Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

CFR SCCA schedule has been posted and...

Old 11-30-2006, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes this is going to be interesting.

I guess we need to find out how many SCCA cars will be there. I know we limit the BMW event to 35 cars.

I would be ok with an combined event. But getting the usual 8 runs in would be difficult. I guess Ill have to go out and measure the course, Figure out where the 1/2 way mark is and find the usuable space. There is going to be NO way to avoid driving over the Bike area, if there going to double book events.

PS and you can go down to the Yellow X and use that area. We just have not in the past to be real safe. Guess their not concerned with it, so its OK to use that area.
B

Last edited by bam2002; 11-30-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:19 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Interesting

Sounds like it could get a bit messy

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 12-01-2006, 04:00 AM

Can we look at the courses first, and then decide what club we want to run with?
Wow! Head to head competition for my Auto-X dollars.

A combined event is a bad idea; it equals less runs.
I see no way around driving over the motorcycle site.

On a side note:
Bonus points to "Word" for getting the joke in my signature.
Old 12-01-2006, 10:47 AM
my whip is a janky hoopty

Has anyone checked with them to see if it was just an oversight?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:08 AM
who stole my intercooler?

my attendance is based upon whether or not it's 2 small courses by 2 groups or 1 course by one group. i'm picky cause i might not be driving my crappy car & would like a fast/long course
Old 12-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Blasian Sensation

Can't wait for the new season
Old 12-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Now with less suck

This makes me wonder then if the airport is finding that autocross generates more revenue than the cycle school. As I understand it, not setting up courses on their section has always been a courtesy that we voluntarily extend to the cycle school, largely because they were there first and it was thought that pissing them off would end our ability to use the runway. If the airport now values our business more than theirs, this courtesy might be less important. After all, the runway belongs to the airport not the cycle school. If the rental conditions (double booking) make it mpossible for us to do our thing while totally avoiding the cycle school pavement, and the airport has decided that they'd rather have the increased revenue, can we be blamed for making use of available concrete?

All that said, the increased utilization of the surface is not doing it any favors. Without significant capital investment in repairing/maintaining the surface, it's just a matter of time before we'll all be looking for a new site.

Between CFR SCCA, BMWCCA, NASA, and the cycle school, (am I missing anyone?) it's getting to be less possible to have non-conflicting schedules without collaboration between all parties.

I'm a bit disappointed that the airport has decided for us that two events can be safely and simultaneously run there. Did the rental pricing go down to compensate for the reduction in value? I can't imagine that there will be zero negative impact to both clubs running. For example access to the event at the far end of the runway is almost certain to be disruptive to the event on the near end. I guess we'll just have to see how it all plays out.

Last edited by nunyo; 12-01-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM

When I first met with Bob at the airport, he was clear that the fee we're paying is only for HALF of the runway. He said they tried not to double book, but that it COULD and has happened and that we should be prepared for it. So, this is nothing new as far as they are concerned.

We had an instance a few months ago where we were double-booked with a sherrif's department training gig for teens. Fortunately, we got there first and were mostly set up when the cops arrived. We were prepared to compromise with them and share the space, or let them run our event (which they didn't want to do... didn't quite jive with what they were teaching), but they said they had a permanent course marked on the runway that used ALL of it, so half of it was of no use to them. They were cool about it, left us alone and rescheduled.

Since every club has their schedule posted well in advance, I think double-booked autocross events should either try to reschedule, or just cancel one club (as late as possible so that the airport doesn't reschedule someone else into that slot) and run a combined event.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 PM
Now with less suck

If they are renting out both halves of the runway for simultaneous use, then this must be irrespective of the paint laid down by the cycle school. Or perhaps we need clarification from the airport on this issue. If we completely disregard the current belief that the cycle school area is off limits then it's certainly possible to put on two events. They've painted on nearly a third of the runway and didn't start at the near end anyway.

I agree that one club per day/weekend is closer to ideal, but we've all got championship series that we're trying to get sufficient events for. Considering that our primary site is curently Brooksville, canceling events is not a great option for us. I'll admit to my SCCA bias, but I also feel that a certain amount of entitlement is warranted as (unless I'm completely mistaken) the SCCA really opened the door for autocross on that site.

I've got to believe that if they are renting out two halves of the runway, the airport is not the entity that has been imposing the stay off the cycle school paint "rule".

We typically run on the far "half" of the runway as it is. If the other half is up for grabs then the airport can't be protecting the cycle school's paint.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:31 PM

I have to admit that I don't remember exactly what was said about the cycle training "turf". Bob's pretty easy to work with, though. A quick phone call should answer any questions.

As for championship events, running concurrent events doesn't have to affect that. It's pretty easy for one club to completely ignore the results of the other club.

Quick Reply: CFR SCCA schedule has been posted and...