Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

some questions about auto-xing

Old 05-27-2002, 08:35 PM
The Hoff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

was wondering what i would have to do to enter one of these events. i.e membership to scca? cost of that? cost of entry at event etc. etc.

what are the requirements to be able to enter the events i.e helmet etc.....

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

2009 Ford Escape - Stock Toy Hauler/DD

2007 Lexus RX350 - Stock Wife Hauler

2009 Kosmic - The Toy - 125cc Vortex Super Rok TAG, (For Sale - $2800)

2007 Intrepid Silverstone - The Faster Toy - CR125 6-Speed
Old 05-27-2002, 09:04 PM

You dont have to be a member but there is usually a registration discount if you are.

Not all events supply loaner helmets (and loaner helmets are usually gross) so I would recommend that you buy a helmet cause it will come in handy if do regularily autocross.

So go buy a helmet and show up on time for registration.

Oh yeah make sure you have optimum tire pressure to boot.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:10 AM
The Hoff

how much is the scca membership and which would be the best to get for a beginner who is interested mainly in roadracing and auto xing?

and do you register in advance for these events or do you have to do it the day of?

thanks.

Old 05-28-2002, 08:38 AM

Well first read this:
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm
Itll answer some questions.
The SCCA helmets are not too bad. I use them half the time when I forget my helmet or the tech is a butt and wont allow it (Ive had that problem less recently... lol)

SCCA events cost anywhere from $15 to $35 a day with Saturday usually being practice and Sunday being the race. Saturdays are far more laid back and you get more runs Sunday is the real deal.
You do not need to be a member but if you are you get a few monthly publications like Sports Car and the Checker (our local pub) PLUS a $5 or $10 discount depending on the event. Membership has its advantages. especially if you plan on making a long term hobby of racing. heres a link to the form so you can look at the fees.
http://www.scca.org/getstarted/memapp.pdf
If you are under 26 note the SpeedFreakz membership. YOu will not need a Competition License because I doubt you will be drivign a fully prepared race car any time soon asking these questions...
MOST events that youll start out in are DAY-OF registration events. As you getthe hang of it the larger events are pre-register-only events (like National Tour and ProSolo and even Solo 1)

Solo II is autocross cone course set up for speeds around hwy speeds.
ProSolo is autocross with a Light Tree to start 2 competitors on mirror courses (rare event).
National Tour is a regular Solo II only with national level competitors.
Solo Trials is an entry level event with Solo II car classes but with faster than highway speeds. This is more like road racing.
Solo I is road racing but not wheel to wheel. Fast as hell open road course one car at a time.
Club racing is where you get into wheel to wheel action.

You need alot of safety equipment for Solo 1 and Club like fire equipment driving suit roll cage window nets etc.

THIS WEEKEND WILL BE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY TO SEE WHAT RACING IS.
In Sebring this weekend the SCCA is having a dual event. The Club racers are racing on he Club course at Sebring and the Autocrossers (me) have use of the back straight (300x3000 of brushed concrete). This would be a great time to see both forms of racing and meet some people.

Hope I answered enough questions. If you have any more feel free to post away or PM me.
-Shawn
Old 05-28-2002, 04:02 PM
The Hoff

thanks alot i appreciate all the help.

kris

Old 05-28-2002, 05:18 PM
is cooler than you

Its mucho fun. I did my very first autox a few weeks ago and now Im hooked. You should definately make it out to the next one at the fairgrounds on June 15-16th. Even if you dont drive....at least come out to watch and maybe even ride along with some people.

Old 05-28-2002, 05:24 PM
OUCH!!!

Dont wait for the Fairgrounds... do sebring. It is going to be an amazing event. The course wont be limited by the size/shape of available pavement since there is a 300x3000ft segment to work with.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:08 PM
The Hoff

yeah.....i am in the process of selling my 1999 3.2tl so i can get into something a little more fun to drive. trying to get a type r. that would be pretty fun to have to tackle the twisties. i would def. like to meet up with some of you guys to kind of get introduced into the scene. a friend of mine and i are definitely going to be getting into it.

Old 05-28-2002, 07:42 PM

That friend would be me. Thanks for the great help. Another question.... It seems like the only thing I really need is a helmet. Is there a certain type I need and where would I go to get one?

Thanks
Mic
Old 05-28-2002, 08:19 PM
is cooler than you

I think it says what kind you need to have in the novice handbook or Im sure someone more experienced will know off hand. There is certain specs it has to be up to though I know.