    To live up to having been called a "rival" I had thought that what we needed to do this year was to again put up a brilliant fight that would captivate the fans.
    That is why the team was able to take up bold challenges that resulted in new technologies and skills.
    To the Porsche team, I say congratulations. And I also say thank you very much.
    In the end, however, Toyota was not able to put up the kind of fight that could captivate the fans, like it did last year.
    This time, both Porsche and we, Toyota, were not able to complete without incident 24 hours of driving in the hybrid cars that we put to the challenge on the roads of Le Mans.
    Both even winning car No. 2 and our car No. 8, which completed the race, were forced to undergo time-consuming, trouble-caused repairs, before struggling to cross the finish line.
    While the hybrid technology that has advanced through competition in the FIA World Endurance Championship puts its abilities on display in six-hour races, it might be that it is not yet ready for the long distance of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
    The power of electricity is absolutely necessary for cars take on a more-emotional presence.
    Le Mans is a precious laboratory in which we can continue to take up the challenges related to the technologies involved, putting such technologies to the test in an extreme environment.
    We will hone our technologies even further and ripen them to provide our customers with technologies that will truly make them smile. And we, Toyota, will go on making effort after effort so that we can continue making ever-better cars.
    We invite you to look forward to what we will be able to achieve. Thank you.
    Akio Toyoda
    President
    Toyota Motor Corporation

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    My appeal argument would be that there was no significant competition edge to
    the body being altered.......much the same as some cars had their body work altered by crash damage. Did the crash damage give them a significant competition edge? Did they get total
    disqualification also?

Le Mans LMP2 podium finisher disqualified

Monday, 19 June 2017

By Marshall Pruett / Image by JEP/LAT

The No. 13 Vaillante Rebellion entry has been disqualified from its second-place finish in the LMP2 category at the 24 Hours of Le Mans after a technical infringement was found in Parc Ferme.

Technical inspectors did not have to look hard to find the No. 13 ORECA 07-Gibson chassis, driven by Nelson Piquet Jr., David Heinemeier Hansson, and Mathias Beche was out of compliance. Faced with the dilemma of a sticking starter motor late in the race, the Rebellion team drilled a visible hole atop the right side of the engine cover – in proximity to the starter – that allowed a crew member to use a long rod and hammer to strike the starter.

The age-old trick of using a heavy blow to the starter solenoid worked, which allowed the No. 13's drivers to fire the engine and resume racing. Unfortunately, the rules do not permit intentional bodywork modifications – not in the newly-spec LMP2 class where the bodywork is homologated, and as a result, the car and drivers were disqualified.

The choice to drill the hole was made to save time; had the team elected to remove the engine cover, strike the solenoid, and reinstall the engine cover during the final pit stops after the problem arose, it would have lost more time, and possibly surrendered its podium finish, but would have remained within the rules.
    The stewards cited Article 3 of the LMP2 technical regulations, which states, "No bodywork variation is permitted," to base their finding.
    "The stewards therefore determined that the competitor's car deliberately took part in some part of the race with bodywork in violation of the homologation, there being no crash damage or other cause which may be in mitigation."
    Making matters worse, technical inspectors witnessed the Vaillante Rebellion team making an attempt to cover up the hole while the No. 13 sat in Parc Ferme; the ACO makes it clear to every competitor that contact with its car is not allowed.
    According to the stewards' finding, "Mr. Benjamin Caron (an FIA assistant technical delegate) saw the hole the competitor placed in the homologated bodywork. He then stated that while he was downloading information from the car, mechanics from the team came to the car and placed 'bear bond' (which is large sections of sticky tape commonly used to effect quick repairs to bodywork in motorsports) with a white tape cover similar to the color of the bodywork, over the hole."
    Caron and Vaillante Rebellion team member Ian Smith, who was attached to the car while in Parc Ferme, then had an exchange.
    "Mr. Caron stated that he told Ian Smith... that it was not permitted to touch the car in Parc Ferme, and Mr. Smith attempted to remove the tape before being stopped by Mr. Caron. Mr. Smith was only able to remove the white covering in the process, but not the 'bear bond.'"
    Team manager Bart Hayden told the inspectors he'd instructed the mechanics to apply the tape and close the hole during one of the final pit stops, and thought it had been done. A suitable answer on why a decision was made to try and cover the hole after the race, and while in Parc Ferme, was not provided.
    "[Hayden] was candid with the stewards that he could not offer any explanation for the actions of the mechanics in Parc Ferme."
    Despite the apparent attempt at a literal cover-up, no additional penalties beyond the disqualification were listed.
    With the stewards' decision, the No. 37 Jackie Chan DC Racing entry was promoted to second, giving the JOTA Sport-run team a 1-2 finish, and the fourth-place No. 35 Signatech Alpine Matmut entry was promoted to the podium.
    Vaillante Rebellion has confirmed its intention to file an appeal with the officials.
    In another key stewards' decision, G-Drive Racing has been penalized for Roman Rusinov's collision with the No. 88 Proton Competition Porsche in the second hour of the race at the Porsche Curves.
    The penalty for Rusinov's collision is a three-minute stop-and-go to be served by the team at the FIA WEC round at the Nurburgring, with a further three-minute stop and go penalty suspended for the following three WEC races.
    RACER's Stephen Kilbey also contributed to this report.
    Last edited by senor honda; 06-20-2017 at 12:07 AM.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Toyota vows Le Mans return

Monday, 19 June 2017

By Marshall Pruett / Image by JEP/LAT

Toyota will pick itself up and make another attempt to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Its 19th try, which only added to the mounting sorrow that began at Circuit de la Sarthe in 1985, concluded with two of three Toyota TS050 HYBRIDs failing long before the finish; only the No. 8 TS050 made it to the finish line, albeit many laps down.
    Following its crushing defeat in the 18th try, when the TS050 came within three minutes of winning last year's race, most fans would understand a decision to step away from Le Mans, but team president Toshio Sato says the proud team will not quit.
    "We will analyze what went wrong because we cannot accept a double retirement like that during the night," he said. "We will come back stronger and more determined than ever; our Le Mans challenge will continue."
    In concert with heartfelt statements from Toyota Motor Corporation president Akio Toyoda, who was at Le Mans and witnessed the team's struggles firsthand, Sato reflected on the wide range of emotions that were felt while honoring his team's efforts.
    "The whole team is devastated by what happened here, after all the hard work and effort over the last months to come to Le Mans with such a competitive car," he said. "Our pace was very good all week and we were leading a tough fight with Porsche. The drivers, engineers and mechanics performed superbly this week and I would like to thank them. Of course, we sincerely congratulate Porsche on their victory because undoubtedly they deserved to win today. For Toyota, we must leave Le Mans again without the winner's trophy, despite the amazing support from the fans here."

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Le Mans: Tony Kanaan's Final Report for RACER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjJ_T8V2nCY

Tony Kanaan and Ford Chip Ganassi Racing teammates Joey Hand and Dirk Muller bid farewell to the 24 Hours of Le Mans in a final video report for RACER from France.

Kanaan's other 3 reports are scattered above as they came in.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Video of person giving him thumbs up has disappeared.......

Connecting dots of No. 7 Toyota LM24 clutch failure

Tuesday, 20 June 2017

By Marshall Pruett / Image by Rainier Ehrhardt/LAT

A fishy set of circumstances has been blamed for the clutch failure that took the No. 7 Toyota TS050 HYBRID out of contention for the win at Le Mans last weekend.
    Ten hours into the 24-hour contest, polesitter Kamui Kobayashi left the No. 7's pit box after a routine stop under Safety Car conditions. The Japanese driver waited at the end of pit lane, per procedure, and would be sent out onto the racing surface behind the safety car once it motored past the pits.
    Algarve Pro Racing driver Vincent Capillaire, whose pit stall was adjacent to where Kobayashi sat in his Toyota, chose to run out and give a quick thumbs-up to the race's dominant performer. Mistaking the Frenchman's thumbs-up for approval to leave the pits, Kobayashi accelerated away under electric power before a radio transmission from the Toyota team instructed him to stop.
    Once the safety car went past, Kobayashi departed for the third time and soon found his clutch was malfunctioning. The car would eventually retire after multiple restarts were made throughout the 8.5-mile circuit.
    The Toyota Gazoo Racing team has apportioned the blame on Capillaire, whose firesuit bore a strong resemblance to those worn on pit lane by track marshals, for setting the chain reaction in motion.
    "Saturday night, during the race ... I wanted to show my encouragement to the leader car, stopped at red light a few meters in front of my box," he said. "It was a spontaneous encouragement mark as it happens between pilots. I was fined by stewards for this gesture and I admit it was inopportune. I'm sorry."

After the race, Toyota Racing technical director Pascal Vasselon attributed the clutch failure to confusion caused by Capillaire, which led Kobayashi to leave for a second time in full-electric mode, which is normally reserved for leaving the No. 7's pit box. Kobayashi also, according to Vasselon, left the third time in full-electric mode.
    In its standard pit-launch mode, the Toyotas pull away using electric power and eventually trigger the 2.4-liter twin-turbo V6 internal combustion engine to spark to life farther down pit lane; this method saves fuel.
    The three harsh engine triggerings in such a short time span is what led to the clutch failure, according to Vasselon, but what hasn't been explained is why Kobayashi failed to switch from the electric-to-V6 start procedure to the full-V6 start that he was supposed to do upon receiving approval to leave the end of pit lane and fall in behind the safety car.
    The No. 7 driver was shown sitting on pit lane, waiting for the safety car with nothing else to do, and had ample time to switch starting procedures. The same was true while waiting for the safety car before his third and final start-up procedure.
    Capillaire was at fault for giving Kobayashi a false impression that a track marshal approved his return to the track, which led the No. 7 to start one more time than was necessary.
    Last edited by senor honda; 06-21-2017 at 05:16 AM.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    IMSA Teams, Drivers Return Following Eventful 24 Hours of Le Mans

Thursday, June 22, 2017

When Jordan Taylor started the final lap in last Sunday’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, the 26-year-old IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship regular was one lap from history: his second career Le Mans triumph, a sixth consecutive victory going back to a perfect 5-for-5 start alongside brother Ricky Taylor in WeatherTech Championship competition, and a remarkable ninth class victory for Corvette at Le Mans.
    But when the No. 63 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R came around for the checkered flag 8.46 miles later, Taylor limped across the finish line in third, the victim of a punctured tire.
    It certainly wasn’t the outcome Corvette Racing expected, but it was nonetheless a day to be proud of for the team, Taylor and co-drivers Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen.
    "Obviously it was a disappointing finish,” Taylor said. “But if you look at the whole 24-hour race, we weren’t always up front. Leaving with a podium finish is something we can be proud of. When you come so close, extremely close, that is the frustrating part.
    “I think we showed a never-give-up attitude. We went two minutes down early in the race and fought back from there. A lot of people doubted that we could bring it back. I think everyone executed well and unfortunately it just wasn’t our day."
    The No. 63 Corvette C7.R clawed its way into contention after the early setback. Meanwhile, teammates Oliver Gavin, Tommy Milner and Marcel Fässler placed eighth in the GTE Pro class in the No. 64 Corvette Racing entry.
    GTE Pro also featured the Ford Chip Ganassi Racing Team USA Ford GTs that regularly compete in the WeatherTech Championship. Last year’s race-winning No. 68 Ford GT of Joey Hand, Dirk Mueller and Tony Kanaan came home in sixth place, followed by the No. 69 Ford GT of Ryan Briscoe, Richard Westbrook and Scott Dixon in seventh.
    Risi Competizione also flew the IMSA flag in the class, but the No. 82 Ferrari 488 GTE of Giancarlo Fisichella, Toni Vilander and Pierre Kaffer retired early after heavy contact with a barrier following an incident involving an LM P2 car.
    A total of four IMSA teams and 26 drivers that will compete in next weekend’s WeatherTech Championship event at Watkins Glen were entered in the race at Le Mans.
    In addition to the podium finish for Corvette Racing, Townsend Bell and Bill Sweedler earned their third straight Le Mans podium result in the GTE Am class, with a third-place run in the No. 62 WeatherTech Ferrari 488 GTE fielded by Scuderia Corsa that they shared with full-time WeatherTech Championship racer Cooper MacNeil.
    Scuderia Corsa also fielded the No. 65 Ferrari 488 GTE for WeatherTech Championship GTD co-champions Christina Nielsen and Alessandro Balzan, along with another WeatherTech Championship regular in Bret Curtis. That entry fought back from a myriad of issues to get the car back on track in the final minutes to finish the race.
    The all-IMSA championship leader lineup of Jeroen Bleekemolen, Ben Keating and Ricky Taylor struggled with mechanical issues after an early incident and finished 20th in the LM P2 class in the No. 43 Keating Motorsports Riley MK30 Gibson.
    With the 24 Hours of Le Mans now in the books, WeatherTech Championships teams and drivers set their sights on the summer swing that begins with the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen on Sunday, July 2.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Toyota, Capillaire make peace over LM24 incident

here's the incident: you be the judge: a bizarre incident on pitlane Thursday, 22 June 2017

RACER Staff / Image by JEP/LAT

Toyota Gazoo Racing says that it has accepted an apology from LMP2 racer Vincent Capillaire for his part in the bizarre incident that contributed to the Japanese marque losing its best chance at winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Toyota's No.7 TS050 HYBRID started last weekend's race from pole and held command during the first nine hours before being forced into retirement with a clutch failure. It later transpired that the failure was traced to a bizarre incident on pitlane, where Kamui Kobayashi was waiting to take the No.7 back onto the track during a safety car period.

Algarve Pro Racing driver Vincent Capillaire walked over to the Toyota and gave it a thumbs-up – a gesture he later said was meant in solidarity. "I wanted to show my encouragement to the leader car, stopped at a red light a few meters in front of my pit box," he wrote on his Facebook page. "It was a spontaneous encouragement mark."
    Kobayashi, however, apparently mistook Capillaire's orange and black racesuit for the similarly-colored ones worn by ACO pitlane officials, and interpreted the gesture as a signal to return to the track. He began to pull away, only to be called back by the team. In the process, he made several stops in and starts with the car still in fully-electric pit mode, using a clutch that is designed to start the combustion engine when the car is already at speed, not when it is stationary. The clutch burned out, and the car, drained of power, went into limp mode shortly after returning to the track and came to a halt in the Porsche Curves.
    Capillaire was later fined for the incident, and Toyota said in a statement on Thursday that it accepts that his gesture was well-intentioned:
    "Toyota Gazoo Racing can confirm it has received an apology from Vincent Capillaire regarding his actions during the Le Mans 24 Hours. We have fully accepted his apology and acknowledge that his sporting gesture was never intended to cause any negative consequences for our No.7 car. We remain on good terms with Vincent and we consider the matter is now closed."
    Last edited by senor honda; 06-24-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    I don't normally show crashes. You can see plenty of that on the thrill seekers TV.
    Here's what they are talking about:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO-pVeop25k

Vaxiviere apologizes for Le Mans crash

Wednesday, 21 June 2017

Mark Glendenning / Image by Rozendaal/LAT

Matthieu Vaxiviere has apologized to Risi Competizione and driver Pierre Kaffer for causing the crash that put the Houston-based team's No.72 Ferrari 488 GTE out of last weekend's 24 Hours of Le Mans.
    Vaxiviere, who was making his Le Mans debut in an LMP2 ORECA run by TDS Racing, was passing the slower Ferrari on the Mulsanne Straight five hours into the race but moved back across to reclaim his line too early, sideswiping the Ferrari and sending it spinning into the wall.

The 22-year-old Frenchman, who was heavily criticized in the aftermath for causing an avoidable accident, issued a statement on Wednesday:
    "Further to the different posts I have read on the internet after the accident I had at Le Mans, I must be humble toward my motorsport family and my fans.
    "My first concern is to apologize again to Pierre Kaffer and to the team Risi Competizione, which I did personally after the race. I know I did wrong and I am sorry about this, and to be honest when I passed Pierre I really thought I was ahead of the Ferrari when I came back in my racing line. I misjudged the action and be sure I did not do that on purpose.
    "I can understand the great disappointment for the team and the fans, and again I apologize from the bottom of my heart, and my first concern when I saw the video was to have medical news [about] Pierre, [whom] I found out was doing OK, and that's the most important [thing] now.
    "I have learned from this mistake, and now I will go on with our team work to pursue my race career. Of course these kinds of accidents are really bad, but unfortunately I am not the only one to whom this has happened. My goal us to not do that ever again."
    Vaxiviere's apology was swiftly accepted by Kaffer via Twitter:
    "Thank you Matthieu as I wrote u already I accept your apologize [sic]. You pay [for] the coffee."
    The TDS team was issued a seven-minute stop-and-go penalty for the incident, and the car subsequently crashed out of the race towards the end of hour 15 when Emmanuel Collard lost control in the exit of the Porsche Curves
    Last edited by senor honda; 06-22-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    United Autosports report LM24

United Autosports driver Filipe Albuquerque checks in with RACER after the team finished fourth on its debut at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoEeSF4uals

The company:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6M--efCvX4

Historics:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZulBb8uB3w

Engineer Bernadette Collins
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwNeFTmlwas

Mark Patterson
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ_5bjX36A0
    Last edited by senor honda; 06-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    My first LeMans:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyOcOX9R68I

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    12 videos...maybe in order.... lol........ highlights

Compared to post #57 as they came in during the race.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjK5...MDNawLuGyvDaFH

Registered
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Full Race Part 1 English official broadcast
    Get some snacks and you can watch this video like the real race....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QULuRqHw3U0

by alfora

you can also stop the tape to use the bathroom.....
    Last edited by senor honda; 06-24-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information