Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Autocrossing the Rental Car

Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loren
With the exception of "specialty" rentals, like the Hertz Mustangs, most rental offices don't really look at their cars that closely. A quick look for dents, write down the mileage, wash it and send it back out.

I've never purchased the additional rental car insurance.
Last time I was at Hertz at TIA two of the 5 or 6 Hertz Mustangs were parked ON THE CURB by the Hertz attendants, one had a broken bumper from it, the other I just have to imagine was scratched to hell and back. Corvette ZHwhatevers were the same way, front bumper covers resting on the center curbs.

If you return a car late at night, Hertz won't even bother walking out an inspecting. I've actually never had hertz do anything except check the mileage and make sure there was no large, obvious damage. Even with the prestige/specialty cars I've rented before... (never rented one of their special edition mustangs or vettes though.)

The mustang's are limited to 75 miles per day (for free, each additional mile costs you), but i think they'd be fun at brooksville
Old 09-11-2008, 02:13 PM

I had Enterprise attempt to bill me for a repair once. I'd rented a car in Clearwater or somewhere, but the car apparently came out of the Tampa airport inventory. Anyway, I returned it in Clearwater, and when they transported it back to the airport, somebody backed into a pole... they tried to bill me for a dent that wasn't there when I returned the car. Fortunately, THEIR paperwork (the walk-around inspection that they didn't do when I returned the car) showed no damage when I returned the car.

I was really surprised that they tried to pull a stunt like that.

The Hertz Mustangs have GPS tracking in them. Someone rented one when their car broke during One Lap last year... when Hertz figured out they were on a race track with it, they promptly called and demanded the car back! (they ended up renting an SUV from somewhere else and flogging it on track for the rest of the week!)
Old 09-11-2008, 02:45 PM

I thought all the Mustangs were sold. I saw a few of them out at Barret? Site for Auction. figured that Hertz had them made to make money. They were selling for what Hetz paid for them.. Since they are going to be collectors items.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:03 AM
4.6 liter Rice Cooker

I took a couple laps at G-ville as a passenger to the driving instructor in a rented GTH. Funny thing was that it had the latches to put the 4-pt seat belt built in under the rear seat? The driver was strapped in tight and I was holding on to everything....Driver was good, but the soft suspension and tires made it feels like more of a boat than it is. Fun times....

Last edited by 3dglasses; 09-12-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:08 AM

True on the GPS, but I figured an autocross course wouldn't be recorded as a "race track"

bam: when I rented the prius to drive to CMP for LeMons there were a lot at TIA, two of which were being returned, so I think some of them are still out there thankfully. They seem like a more entertaining autox car than a ZHZ