Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

New Guy Here

Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
PROcess R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy Here

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I get started? I just recently moved down from CT so the only driving I've really done is spirited mountain driving in NY. I went to the Lexus ISF driving experience with a friend and that was my first time actually out on a road course. I've done 1 autocross a while ago and that's it. I'm not sure if I want to road race or auto-x but I want to get started somehow. Any suggestions?

Old 11-03-2008, 11:59 AM

Welcome.

Best bet is probably to hit a few local autocrosses to hone your basic skills. Then if you want to pursue track events, you'll be well-prepared for it.

Look at the sticky schedule post, there's an autocross somewhere in this area almost every weekend!
Old 11-03-2008, 12:07 PM
PROcess R

Thanks for the welcoming.

Are any of the local autocross tracks big so to speak? The reason I ask is because I get confused with the smaller/tighter courses. My ideal driving wouldn't be as large or high speed as some of the road courses but not as small and tight as some of the autocross', but I have yet to find a good balance. Then again I don't know exactly what I want anyway.

Also, what about instruction? I'm sure I will need it and I would like some as well. I considered some of the HPDE events because of the instruction, but I just can't kill $250-300 at Sebring all the time.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:16 PM
PROcess R

Also before I forget. Do I need an SA2005 helmet or will an M2005 work as well?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Autocross is by definition "small and tight" compared to a road course. It's all about car control, learning how to drive at the edge of the car's limits. The sort of thing that you're better off knowing before you go out on a race track where exceeding the limits can be very costly and dangerous.

If you're planning to do anything on a road course and you're buying a new helmet, it is best to buy an SA rated helmet. M is fine for autocross, and most track clubs accept them, too. But, some of them don't.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:20 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Welcome to TR . Some of the course designs by some of the clubs have been more open and end up being for higher horse power cars; not to say momentum driving (Loren) won't make you just as fast if not faster than some.

Check out the stickies and hope to see you out. Instructors are always available at the autocross events as well.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM

The events at Brooksville will be a larger lay out and a bit faster. Since its a runway 150 across and a 1/2 mile due to the bike area being unusable.

PCA runs at Z- hills its also a runway but old blacktop vs cement. Usualy pretty open and quick.

The St pete ones are tigher, very technical and will really help with learning to look ahead and see the course in the cones.

Plus there are events over near Melborn and down in Ft Myers.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:28 PM
PROcess R

Originally Posted by chi town brat
Welcome to TR . Some of the course designs by some of the clubs have been more open and end up being for higher horse power cars; not to say momentum driving (Loren) won't make you just as fast if not faster than some.

Check out the stickies and hope to see you out. Instructors are always available at the autocross events as well.
Checked out a few of the stickies and they helped. Thanks. Glad to hear that there will be instructors at the events. Do they charge to ride along, if so how much?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM
PROcess R

Originally Posted by bam2002
The events at Brooksville will be a larger lay out and a bit faster. Since its a runway 150 across and a 1/2 mile due to the bike area being unusable.

PCA runs at Z- hills its also a runway but old blacktop vs cement. Usualy pretty open and quick.

The St pete ones are tigher, very technical and will really help with learning to look ahead and see the course in the cones.

Plus there are events over near Melborn and down in Ft Myers.
I will probably be out at the Zephyrhills, Lakeland or St. Pete, because they are local to me.

Should I bet concerned if I am driving with my daily driver?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:45 PM
Sexist

Make more money.