Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Gainesville was AWESOME!!!!

Old 04-16-2002, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill post a link to results and pics as soon as I get them and for those of you whove been to the course lemme describe it:

start where tech normally is were using that u-turn... go bac ktowards teh skid pad and go left (where start normally is) and take the straight-away (no slaloms this time) and into the ESS(chicane) then into the increasing radius turn (you should exit ~60mph) then accelerate to the skid pad down this long straight then BRAKE so you can pull of a 120^ Right hander onto the skidpad which is a lefthander roll around that and transition back to the right so you can muscle down the outside back toward tech (the start/finish line for this race was halfway to tech down this straightaway)

max speed I saw was ~85. Best lap for me was a 61.3. Istepnios best lap was like 62.?.
You start onto the track immediately after the hairpin and complete an ALMOST COMPLETE lap before timing starts run 3 hot laps and end by going straight instead of into the hairpin.
Ill post a course map later.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:48 PM
1337 H4x0r

I really had a blast this weekend! The SoloI Time Trial event this weekend was like the SoloII autocross events but without all of the cones and slaloms which all really translates to much higher speeds and quite a bit more fun. The whole event was 100% top notch very much like the other 2 GIR SoloII events I have attended in the past. The event was setup to stage around 4 cars at one time into a pod and each car in the pod starts into a warm-up lap with around 15 seconds between the cars moving everything along quit effectively. Once you cross the timing box after the warm-up lap you are going at speed into your timed hot laps. The hot laps varied between 2-3 hot laps plus any re-run laps due to red flags timing issues flagging errors. I lost count after the first day but I must had about 35 hot laps the whole weekend I would without any doubts say I got my moneys worth for the weekend.

Track conditions during the weekend greatly varied from rain to blazing temperatures on the track surface. My new tires held up really nice and its hard to describe the improvement over my shitty RE92s. I did have some grip degradation when the track surface was really hot on top of 3+ hot laps with the tire heating up beyond the optimal grip temp. The tires are going to perfect for SoloII as they wont have a chance to get so hot the grip is great even under less than ideal conditions. I honestly was not very impressed with my brakes and it was clearly the weak point in the car. The brakes never gave out on me the whole weekend but not exactly ideal for this type of event. Overall I was impressed on how the WRX felt.

low-quality video: http://home.tampabay.rr.com/movies/april14th-sccasolotrials-wrx(low).wmv (1.7MB)
Old 04-21-2002, 01:18 PM
Haul'n the Family

WOW!!!! Looks great! Man your WRX looks fast! That is nothing like the GIR event I attended up there. It was run of the mill auto-x action when I was there in January.
Id really love to attend a race there where you have hot-laps like that. That is soooooo cool! Ive never seen anything like that! How often do events like that one take place. I imagine it would take more time outta the day to hold a race with the hot-laps. How many sets or heats of laps do you get to run? More info please!!!???
Old 04-21-2002, 07:53 PM

I dont know WHY I dont go to PCA evetns honestly...
Id love to not have anything to do but race.

Everyone comes to the Gainesville events because we feel COOL because we drive on an actual test track instead of an airfield or parking lot. Everyone SHOULD however be getting ready to go to Florida State Fairgrounds for some CHEAP ASS events... half the price of Gainesville. http://www.eec.com/racing

There will be at LEAST one more (hopefully two) solo trials event this year but you HAVE to be an SCCA member to do it. Then you have to purchase a novice license ($15) that will be good for a while.

We put in two sessions each day Sunday is a better example because Saturday was hampered by weather... but on Sunday we did one warm-up followed by 3 timed hot laps line up again do THAT again (6 timed) then you go work for a session while another group runs then have a session off then do the 3+3 again...
basically 12 timed laps per day if everything goes smoothly (based on 50 cars attending)

its a fucking blast!
Old 04-21-2002, 08:20 PM
drives euro trash

Is this going to be the setup for the Gainesville event coming up May 4-5 or will it be the one you setup the last time I went (back in March)?
Old 04-22-2002, 05:47 AM
OUCH!!!

May 4-5 is a Solo2 event so it will be a slower course with slaloms and such. Expect something similar to the March layout. Im sure Shawn will come up with some creative changes though......
Old 04-22-2002, 01:43 PM
1337 H4x0r

official results from the weekend have been posted:
http://www.rivergate5speed.com/scca/...inesville.html

Just to say it again that whole weekend totally freakin rocked!

Send in your SCCA membership right away!! The next SoloI event is gonna sneak up on you and you are going to be left holding your nads instead of racing. SCCA=GOOD.

Concerning May 4-5th@GIR; is this an official/confirmed date? Its not posted on eec.com/racing yet but I know the date was thrown around a while back on another thread?! Can I get a hell yeah on this date for GIR?? With the FSF and the GIR weekends being back to back I might just have to skip out on one of the events. I do prefer the GIR Test Track but FSF are so close to home it might be a very difficult choice to make. Hopefully I wont have to make a choice and happily attend both events.
Old 04-22-2002, 02:33 PM

OK this May 4/5 event you are thinking of doesnt exist... I have no clue what you are talking about.

11MAY SaSu FSF CFR
26MAY Su VCC CFR
01JUN SaSu Sebring CFR (each day seperate trophy)
16JUN Su FSF CFR
22JUN SaSu Gainesville SEDiv event and CFR points
04JUL ThFr? Gainesville CFR
13JUL SaSu FSF CFR
10AUG SaSu FSF CFR
22SEP Su FSF CFR
05OCT SaSu Gainesville SEDiv/CFR Solo Trials
16NOV SaSu Gainesville SEDiv/CFR Solo Trials
14DEC SaSu Gainesville CFR

This is the real event roster because Frank has yet to post some of the dates.

Every layout we do at Gainesville will be as unique as I can make it. However I am limited by the track.
We may be running a STOCK course for each of the Saturday practice sessions so we dont run out of these UNIQUE layouts too soon
When I finish designing each course (about a week before the event @Gville) remind me to post it on TR.
Im still trying to find time to develop my film from the SoloTrials. sorry.

-Shawn