Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Tampa Bay Executive Airport

Old 06-16-2006, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tampa Bay Executive Airport

Maybe too small for an autocross, but I thought it was cool anyway.

Notice the hangars are actually open, so maybe running through them is possible.

Taken from here... http://members.tripod.com/airfields_..._FL_TampaN.htm

Jeremy

Old 06-17-2006, 07:05 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

While going thru the hangers would be cool in a way I can't imagine the insurance the association would have to carry to cover any possible damages.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production
Old 06-17-2006, 09:46 AM
Certifiable User

This airport has been closed for a while now. I'm not sure what the future plans for it are. But an autocross might be possible on the runway due to no flight activity. I will try to find out who is the current owner.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Blasian Sensation

It would be nice to have an autoX event in Tampa. The hanger would be a dangerous area though, risky.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Certifiable User

Originally Posted by 02NismoSE-R
It would be nice to have an autoX event in Tampa. The hanger would be a dangerous area though, risky.

This airport isn't in Tampa. The airport is located on State Road 54 in pasco. It is located west of Gun Highway in Odessa area.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by 1stEG6
But an autocross might be possible on the runway due to no flight activity.
The runway is only 48' wide. Not much you can do with that. At least nothing that can't be done better at Brooksville.

Jeremy

Old 06-17-2006, 01:32 PM
Certifiable User

Originally Posted by w0rd
The runway is only 48' wide. Not much you can do with that. At least nothing that can't be done better at Brooksville.
Good point about the width of the runway. But I feel the autocross events at Brooksville aren't spectator friendly. The gates are only open for a short time in the morning, which is fine if you plan on running your car, but for the spectators getting there at such an early time makes for a very boring morning until the event starts. I pesonally would rather wake up a bit later, get some breakfast, then make my way to the event as it is just getting started. Just my opinion.
Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Wanna buy a monkey?

We need to steal a couple of those hangars for Brooksville. How sweet would it be to have a covered paddock and grid area?

Oh, the joys of owning a Honda!.....................And the joys of owning a Mazda!
Old 06-17-2006, 01:53 PM
OUCH!!!

Originally Posted by 1stEG6
Good point about the width of the runway. But I feel the autocross events at Brooksville aren't spectator friendly. The gates are only open for a short time in the morning, which is fine if you plan on running your car, but for the spectators getting there at such an early time makes for a very boring morning until the event starts. I pesonally would rather wake up a bit later, get some breakfast, then make my way to the event as it is just getting started. Just my opinion.
Thanks,
Chris
SCCA autocrosses aren't spectator events. (Before you argue with me that they are, read the insurance policy. I have.)
Old 06-17-2006, 02:07 PM
Haul'n the Family

why couldnt the access roads and the airstrip all be used? Sort'a like a mini-prix?