Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

Florida State Autocross Championship 11-14, Brooksville Airport -- 20 slots added

Old 11-19-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kickslop
The last 5 days of this thread are why I don't attend SCCA events. Bunch of uptight over-competitive bitchy whiny tools. Always. Every time.

Not everyone, no, of course.

Anyway, I'm glad I got there at 8:53AM and just decided to turn around and go home. And for those of you who went and were able to have fun, I'm very glad.
So you were at the event for less than five minutes and you can judge the entire organization based on the web forum posting of one person. OK

Jeremy

Old 11-19-2004, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by w0rd
I heard someone announce over the PA during the first heat that there were no ride-alongs permitted.

I thought Aaron would know better than to do that anyway.
Even at a regular local event I think this is grounds for disqualification (had he won the class, and had it been brought up at the event).

Didn't any of his competitors say anything to him in grid? I would have said something the first time I saw him stepping out of a passengers seat.
We solved this "problem" in Wichita Region (and in the SunRiders club), by not only allowing, but ENCOURAGING folks to ride with each other. Maybe for a "championship event" if people take it THAT seriously, you might not want to allow it, but for a regular regional event... why not? It gives people more opportunities to learn and improve their skills.
Old 11-19-2004, 07:45 AM

I'm glad I got there at 8:53AM and just decided to turn around and go home
I'm glad you did too!

Jamal
Old 11-19-2004, 07:53 AM
Now with less suck

Originally posted by MrSideways
I'm just going to say it once and Everyone I talked to AGREES

THE PRACTICE DAY FORMAT SUCKED! Please don't do that again.
Please elaborate. Aside from the course being on the tight side of fun, I heard no complaints from anyone except you. And the gripe I heard from you was that you wouldn't have enough time to change springs between runs. It was a practice day, not a test and tune.

Originally posted by kickslopAnyway, I'm glad I ... just decided to turn around and go home.
Based on your uninformed feedback and attitude, so are we.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:08 AM
OUCH!!!

Originally posted by flmcoupe
I'm glad you did too!

Originally posted by nunyo
Based on your uninformed feedback and attitude, so are we.

I was thinking it....

+1
Old 11-19-2004, 08:33 AM

Jamal, According to my Pax I needed to go faster on those street tires!!! :bbb:

Ok Pratice Course!!!!

Alot of people bitched about it being tight but after driving it ... It was actually nice to drive. I enjoyed driving it, Yeah I enjoyed driving it. I freaking HATED picking up the 2 zillion cones knocked over on it but thats life, I'd rather pick up cones then sit out there bored.

My issue was the Decision to hold it as a "pratice" instead of a test n tune. Which untill this weekend was the same thing in my mind. When I go to a pratice I think of it as a chance ot make lots of changes to the car to get ready for the real thing the next day.
And Even jesse mumbled under his breath to me that it was a silly decision. SO more then just me thought it, i just was the only one who voiced my opinion. Any way it was a pratice day that was set in Stone no biggie that COULD work, but then the decision making process to another extended brain fart and choose to make all 5 runs at once???|??|? .
Ok in theory the day would get done quicker due to fewer worker change outs but what then happened is you end up with course workers not only working a course that had a trillion cone penalties but you had them working for an ungodly long period of time. There wasn't a single course worker at the end of my work session that wasn't ROYALLY pissed. So this is what happened from my view.....

--You get one Run Session so no chance to make changes for a course some south florida folks had never driven on before.
--You have multi driver cars in the same run group causeing the group to end with 3 cars left taking one run every few mins keeping the already frustrated course workers out there.
--Because you only get one shot at the course if it rains during your group all 5 of your runs are a waste for setting up for the next day.
--You've got pissed off course workers.

Solution other then running it like a test and tune would have been to simply split it up so that you have 3 run groups with 2 or 3 runs in each group, then do it over again in the after noon. If people don't like being their all day they negate their afternoon attack at the course and go home.

I know Being a CFR member who doesn't contribute to the club I have no room to bitch about the decision making process but living 4 hours away does make it kinda hard. I'll be living in orlando come febuary and more then happy to put whatever amount of work is asked upon me into making the CFR solo2 club ummm less frustrating.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:11 AM

Yep, we should have run a morning and afternoon session. We usually do, don't know why it changed for this event.

I had forgotten about that. I also was surprised when I heard the anouncement of 5 runs all together.

But this...
"--You have multi driver cars in the same run group causeing the group to end with 3 cars left taking one run every few mins keeping the already frustrated course workers out there."

isn't anyone's fault but dumb drivers who can't organize themselves.

Jeremy

Old 11-19-2004, 09:20 AM
OUCH!!!

Originally posted by MrSideways
I know Being a CFR member who doesn't contribute to the club I have no room to bitch about the decision making process but
... you went ahead and bitched anyway.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Now with less suck

The decision to do all the runs at once was made entirely for the convenience of the (too) few of us that were running the event.

It was necessary to end the practice day early so that Jim could go and do early registration/tech at the hotel. Danny needed to get the real course setup for the next day, and Brian and I needed as much time as possible to knock all the weeds out of the competition course line. As it was, we still ended up doing more clearing in the morning on Sunday. We could have done four runs instead and split them up into a morning and afternoon session, but I generally go for more runs. To me driving is far more fun than watching course worker change overs.

I'll have to experiment with the test and tune format. I've not yet run an event that way. (Well at least not intentionally.) So maybe half a dozen people were pissed at me because they had to stand out in the sun for an extra 20 consecutive minutes or so. Nobody said anything to me that day, and when I compare their complaint (that obviously wasn't even important enough to voice) to the extra work that I would have had to put in to accommodate what they wanted, the answer always comes back as too bad.

Again, if you want things different, get in there and help out. This is a volunteer organization, nobody to my knowledge has ever been asked not to help, and if they have it certainly wasn't by me.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:54 AM
who stole my intercooler?

Originally posted by kickslop
The last 5 days of this thread are why I don't attend SCCA events. Bunch of uptight over-competitive bitchy whiny tools. Always. Every time.

Not everyone, no, of course.

Anyway, I'm glad I got there at 8:53AM and just decided to turn around and go home. And for those of you who went and were able to have fun, I'm very glad.
good decision

yeah, the saturday course was a bit tight, yeah way too many cones were hit, yeah it sucked continually running to replace 'em but isn't that part of autox? if the course is tight people need to slow down a bit to navigate the course without demolishing it, lots of people couldn't grasp that concept which is why little miata's & others were plowing down 9 cones/run. i ended up hitting more cones sunday on the faster/more open course than i did on saturday

instead of everyone coming on here & bitching about events i think immediate feedback to the event organizers will work better this may sound stupid but maybe hand out "feedback forms" at the end of your work/run groups. that way noone gets all pissed off at someone in specific, criticism could be done anonymously. just a thought.

later