Auto-X/Road Racing Autocrossing, Road Racing & Other Forms of Sanctioned Racing

SunRiders Autocross - 10/24/2004

Old 10-19-2004, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by nipper's_civic
... yea so i think i'm gonna go... maybe just watch everyone else this round... plus i think my flowmaster exhaust exheeds the decible thingie...
If it's not loud enough to get you harrassed by the police, it's probably okay. Consider that one side of our site is I-275 and the other side is US-19.

You're welcome to come watch, but autocross really isn't a spectator sport. The fun is in participating.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by Mars_302
Man 2 the same day, I dont know which one to goto.
I'm sure many will be faced with the same dilemma.

Gainesville is worth going to if you're up for driving 3 hours there and 3 hours back. Otherwise, have you been to a SunRiders event yet? The sealed asphalt at SPC is a different world from the concrete at Brooksville. It's the kind of surface that drives the point of "slow down to go faster" home.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:41 AM
SR AutoX Dude in training

A tight course is relative to the person driving it. Yes our pad is not huge but, I think we are learning how to make good use of the space we have to give a Good ride. And by all means feel free to come out and try it out if you would like a Shot at course design for one of our future events there's nothing saying you can't. perhaps one of our future Chair persons would welcome some fresh design ideas.
2001 Black & Grey LS
Old 10-19-2004, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by Mars_302
Gville is a little under 2 hours for me, but seems like a better course for my car. I heard you the sunrider courses are very tight
I bet you heard that from someone who hasn't been to a SunRiders event in over 2 years. I'll tell you straight up, the club used to have some horribly inexperienced course designers 2-3 years ago. They laid out courses that looked fun and made use of LOTS of space, but were tedious to drive. Mostly first gear and a lot of too-tight turns... even in a Miata.

Since I took over the SunRiders program in January of 2003, I've made sure that we don't have courses like that. The more experience I get with this little site, the more I'm learning what can be done with it. Our courses have been much more 2nd gear this year with good flow and lots of fun. As fast as Gville? Well, that depends on how much CFR want to fudge the SCCA safety guidelines. Consider that by SCCA rules a car like a new Z06 shouldn't exceed 70 mph anywhere on course... your speed should be proportionately less.

I'll put it this way, we get some big vehicles at our events. Mustangs and Camaros, sure... but also Impalas and the occasional pickup truck. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone say that the course was too tight. Even the Impalas can get through FAST and without hitting cones.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:02 AM
OUCH!!!

course map?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Leonard
course map?
That would be Paul's department. He's the event chairman and course designer... and he's being a slacker!
Old 10-19-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Loren

I'll put it this way, we get some big vehicles at our events. Mustangs and Camaros, sure... but also Impalas and the occasional pickup truck. I can't remember the last time I heard anyone say that the course was too tight. Even the Impalas can get through FAST and without hitting cones.
Yup, he speaks the truth Germ, if my SUV gets around those courses without issue you've got no excuse

Besides, you can just steer with the throttle
Old 10-19-2004, 03:28 PM

so if i come... and my crappy 92 4 dr auto thinks it can race should i expect laughs ?... or support?... i'm the first person to admit that a stock d15 with short ram and axle back exhaust is slow, but i like it... and it gets me to work everyday and in and out of traffic decently... idk... i think i'd like auto x and i'm such a car geek i'd have so much fun just watching... but i know i'm not set up for it and i know i'd be slow so i guess i'd just like to have my first experience be semi decent ya dig?