Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

FAST Novice School - March 11 - SPC

Old 02-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Big Black Trucking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do these classes happen often? i am really looking into getting some seat time after i rebuild my car
Old 02-10-2007, 08:30 AM

Irregularly, depending on who has the energy to set one up. While they're very valuable, though, school isn't a requirement to get onto an autocross course -- sign up for a regular event as soon as you're able. Most of the area clubs are happy to plug an instructor in with you during your runs, if you want to.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:58 AM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Oh, I know that power is of minimal importance at the lower and middle levels of autocross. I'm kinda stuck with that power because I've built this car for fun on the street and at the drag strip. I'm actually looking at picking up a 94-96 Miata in the next few months as a daily driver, which I would mostly leave alone except for better tires, shocks, brakes, and other maintenance/upgrades within stock class rules.

I talked to my folks and they're OK with the idea, surprisingly. I might try to get a few of my friends who are interested in Auto-x to sign up as well. What are the rules on car sharing? If two of us came out in one car, would that work or would it be like events where you get half the runs if you share a car (at least, that's how I understand it to work)?
Old 02-10-2007, 10:29 AM

You get ALL of your runs if you share at an regular event. They call it "co-driving".

You will probably be driving the entire time at the Novice School, so sharing wouldn't work so well, unless you didn't mind forfeiting 50% of your seat time.

Jeremy

Old 02-10-2007, 03:57 PM

Yeah, car sharing will not work at the school event. Sorry.

(rent a car!)
Old 02-11-2007, 07:56 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Really, that's good to know. I've been trying to convince a few people I know to come out with me to try out an autocross event, even offering to share my car once I completed my maintenance. They objected, saying that if you shared a car you got half the runs. I couldn't find anything to disprove that in a quick search. Now I have a good argument to use to get people to come out with me to co-drive the car.

Oh, I actually looked into a rental, and if it weren't on Sunday and/or I wasn't under 25, I would do it in a heartbeat. Only 31.49 a day from Enterprise for a basic Chevy Aveo. However, the only location that's open on Sunday is TIA, and they're also the only location that would charge me a 20 dollar under-25 fee along with a 7 dollar "airport access" fee. It added up to 72.46 doing one day rental from them, and 72.50 doing 2 day rental from the other locations. I'm going to give my sister's Altima a quick once-over, see if it's up to snuff, then borrow it if it is. If not, y'know what, I'll buy some cheap Discount Auto pads to put up front just to hold my car over for the event. Won't fix the runout on the rotors or the problems with the rear calipers but it will make the car stop well enough for one school event... hopefully. And the tires do still have a good 1/16" of tread in some places.

Old 02-12-2007, 07:11 AM
legend behind the cowl

The Spec-V will Be Availble for School Rental. As myself and loren are both instructors at this school, therefore will not be driving it untill the end of the day. rental includes Gas brakes tires etc. and anyone familiar with the car knows it's a "Wicked Pisser"
Old 02-13-2007, 07:27 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

What is the helmet situation? I've got one friend as a "maybe" who already has a helmet and I can probably borrow another friend's helmet. The problem is my sister's boyfriend. He doesn't have a helmet and honestly, he's not a real "car guy", just a casual enthusiast, so I doubt he will buy one. Will there be loaners there?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:39 AM
legend behind the cowl

fast's insurance allows ANY DOT helmet this is diffrent but better then most
Old 02-14-2007, 05:06 AM

The club has loaners, but only about 8... not enough for all of the students. And it would be difficult to share helmets at this event.