Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Gymkhana events?

Old 09-07-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We were going to do another one this year at Brooksville, but it really needed two days to do it right, and we couldn't get a planning team for a whole weekend...it's been a busy summer! It's certainly a possibility for the future.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:21 PM

Stunned that no one has mentioned this:

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum with schedule info. Links to all of the local autocross (gymkhana) and track clubs are at the top of the schedule post.

There's usually at least one autocross going on somewhere within 90 minutes of Tampa every weekend.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM

i realize that Gymkhana and auto cross are very similar, but why does everyone think they are the same?????
Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM
4.6 liter Rice Cooker

Originally Posted by NI_racing
i realize that Gymkhana and auto cross are very similar, but why does everyone think they are the same?????

They are spelled nearly identical.. and they are very similar.........
Old 09-07-2008, 06:30 PM

Gymkhana is a type of motorsport practiced in Japan, the United States and the United Kingdom similar to autocross but with even slower speeds and tighter turns. The courses are often very complex and memorizing the course is a significant part of achieving a fast time.
Sometimes called "Car Rodeo", Gymkhana is quite often compared to Autocross or Pro Solo. Although the two sports share many common similarities, the Autocross & Solo course main objective is "time". A Gymkhana track is laid out in a matter that encourages the driver to concentrate on flamboyant driving and drifting techniques 1st, and time 2nd. Gymkhana is primarily done on an open paved field or parking lot. The course is laid out with cones in key points to navigate to. The obstacle will often consist of slaloms, 180 degree turns, 360 degree turns, figure 8s, and some time parking boxes. The driver's goal is to get through the course as fast as possible with the least amount of mistakes. Gymkhana requires strong mental concentration and memorizing of the track, where you have to go and do next. The driver will use many techniques to effectively go through a course. Acceleration, braking, drifting & grip driving are all necessary for Gymkhana.
American Gymkhana: Two competitors are paired up side by side at a Christmas tree. Both will run simultaneously and be timed. The courses can be mirror images of one another but in some cases one will be different than the other while still the same distance in length. In this case, the drivers will switch places on the 2nd run and time will be tabulated for a combined total.

Just a slight difference....
Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM

Well, in this particular case, *I* wasn't sure what your background was, where you were from, how old you were, or whether you were talking about "real" gymkhana... or about autocross.

If you're talking about actual gymkhana... doing silly stuff in both forward and reverse gears on a rather complicated course that usually requires a fair bit of memorization... hardly anyone does that anywhere in the US any more. From what I understand, it's popular in places like England and Japan.

The modern sport of autocross has its roots in what came to the US as "gymkhana" back in the early 60's... or maybe even late 50's (or maybe even earlier than that, who knows?).

Sorry for the confusion. But, if you're looking for that "kind" of an event, autocross is your best bet in this area.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM

American Gymkhana: Two competitors are paired up side by side at a Christmas tree. Both will run simultaneously and be timed. The courses can be mirror images of one another but in some cases one will be different than the other while still the same distance in length. In this case, the drivers will switch places on the 2nd run and time will be tabulated for a combined total.
Not sure where you picked up this definition, but I'd reckon that it's somewhat less than correct. What they have described there is generally known as "Pro Solo". Dragstrip start, mirror courses... otherwise, just an autocross.

Have you done any gymkhana? Or autocross? Give us a little background.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:46 PM

K thanks. Im new to all of this as my background is oval track racing (predominately dirt stock car racing) and the definition there is from wiki.... so it is what it is. I appreciate the clarification and i guess im just gonna focus on drifting and a lil street fun... Not big into the idea of autocross from how i understand it, tho im sure i'll participate in events here and there. I love to race and to try new things so who knows....

Tampa Bay Rotary Owners Club Member # 4
Team Decep!
you never saw it coming
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Race Photographer

If you are going to get into drifting, auto-x is a great place to learn the limits of the car and control. Any veteran drifter will tell you to hit the auto-x

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 09-07-2008, 11:09 PM

I plan to, i just dont plan to stay there

Tampa Bay Rotary Owners Club Member # 4
Team Decep!
you never saw it coming