Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing
View Poll Results: Why don't you come to SCCA Brooksville events?
I didn't know about the events
31.58%
SCCA's prices are too high
21.05%
The registration system is a pain, or I forget to register
18.42%
Brooksville is too far to drive
26.32%
I don't like the SCCA class system
13.16%
I already autocross with another club
15.79%
My friends all autocross with a different club
2.63%
The SCCA isn't as friendly as other clubs
5.26%
The SCCA schedule conflicts with my other club's schedule
0%
That Jason guy smells funny
23.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Be honest-Why don't you come to the SCCA autocross events at Brooksville?

Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Muddy
I agree that cost is a problem. It is $40 for non-members and $30 for members the last time I attended a SCCA event. The $75 membership fee saves you nothing unless you attend 8 events a year. You still don't get free food and drink as the other clubs provide.

Between the cost/benefit and the competition that the other clubs allow, I think they offer a better product. The SCCA is for serious autoxers, not because of the attitudes of the people at an event, but because of the classing structure. I currently drive an uncompetitive BSP car because I wanted a car that was fun to drive, not to win a couple of cheap trophies after I spent $$$$. I also like the convenience of not packing a cooler with drinks and lunch, as some other clubs provide.
Trailering wheels and race tires to events is OK, but packing a lunch is a huge inconvenience, gotcha.

I believe you were the one that busted my balls when I complained that NASA events were too expensive, so I don't want to hear anything about price from you.

If anyone wants to be lunch chairman at SCCA events, I would have no problem with that, that could be your work assignment for the day. You could even try to turn a profit for all I care.

Jeremy

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM

Muddy cant fit a lunch and cooler into his car if he packs the tires and tools. Thats why he need to have the food provided...

Its a cost thing for me. My Fiancé and I both compete, so the membership is more. Or if we just pay the extra fee its X 2.

I already do all the BMW event since that is the club I joined/ car I drive. Honestly if I want to do another one I usually decide the day before so the only one I can do the the Porsche club since you dont have to Pre register. I know the registration is a Brooksville rule not a SCCA one.

I would also say that natural progression is effecting the numbers. Most of the drivers that have been doing this for a while are now going to Sebring and doing track days. For me I will plan on 2 or 3 track days a year, so that is 3 less Auto X events I will attend.

My 2 cents..

Last edited by chi town brat; 01-17-2008 at 03:45 AM. Reason: good to go now
Old 01-16-2008, 05:45 PM
The Fat Cobra

Originally Posted by w0rd
Trailering wheels and race tires to events is OK, but packing a lunch is a huge inconvenience, gotcha.
I never had a trailer!

I believe you were the one that busted my balls when I complained that NASA events were too expensive, so I don't want to hear anything about price from you.
I don't remember that, but at least you got a GRM subscription with the membership (which is much better than Sportscar, obviously).
Old 01-16-2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy
Entry fees are such a small portion of the cost of autox, does another $5 or $10 a month really make a difference? That is a pittance compared to what you have paid so you can race something other than your civic, Jeremy.
https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/a...ml#post2820362
I guess you got me on the trailer part though

Jeremy

Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Official Photo Ninja

I remember when Autox events were held at the Fairgrounds...those were alot of fun!

You can tell the last time I auto xed

Official Photographer of Festivals of Speed St. Pete, Orlando, & Miami.

Canon 7D..Stepped up my Game
Old 01-16-2008, 07:06 PM
DVDA

Between the old Tamps fairgrounds event and Brooksville, my experience is that the SCCA classes my cars so that I can't be competitive, I get very few runs, time penalties are wayyyyy more frequent, no lunch, bad attitudes from the event staff, and pricey for the average guy.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Offset-----Less is MORE!!

because I'm not Auto Xing the Q45.... I enjoyed them when I attended and I was doing mods to help my autoXtimes when it was stolen....
Old 01-17-2008, 04:33 AM

I didn't know about the new pricing for the 2 days, so there is a good chance I'll do a Saturday and Sunday.

"The new prices are $25 for members, $40 for non-members. HOWEVER - That $40 makes you a temporary member of the SCCA (for 5 days, I believe), so if you pay $40 on Saturday for a practice day, you will only pay $25 on Sunday for the event. $65 total for the weekend. Cheaper than before when it was $35 per day for both days... "

Nice car Mars. Now get her done.

I know it's off topic, but Rosko makes sense. I can't see a street tire car competing in the same class as an R-Compound.

Jason's not that stinky. He drove my car and it only got a little funky.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:34 AM

Default Scca - Brooksville Attendance

Welcome to 2008!

Scheduling is a conflict with all the main local clubs running on the same weekends or close. Most of us have limited $ amd time for racing. That is not any thing any one can do about.

On an National level - as we prepare for the season, we look at where and what kind of surface and traction the National events will be held on and then try to arrange our racing schedule to get practice on similar surfaces. The Dixie and Atlanta National Tours are on blacktop. That does not have the grip of Brooksville and we are working in advance to get the car dialed in for that surface.

Brooksville is one of the best sites for size and grip anywhere in the South east. It like all runways is a little narrow for National style courses.

I will attend as many events as I can with the priority on learning and seat time and having FUN!

Thanks for all the hard work and see you at future events,
Keith R
JFF Racing
SCCA BS M3 / Hs 318i / GS MINI Cooper S
Old 01-17-2008, 04:44 AM
The Fat Cobra

https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/a...ml#post2820362
I guess you got me on the trailer part though
Now that I am married, my budget is much tighter. My attitude has certainly changed in that regard. However, my argument is still valid. You spent a lot of money on that 240 sx, what is another few bucks on entry fees compared to the price of a dedicated track car?