Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

FAST Novice School - March 11 - SPC

Old 03-11-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftz28
Richsrg, glad to meet you today, it was fun riding along. It's refreshing to see top end cars scrubbing cones with the rest of us... I meant to get a picture of your car but when you left early I missed out. Can you send me one?

Thanks
Jonathan
DriftZ28@Yahoo.com
Likewise Jonathan. I had a great time riding along throwing your rear end out getting around that track. It was a little scary being in the passengers seat today. I am just used to me being the one driving. I can't wait for the next event. When I have tires that is.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Blasian Sensation

Originally Posted by Silvia
I suck, I couldnt go My stupid car
Oh no...What happened?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Fu*k i missed it again...grrr.
When is the next event at SPC again?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by ImportLuv
When is the next event at SPC again?
14 April. Registration's open on Automotive Events - Competition and Racing Calendar with Online Registration -- don't wait too long, because SPC events are limited to 60 drivers.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:52 PM

Results are in !! Go check it out the times at The Results Page (.PDF file)
Old 03-12-2007, 07:26 AM
I Heart 2nd Gear Racing

Looks like a good event. Sorry I missed all that seat time.

One of the students pretty much kept up with the masters, hey? Mark Jones. Hmm. I don't recognize that name.

And Jeff nipped Loren. Hahaha. Sweet!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Gravel fiend

Originally Posted by Jordan Y.
I was running on about 1:45 of sleep all day and it's caught up with me. Sorry to any of those subjected to the random rambling tangents I tend to go off on when tired.
Don't feel bad, Jordan... I think I was the same way. I'd had about 15 hours of sleep over the past 4 days. We probably were rambling together.

I also would like to say thanks to the cone shaggers (heh) who worked the slalom. You were definately busy, and I thank you very much for your efforts and patience.

Last edited by Alizarin; 03-12-2007 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
15 seconds EXHILARATION

Yeah, thanks a million to the guys on the slalom. I knocked over the fourth cone in that slalom probably 5 runs in a row during practice . Thanks in general to everybody who volunteered to help put the school on. It was a great introduction to autocross and the massive amount of seat time and personal instruction was invaluable.

My rundown on the day (ADD warning)-
The reason I got less than 2 hours sleep was that I was replacing broken wheel studs and welding up a battery bracket so I could actually pass tech until about 4:00 AM. I got there about 30 minutes late after driving 25 minutes on some horrible 35 mph road parallel to the interstate. It turns out there's a 22nd North and a 22nd South and I got off at the North exit.

I somehow managed to miss my first run of the course while in the restroom, teaching me the first lesson of the day- avoid the super-size gas station coffee no matter how tired you are. My other pre-runs were really sloppy and didn't feel great, but I stayed on course which was good enough for me as I had trouble visualizing the course layout just from a walk through.

After the first runs we broke up into run groups and started doing practice exercises with instructors at each of the elements of the course. There were groups at the slalom, the figure 8 skidpad, and a braking exercise accelerating hard toward the offset start, braking for the 45 and then taking the two 90's to the first straight. I did pretty well in the figure 8 and the car was surprisingly neutral at the limit. I was pretty bad at the slalom to start with but after practicing it over and over again I got the hang of it and the slalom is where I pushed hard enough to get that first two-feet-in experience under my belt . I think that's where I improved most of all. I was really bad in the sharp 90's at the offset start but I finally got a decent line through there. The value of breaking up the course into single elements and being able to run each element 10 or even 15 times in a row with instructor guidance cannot be underestimated.

About the time I was starting to figure out the offset start my car broke. I'd had some fuel starvation on the skidpad earlier that was simply poor gas tank design needing more than 1/2 tank of gas to keep the pump submerged. Easily fixed by a quick trip to the gas station. This second problem was not so easily fixed. After running to 8500 rpm and braking for the offset, when I got on the gas in the offset the car cut out and sputtered. I tried it again, it did it again. The 4G63 can take 8500 no sweat, and I found no signs of valvetrain or bottom end damage, so I then theorized that it was loading up on fuel or something when I hit the rev limiter entering the braking zone so I made a normal run shifting to second instead of running first out. It still cut out in the offset. I pulled over and let the car cool down because everything in the engine bay was red hot from repeated runs and no wind speed to cool it down. Still didn't fix it. I eventually figured out that it was a broken wire to my mass air flow meter that was giving a sporadic connection and losing connection completely when I went around turns, especially tight first gear turns. I'd had this problem previously a few months ago and I'd just fiddled with it until it made a connection and left it at that. Street driving, that was fine, hard 90 at speed, not fine .

Even with this problem I was not going to give up. If I part throttled it the car would sputter but not die completely, so for my final runs of the day I just had to drive around the problem. On my final runs I came out of the starting gate, went into the hard 90s, sputtered my way around taking the outside on the first and cutting to the inside on the second to set up for the turn on the straight, came out onto the long straightaway and sputtered through first at part throttle. Second was better than first as the g-force was less sharp and I could get to about 75 percent throttle, then it was braking into the slalom. I didn't push it as hard as I had in the exercises because I was focused on making good clean runs without hitting that daggone fourth cone. Then it was into the short straight struggling to accelerate, then braking for the figure eight. The car didn't struggle as much here because it was all part-throttle anyway. Finally I exited the figure eight and had a short burst of speed to the finish, in which the car would actually accelerate full throttle as it was in a straight line.

The last runs of the day felt great despite the car problems. It was a huge improvement from the beginning of the day, so much smoother and faster that I was amazed at the difference. I definitely got my 60 dollars worth of quality instruction and seat time. I hope these events can become a semi-regular happening, as I think it would be of great benefit even to a more experienced autocrosser.

Overall I had a blast driving my car to the limit, everybody out there was friendly and very helpful, and I'm going to start coming out to least one event a month. Hopefully the first one will be the April 14 event at SPC, which I'm now looking forward to with great enthusiasm.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM

I did the 22nd St. North exit thing at least once.

Good write-up, Jordan. Glad you had such a great day!