Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SunRiders 10/24 Post-Event

Old 10-25-2004, 03:08 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BeQuietAndDrive
There was a newer Camaro SS out today but, it wasn't running that quick. It was a pretty tight course.
Did we run the same course??
The course was pretty damned wide, I thought, for the real-estate the designers had to work with. If you thought this course was tight I'd love to see your opinions on some of the Miata courses from a few years back. Like Loren said above, it's about the driver. If a Mustang can run the course with no issues and post some pretty damned quick times, the Camaro is more than capable of the same.
Old 10-25-2004, 03:28 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Well I had a blast. Picked up the STi about three weeks ago and I've been dying to open her up on a course. My first run was an eye-opener as I quickly found out what happens when you stab the throttle coming out of a corner. Apparently I can't drive this car the same way I used to drive my Civic .

Anyways, I reallly enjoyed the course layout. It felt quick and was fairly open. Also, the amount of cone kills was pretty low which testifies to how well the course flowed. Good course.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:20 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

I thought the course was great considering the room. Maybe could have defined the "gates" a little better as the first transition was a little confusing - but all in all a great course.

I had fun - Daniel and I traded numbers (so I could get in the first run group) I was 4 he was 68 - but really didn't change the outcome much. I see Loren that your times came drastically getting back into a Miata... Porsche is a little bit of a handful on a autocross - it kind of comes into it's own at Sebring though

Bill - loved your new car.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:16 AM
OUCH!!!

I'm pretty happy with where I ended up. Definitely a positive first outing for the new toy considering I haven't autoxed in about a year. Definitely need WAY more tire under it so I can use the throttle in the turns. Steering needs some changes too. It requires far too much effort in hard tight turns. Better seats would help alot too.

Hope all of you who took ride alongs enjoyed yourselves.
Old 10-25-2004, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by g-50Cab
I thought the course was great considering the room. Maybe could have defined the "gates" a little better as the first transition was a little confusing - but all in all a great course.

I had fun - Daniel and I traded numbers (so I could get in the first run group) I was 4 he was 68 - but really didn't change the outcome much. I see Loren that your times came drastically getting back into a Miata... Porsche is a little bit of a handful on a autocross - it kind of comes into it's own at Sebring though
We tried to keep the cones to a minimum in the center of the course due to the multiple crossovers. I think more cones would have made it worse, and pointers would have been a disaster. The number of DNF's are a testament to how confusing it COULD be. But for those who were looking and thinking ahead even a little bit, it wasn't bad. Would have been nearly impossible without the chalk line, though.

Be sure your reg sheet gets updated whenever you change numbers with someone!

The Porsche was a good experience for me. Would definitely take some time to learn. I did better in the Miata, but not as well as I should have.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:29 AM
OUCH!!!

Originally posted by Loren
Would have been nearly impossible without the chalk line, though.
Personally, I hate chalk lines. The stuff can be slippery and it sticks to R tires like crazy when they're warm. I understand that it makes the course less intimidating for novices, but I believe that ultimately, it becomes a crutch. They follow the chalk rather than learning to read the course and find the best line.
Old 10-25-2004, 07:44 AM

Originally posted by Leonard
Personally, I hate chalk lines. The stuff can be slippery and it sticks to R tires like crazy when they're warm. I understand that it makes the course less intimidating for novices, but I believe that ultimately, it becomes a crutch. They follow the chalk rather than learning to read the course and find the best line.
Oh, I agree. And when I put out a chalk line, I always make it misleading. Following it will keep you from getting lost, but it WILL NOT show you the proper line. I think Paul's chalk line was mostly this way, but he did put out a really THICK line, and in several places it was right where you'd drive through it. It was his first time laying chalk, I'm sure he'll do better next time.

With a complicated course such as this one, we have to do the chalk line, though. We'd have had DNF's and delays all day long without it. Would be nice to do without it, but to do any kind of interesting course on that site almost requires the use of at least some chalk.
Old 10-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Livin' in Seattle

Originally posted by Loren
With a complicated course such as this one, we have to do the chalk line, though. We'd have had DNF's and delays all day long without it. Would be nice to do without it, but to do any kind of interesting course on that site almost requires the use of at least some chalk.
Agreed. Without that chalk line in the cross-over section I would have been lost. Hell, just walking the course in the morning without the chalk line was confusing as hell.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 AM
SR AutoX Dude in training

Hey give a Brutha a break Yes I guess if I had time to ask about how that darn thing worked I could have layed low on the amount It dropped /snicker live and learn. I feared that no one else would have been able to do it since I was on intimate terms with the design ah well I know what to do next time. Call Dan. LMAO
2001 Black & Grey LS
Old 10-25-2004, 09:57 AM

Do you think Dan could have helped you with your premature chalkulation problem?