Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

where is the nearest autocrossing events?

Old 03-08-2002, 09:22 PM
Haul'n the Family

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people seem to intimidated by autocross events but its really quite simple. You show up with $25 bucks. go to the registration table and sign up you and your car. They give you a number and tell you when youll race and when youll corner marshall. A corner marshall or course worker is someone that picks up cones that get knocked over and makes sure cars stay on course etc. Every driver will be expected to work the course. (its easy...and gives you a good perspective of the cars on track)
Afterwards you have your car inspected by a club member. They check to make sure you have tires that arent bald or flat that you have as many lugs as you should on each wheel that you have seatbelts and a battery tie down.
Youll need a helmet or you can usually borrow a loaner from the club. At sunriders loaners cost $5.
Then you wait till you race and have fun. Dont worry if you suck your first time out. Most people at auto-x events are really cool and are there to have fun. Ive seen cars spin out and clear half a dozen cones and everyone just cheered!
Sunriders is a great place to cut your teeth (what an old person saying!) For your registration fee they also feed you lunch!

If you want to learn more about what to expect go to:
http://www.autocross.com/autoc/started.htm

I got this link from: www.autocross.com

later-Ben
Old 03-11-2002, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by "Someone"

Originally posted by untamedg60
well lets see here since this is a TAMPA forum i thought i would be near TAMPA.....cuz i would think i would want near TAMPA...and did i ask when no i didnt so you can shut the hell up and never say that again! (and thanks for your help)
You have a really great way of making friends. Im sure you will get along really well with people on here.

97 Mustang Cobra #2239
White with black leather
Flowmaster mufflers
Steeda Tri-ax shifter
K&N air filter.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:16 PM

well since my car is a piece of shiii i wont be gonig fora lil bit but you can count on it i will be there once i get all my brakes and new ball jointsand motor/trannymounts on my car(not to metion i jus got fired for my other job so it ill take a while)and i jus want to kno where it was so i could go check it out and i aint kno poser or a pansy im not a dick in real life either.. check you lata
Old 03-11-2002, 04:27 PM

...autocrossers...fear corrados...
Old 03-11-2002, 11:34 PM
Turbo>NA

This is my question. How many times can you run a day in other auto-x? I run Gainesville SCCA auto cross for 4 times only. I need more runs.
1990 R32 Skyline (RB25 powered )GONE
1987 Toyota Corolla GTS (NEVER DIE)

anti-oval drift association
Old 03-12-2002, 06:42 PM

Yeah Taka... we all need more runs. I was the damn Event Coordinator and the Regional Solo2 chairman called the event. We planned on doing fun runs both days. but got scrammed both days.

Im upset and I will not let that happen again. I agree that it is ludicrous to pay $30 for 4 runs...
Old 03-12-2002, 07:06 PM
Turbo>NA

I think we had 2 more hours Sat. Do you know why we didnt have fun run? We all should e-mail SCCA.
1990 R32 Skyline (RB25 powered )GONE
1987 Toyota Corolla GTS (NEVER DIE)

anti-oval drift association
Old 03-12-2002, 07:24 PM

Get pissed Taka tell em whats on your mind.

Oh and what did happen to fun Runs??

Jesse
Old 03-13-2002, 04:21 PM

Basically those of us who ran the event were all sun burnt even with sun block... and tired from working all morning and afternoon. Remember we run with no lunch break straight through. Usually there is a lunch break and still 2 hours left for fun runs. We had to make a course still and maybe eat? If it was a 30 second course like most other sites youd have gotten more runs. BUT this is a fast 60 second course. Yo ugot 4 runs instead of 8.
But dont fret Saturdays in Gainesville will not be run like that again. Practice days will be run dufferently from now on. I dont havetime to explain HOW exactly but youll do more runs.
We SHOULD have done fun runs but as usual our safety stewards left. With no volunteers to safety steward there can be NO runs.
Find out how to get qualified to be a Safety Steward and then you can let us do fun runs. I havent gotten that qualification yet Im just now learning how to run an event.
If you want more give more. Ive given all I can.
-Shawn
Old 03-14-2002, 04:39 PM
Haul'n the Family

Maybe on occasion clubs should limit the amount of cars to race. Put a cap on it by having drivers pre-register. Hold the limit at like 30 cars or something. Im not saying do this all the time but perhaps every once and awhile. It is frustrating to pay $30 bucks to show up and get 3 or 4 runs! And it never seems fair that you dont get any fun runs! Especially when you know club members have been trying out the track all morning long...then they walk away with the wins in most classes!