Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

very interested in getting into roadracing.. how??

Old 03-20-2007, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very interested in getting into roadracing.. how??

ok, i'm not really interested in the professional stuff, was just interested in going to the track n run for half a day or so just for fun... All the tracks i've ran before have always been to the dragstrip and its kinda getting old to me... I'm not really interested in autocross (just my personal preference), but i'm lookin for tracks that might have some kind of, noobie day or something? lol I've read some of the links on here and some of the registrations are somewhat on the expensive side, around 400+ for a day or so.. I did see one for about $40 for a track in gainesville, but didnt see if they had a time schedule for beginners... Was just curious how u guys got started and if you got any info for beginners like myself.. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 03:08 PM
legend behind the cowl

Gainesville Is not a "roadcourse" it's a higher speed autocross without a lot of runoff. would however make an awesome kart track.

there is a lot of clubs that have entry level instruction. passing, flags, where and how to position a car on the track. these things are imperative to being safe and successful. now if you want to get GOOD at it a few autocrosses will make the transision much easier since it trains your driving brain to move much faster then it has to on the track.

I'll give you an example. in a lap of sebring there is 17 turns (2 of which are not really turns) a GOOD driver in a quick street car is in the mid to low 2 min range.

this sunday on a 52 second course there were I'm going to guess. 21 turns that's a turn every 2.5 seconds as opposed to the average of ~9 seconds on sebring. that's 3.6 times as often. so it is by far the best training you can get cheap.

NASA southeast has a work for run Program. you get credits toward events by working at other ones. http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2007WorkerBrochure.pdf

Their events are less then $300 for 2 days on the track which is a bonus. or you get 1 day credit for each day you work! Workers get free beer, Free Hotel, and free food. and now free HDPE. if you can't afford your habit it's a nice subistute. that's about the only 2 ways people get started. as workers or work their way up the driving scale. either way it's time for a beer.

Last edited by treekiller; 03-20-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 PM
Sexist

ChinMotorsports.com has instructors for beginners. After you get some instruction you will want to really get your money's worth by running with SAFE Motorsports - More track for less money! Sebring - Homestead - Moroso
Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 PM

Yea I was reading into the chinmotorsport site, it seemed like a good club to learn all the basics with a focus on non-competition track events, just seemed a lil on the expensive side.... by the way, to treekiller, is gainesville setup like a regular autocross (parking lot with cones?), or did you mean that its kinda like a roadcourse, but not as long? But yea, thanks for all the info guys, It'd b nice if TR sponsors a trackevent for these types of tracks..
Old 03-20-2007, 07:36 PM

Track events aren't cheap... but consider how much you've paid to run a few 10-15 second runs at the dragstrip.

For $3-400, you can get over 3 hours of track time.

Don't discount autocross as a starting point. It's cheap and is a great way to learn the basic skills that you WILL need at the track.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:41 PM
aka The Twanksta!

Originally Posted by Chuck 98 RT/10
ChinMotorsports.com has instructors for beginners. After you get some instruction you will want to really get your money's worth by running with SAFE Motorsports - More track for less money! Sebring - Homestead - Moroso
once I get my car back up to par(maintanence) I really want to get into this...although Ive only driven one HPDE, but had good results/comments.

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer
Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 PM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by FlipSpeeD
to treekiller, is gainesville setup like a regular autocross (parking lot with cones?), or did you mean that its kinda like a roadcourse, but not as long? But yea, thanks for all the info guys, It'd b nice if TR sponsors a trackevent for these types of tracks..
gainesville has a parking lot where they do autocrosses but the "track" is laid out like a traditional race course, the roads are quite a bit narrower then a traditional track might make passing a bit hairy the events I was there it was laid out like an autocross seperate start and stop and no lapping.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:22 PM
aka The Twanksta!

Originally Posted by treekiller
gainesville has a parking lot where they do autocrosses but the "track" is laid out like a traditional race course, the roads are quite a bit narrower then a traditional track might make passing a bit hairy the events I was there it was laid out like an autocross seperate start and stop and no lapping.
Its basically a non-coned auto-x..haha! Its a mini track, you race it like a road course, but treat it like auto-x.

Ive only been to Homestead, fun track! I love coming down from the nascar banks..I had my instructor a lil scared.

Visit Our Site - Presidential Automotive Detailing
Authorized CQuartz FINEST Installer