Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Registration for Brooksville August 4th/5th closes on Thursday night!

Old 08-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rosko
Drew, why did that guy protest your time? I never did get the full scoop on what was happening there.
Yeah, I didn't understand that either. I guess he didn't believe that there could be a spread of 1.5 seconds between Drew's runs? Or he was uncomfortable with his car being beaten by a teal Mustang? I dunno. I was confused.

As far as I know there's no provision in the rulebook for challenging a time that the timing crew entered/saw/approved of. The only time I've seen a time disallowed is if it was WAY faster - like 8 or 10 seconds faster.

I think Tony was just trying to diffuse a tense situation...

It's never happened before, and hopefully it doesn't become a regular practice...if it does I'm protesting Jeremy every time he beats me.

Hopefully it didn't sour Drew on our events. It's great to see more CP cars out there!

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Now with less suck

In addition to the spread of times and some dirty runs, there was a #87 CP and a #87 CSP. There were lots of scratchouts of the class designation on the manual sheet for these two cars and we had more than a few delays due to timing and scoring getting out of sync. There was also some issue with regard to a discrepancy that the timing team knew about but chose not to resolve until the end of the heat. The protest came from someone who had checked the time sheets during the heat and therefore didn't see the fast time, or something like that (the details were a little unclear then, even less so now).

The fact is, my confidence level in the accuracy of the timing crew's results was not so great. I hope that what we decided on was fair, but I didn't really have any precedent from personal experience to go on either. I was also faced with the time crunch of finishing the event before the hay baling crew finished it for us. Ultimately, all parties agreed that if Drew could run a clean run within half a second of the fast time that the timing crew had recorded, his fast run would stand. To my great relief he backed up his time and we were able to move on.

This had better not become standard practice, or I'll start collecting protest fees. IMHO for local events, there's not too many good reasons for impound/protest/etc. unless it's a very clear cut and dry sort of infraction. We're all out here to have fun, not delay the event for everyone else just because we're unexpectedly getting beat. (Not that I feel like that was the situation for Sunday's event, mind you.)
Old 08-11-2007, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by jaball77
Hopefully it didn't sour Drew on our events. It's great to see more CP cars out there!
Yeah Drew. We have had problems with that guy in the past. He is a jerk off. He'll be working the busiest corner stations by himself for a long time. That's what you get when you piss off the worker chief.

By the way, Drew beat me by .001 that event. Good race, as always.

Jeremy

Old 08-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Race Photographer

does he drive a vette or a porsche?

"I am and what I do are not a taxable commodity for you to use and abuse" - Me

This is my fuck the government movement

Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 PM
my whip is a janky hoopty

From what I can figure, I ran behind the 87CSP car and the timing crew missed my 87CP when I came to the line. My time went to Darryl in his Sentra SE R, who ran after me. They knew that wasn't right and gave him a rerun thinking that the timer was wonky. When I noticed that I only had 2 times after my third run, we figured out what had happened.
I'm glad I had a good run on the last one to put it to a rest.
I feel like I won twice!

4 entries in CP. Only a couple of other classes had as many cars. When was the last time that happened?