Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

400HP930 -VS- The Clock (and other auto-xers too)

Old 08-11-2002, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400HP930 -VS- The Clock (and other auto-xers too)

My hopes started high today for my first official auto-x with my new wheels (especially since some earlier activities indicated I should be 2-3 seconds faster on the typical 1 minute course).

My group ran last after suffering through a 2 - 3 hour haul as course workers. Suffering is always more bearable when you know there is a good reward awaiting you, correct?

I perused the earlier results and guestimatd that I should be able to break into the upper 40s if all went well. Time to shine.

I ran my first run in my usual concervative fashion and was expecting low 50s but when I passed the timer display I saw 57.399.

I'm like WTF? That SUCKED big time. Every second is an eternity in auto-x and to be over 7 seconds behind the good cars and drivers was VERY DISCOURAGING.

I thought I must have been doing something very wrong to have been so slow so the second time I pushed MUCH harder, resulting in a complete 180 degree spinout on the back stretch in a slalom which FUBARed that run.

I also pushed hard on the third and got a 51.005 and in the process tipped a cone in the end but I was happy that it was still much better than the 57.399.

I screwed my 4th run up bad and got 57 seconds again. Blah . . .
If not for the 51 and a cone I thought this was going to be my worse auto-x ever.

Where things got strange is when all was done I'm looking at the results list and out of the 3 people in ASP I'm number 1 (yeah, my first first in ASP ever). Then I look at the winning run and see that the first time that I thought sucked at 57 seconds was my best clean run at 51 seconds and I'm like WTF, I know I saw 57. I am then told that the time display has a glitch that is displaying ones as sevens.

I was so disappointed since that bogus time made me doubt my normal driving habbits and do a lot of things I would not have done if I knew how good the first run was. I guess its just proof positive that confindence is critical to good performance.

In the end though I am robbed of my first place finish since for some sexist reason the SCCA splits some of the crazy classes like ASP into a mens and womens class, and there was a talented lady in a boxter s running in the ladies ASP class that was bumped into my class. 2nd place don't give you jack squat in a 4 person class and this is not the first time this has happened to me in ASP.

This time around out of 106 competitors I am 31st fastest so I am happy to be in the top 30%.

During my one fun run after realizing I did do pretty well I took the course confidently and aggesively and got a 47.1XX (but barely snagged a few cones in the process) so I know I could have done better if I had not been second guessing myself.

To end a long story all I have to say is that I hope I can utilize all my potential at the next event.
Old 08-11-2002, 07:07 PM
Official Photo Ninja

DUDE I HAD A FUCKIN BLAST!!! Thanks! Esp to Porshe Guy, Fish, and damn it i can remember the other people that helped me out to day, i will rememeber your names when my sunburn stops stinging. well all in all had a blast wish i could see my scores! anyone know where i can get them!???

OH YEA i have a shit load of pics they should be on here Tomarrow night!!

Official Photographer of Festivals of Speed St. Pete, Orlando, & Miami.

Canon 7D..Stepped up my Game
Old 08-11-2002, 07:32 PM
Custom User Title

hehe i was out there watching people go, seemed like fun, will run when i get a job

Saturn you were taking it leasurly
Old 08-11-2002, 08:05 PM
drives euro trash

It was fun. Didn't do as well as I had hoped. Not afraid to admit that my driving skills need some improvement so I can be at least somewhat competitive in SM.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:46 PM
Haul'n the Family

I walked the course several times, and felt like I had a good view of it. I got out there in my lowly Altima and tried my best. I felt really dialed in, the car was quick, I felt confident my times would be good. What a dissapointment....I suck. My times blew chunks. I think my best time was 54.6 something. I couldn't figure out what was making me so slow! I tried taking it easy, and I tried pushing it hard.....no matter what I did, my times barely changed.
I've autocrossed several times (close to a dozen at least) I'm starting to think I have just outgrown my car and its limits and need something with more potential. Maybe I'm just making excuses. Hahaha! Oh well, I manged to place 4th in HS...(*cough...out of 4 cars....*cough)
Nevertheless....I had a good time. As always.

Anyone ever learn what happened to that convertible BMW's rear wheel in the first run group? That was freakin' weird how it almost fell off the car!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:51 PM

I hate all of you.
Old 08-11-2002, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by "fastforward"

I walked the course several times, and felt like I had a good view of it. I got out there in my lowly Altima and tried my best. I felt really dialed in, the car was quick, I felt confident my times would be good. What a dissapointment....I suck. My times blew chunks. I think my best time was 54.6 something. I couldn't figure out what was making me so slow! I tried taking it easy, and I tried pushing it hard.....no matter what I did, my times barely changed.
I've autocrossed several times (close to a dozen at least) I'm starting to think I have just outgrown my car and its limits and need something with more potential. Maybe I'm just making excuses. Hahaha! Oh well, I manged to place 4th in HS...(*cough...out of 4 cars....*cough)
Nevertheless....I had a good time. As always.

Anyone ever learn what happened to that convertible BMW's rear wheel in the first run group? That was freakin' weird how it almost fell off the car!
The beemer literally broke its lower control arm. I took a peek and it appears that the lower arm may have suffered some earlier trauma at one point or another long before it ever came to the auto-x.

And about your times, a 54 aint that bad. There were a lot of things about that course today that really penalized some cars more than others.

And my advice to Shawn, . . . get yourself an automobile and get to en event some time soon.

I keep thinking I'm going to meet you in person and you keep on snubbing us so you can attend to your 'family obligation' stuff. Blah . . .
Old 08-11-2002, 09:21 PM
Livin' in Seattle

The course was pretty well layed out and I loved it...until the end. The damned gates and offsets at the end were just ridiculously tight. Oh well, my times were respectable but I kept pushing a little too hard and the cluster fuck before the timing box enabled me to take out at least one cone per run.
It was good to see a lot of people out there running for the first time even though we had a bunch of you walk off without working the course.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:43 PM
TR Registered Member #5

i was too busy schoolin people at the track with their own cars, hehe, not like my car is working anyway.

anyone got a diagram of the track for the day? ill be at the season ender for sure.

Editor - Stangtv.com - Dragzine.com

2011 Mustang GT Premium 6-speed manual Sterling Gray Metallic - New Project Car
SCT SF3 - FRPP Adjustable Handling Pack - Vortech 597 RWHP 476 lb/ft - 7.5 PSI

1965 Mustang - Blow thru Dart SBF 427ci with a Paxton NOVI-2500
Hydraulic roller, 91 octane, 1030HP

Old 08-11-2002, 11:20 PM
bad ass fonzie

Originally posted by "SaturnTypeR"

DUDE I HAD A FUCKIN BLAST!!! Thanks! Esp to Porshe Guy, Fish, and damn it i can remember the other people that helped me out to day, i will rememeber your names when my sunburn stops stinging. well all in all had a blast wish i could see my scores! anyone know where i can get them!???OH YEA i have a shit load of pics they should be on here Tomarrow night!!
dude me and tony were looking for you to give you a ridealong, but failed to find you. we wanted you to see what the course looks like when you're passing cones fast enough you dont have time to reach out your window and pick them up. but hey you were out there, and you had fun- thats what it's all about.

hey tony- i placed 14th of 106! wow. . . . imagine if a good driver were driving my car. i wonder what danny could do in it?