Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Chassis and Suspension Required Reading.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:10 PM
legend behind the cowl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chassis and Suspension Required Reading.

I'm attempting to compile the brain trust of our community and post it in the following post over in our sister forum, if any of our more experienced drivers/tuners care to add to or handle one of the topics I'd appreciate the help as writing it all by myself while I can do it all, it will take me a month. (I bit off more then I can chew)

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/c...ml#post5224950

if there is something you see needs addressing or you want to add one of the topics I'll welcome the content.

I felt it was paramount to identify the truth from the common misconceptions that exist over there.

PM me your entry and I'll post it. eventually I plan on making the ultimate suspension FAQ out of the data.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM

If my Triumph had a double-wishbone setup to go with the transverse leaf, it wouldn't have the bad habits that it does. Your diagram is more akin to a Corvette suspension than a Triumph suspension. If you're going to talk about the awfulness of the Triumph transverse leaf (and VW Bug), you should use the proper diagram to represent it. (hint: there is no upper control arm, the ends of the spring are the only thing used to locate the top of the hub, hence mondo positive camber on droop) The diagram you have is not of a Triumph suspension, and should behave just like a double A-arm suspension with coil springs.

Edit: Come to think of it, there's no lower control arm, either... it's a swing-axle suspension. The axle acts as a lower control arm, the spring acts as the upper control arm. It really is an awful design... but it's very lightweight, very compact, and very cheap to produce. All were good things for Triumph when they initially used it in the Herald (which was a commuter car, not a sports car).

Last edited by Loren; 03-18-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: more to say
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
legend behind the cowl

okay Loren now it's my turn. tell me what YOU want that section to say and I'll fix it. I did my best from my knowledge and that is limited. please give me the correct content and I'll add it. if you have a photo or diagram I'd appreciate it. I'm trying to cover all bases. and I'm not a brittish car guy so forgive me I can add a 10th design although I thought it useless for the intended audience. since I explained why the trimpuh way was wrong. and why you shouldn't do that.

Last edited by treekiller; 03-18-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:20 AM

Nice post, thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:57 AM

If I only had time.

Basically, I think what you did was apply the term "transverse spring" (which the Spitfire has, but so does the Corvette) to mean "swing axle" (which the Spitfire and early Beetle have, but the Corvette does not).

Do a little research on "Transverse Spring" applications such as the Corvette, which use double-wishbone, such as your diagram. Then do a little research on the awfulness that is "Swing Axle" suspension.

Swing axle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Corvette leaf spring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I can't find it right now, but somewhere out there is a web page with good diagrams that explains how the modern Corvette suspension uses its composite springs (front and rear!) to act as anti-roll bars. It has to do with additional fulcrum points that cause the spring to bend in the form of an S, which changes the spring rate on one side vs the other (just like a swaybar would). It's pretty slick, but makes you wonder how the hell the springs keep from breaking.