Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   Audio HQ (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/audio-hq/)
-   -   Am i getting a good deal? (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/audio-hq/555307-am-i-getting-good-deal.html)

SloCivic 03-11-2009 05:57 PM

Am i getting a good deal?

sorry i am a noob at car audio.

one of my good friends wants to sell me a MB Quart PWE 304.

he only wants 40 for it with a box.

he says it is in good shape but comes with no amp.

i have no clue what this means but he says its a "4 ohm, 2 voice coil"

im not looking for overpowering bass but enough to go with the song to sound good. would this be a good choice?

any help is appreciated,

Ben

NT_Hardcore 03-11-2009 06:25 PM

as long as it works fine id say its a good deal. ill take it for 40 if u dont want it-

TBSpyder 03-12-2009 08:09 PM

It's a low-end sub at best.

pnrcaraudio 03-12-2009 08:32 PM

MB Quart

MB Quart has always been good Sound Quality Equipment.

There are definatly better lines of equipment but MB Quart is a good solid choice

I have their entry level 6.5" Component Speakers in my truck and they sound nice and get good and loud

SloCivic 03-13-2009 02:41 AM

thanks everyone for your help!

oh and NT Hardcore, ill let you know.

But im most likely buying it today!

TBSpyder 03-13-2009 03:18 AM

MB Quart use to be good sound quality equipment. They changed manufacturing processes about 4 years ago and have been lacking ever since. They are no where's near what they once were. And their subs have never been anything of much worth.

You'll be hard-pressed to find any sub and box for $40...but I would expect something comparable to any low-end subwoofer.

luke81 03-13-2009 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by TBSpyder (Post 6411851)
MB Quart use to be good sound quality equipment. They changed manufacturing processes about 4 years ago and have been lacking ever since. They are no where's near what they once were. And their subs have never been anything of much worth.

Heh, they changed a lot more than the process. After a near bankruptcy they were bought by Rockford then sold off, and are now owned by the same folks who own Hifonics and Crunch:lol:. The MB Quart of today has little if nothing in common with MB Quart of the past.
That being said, it's still pretty decent stuff. Maybe not the championship caliber stuff it was in the past but it's certainly not bad stuff.
Assuming the sub works 40$ with a box is a good deal!

NT_Hardcore 03-13-2009 10:36 AM

^ i agree for 40$ if it works its a pretty good deal for a sub.

MCOR 03-13-2009 06:22 PM

I have to agree with how MB Quart has gone down hill in quality. I had a customer with a NICE Porsche 911 turbo convertible. We got the unfortunate task of replacing his rear MB Quart 6.5" components that were blown (installed circa 2001-good stuff still back then and high dollar). He was fixed on MB equipment so we ordered and installed a new set. They lasted a day before blowing one woofer. Keep in mind-these were still $299 a pair! Ordered one more set and replaced. One woofer was dead in the box-open in the coil! Customer was pissed. Distributor special ordered a certified set straight from MB. They came in two weeks later. After install, they lasted a whole week before a woofer on one side blew and a tweeter on the other side. Finally was able to get a set of Focals and customer has been good every since (pics of the Porsche are on our myspace photos).

I swore after that I would NEVER sell their crap again. I went through so much hassle with that customer and phone time it was ridiculous. For that price-I did NOT expect that kind of hassle. Never again!

343whpDelSol* 03-14-2009 07:25 PM

the PWE304's were made when they were stil made in germany though, and its not an entry level sub, the DWCs and RWE's were their entry levels (discus level and refrence level) the PWE's (premium line) were actually the higher end subs they released, but as they said, don't look for something thats gonna really rattle ur trunk persay, the premiums were more for quality than anything else. so if you really want to get the best out of it don't buy some POS sony amp or something to run it on either or else u may as well just buy a sony sub so you get the warranty with it.