Honda/Acura Tech Honda tech discussion.

Engine Diagnosis

Old 02-15-2005, 10:39 AM
I'm Awesome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine Diagnosis

Ok I have been having trouble figuring out what is wrong with this damn engine for the longest time....I want to turbo and have all my core parts but I need this engine to stop burning oil.

I lose coolant, i have a light drip comming from my radiator so that might be it, or maybe not, I don't know where the hell the stuff goes but it doesn't stay in my engine, I have no over heating issues.

I leak from several different gaskets. The vtec gasket the oil pan gasket (i think) and it look like the head gasket.
- I say the head gasket because i noticed oil by my exhaust manifold so I pulled it off and directly underneath the ports i see oil all gunked up and wet but inside the ports there is no trace of oil at all.

I do compression test almost weekly and make fantastic numbers each time all 225 give or take 5 psi. I decided to do a very backyard mechanic leak down test and put a tablespoon of oil in each cylinder then compression tested and get my psi levels to shoot to 270's for each cylinder (apparently i was told that if it didn't rise then it would be my valve seals and if it did rise it was my piston rings.

I'm in the process of getting the engine to stop leaking on the outside so I can figure out what is happening on the inside. but good ole honda has no freaking parts there and i had to order them (which after thinking about it i have to go threre and pick them up and pay their overcharged prices when i could have just bought the damn parts online.) (fuck honda and my stupidity)

It is driving my crazy, because if i don't want to rip out this engine and rebuild, i just want to get it boosted and tuned.

I smoke blue and it isn't on startup, it is when i give it gas at idle and when i drive from about 1st and 2nd i give a nice little cloud occasionally. (a cloud of def blue smoke)

I run lean (white stuff on spark plug) on cylinder #3 but that may be unrelated.

I am ready to change out the head gasket just to see if that solves my problem, This will also allow me to see the condition of the pistons and my valves, ect.

If anyone has any advice or wants to help me break my car some more please speak up here is a pic.....of my evil little bastard engine.

-John
Aim: le lead
Cell: (813)843-8523

Last edited by lead; 02-15-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:45 AM
i stepped on my weiner!

sometimes that oil around the bottom of the head, is ACTUALLY a bad distributor seal, costs like 33 cents, it come from the dizzy and naturally runs around down to the head. with oil, what seems to be alot really usually isnt, it goes a long way and spreads real well.

all of the problems seem to be pretty simple, oil pan gasket, use some gasket maker on the vtec solinoid, and use a tiny thin coat around the valvecover. not alot.

as far as the internals goes. methodically it can only be a few things, valves, valve seals, piston rings. the major compression components.

how manymiles are on the motor?? it may just be time for a rebuild. go get some pr4 pistons and go some seriously low compression OEM!!!hahahaha

she may just need an over haul LEAD.

hows my injectors doin???

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm Awesome

well there are 160k on the motor but she runs strong as hell....and the injectors are BEGGING me to put them on and run the turbo system....however i am not mechanicly advanced enough to do a rebuild by myself. nor do i really have enough time to do it unless it can be done in a weekend.

my mechanic/buddy said he would rebuild it but getting him to do stuff is tough since he is so busy and he is talking about taking the whole damn thing out and doing new water pump oil squirters, the whole shabang, he said parts would run me about 300 for total seals and all that crap which i can afford but if im rebuilding i am going to do pistons and rods....not much sense in tearing it apart without doing that...right?...and that is where the costs become prohibitive....fucking damn expensive rods and pistons.....and now i have doug telling me weisco are crap and to go with cp pistons which cost even more...

i have access to a engine lift and holder, which is a plus i have most of the tools, except for a good air compressor but this is major work we are talking about here :\ i would rather find out exactly what is wrong and have some fun before i have to buy those damn pistons......and i refuse to let oil get into my compressor housing....if in fact it is comming out my ports....680 may not seem like a lot for a snail but it still fucking makes me go crazy when i think about it.

-John

Last edited by lead; 02-15-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Dramatic Lemur

Originally Posted by lead
fucking damn expensive rods and pistons.....and now i have doug telling me weisco are crap and to go with cp pistons which cost even more...
I guess it depends which Wiseco pistons he is talking about.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:54 PM
Dramatic Lemur

You know you want to rebuild it Boost is addictive.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:56 PM
i stepped on my weiner!

i will give a slight hint on where to buy some parts. ill PM you

10.02@149.5 Bullseye Power Turbos
Top Dead Center Performance
Mobile Alabama 251 661 6067
owner/operator
www.tdcperformance.net
Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 PM
No "V-TECH" here!!!

the thing doug is saying is wiesco got bought out by JE and je uses higher amts of silacone in there pistons and are more likely to change on you... if you are not sleeving it and are aiming for good numbers id do eagle h beams... 325+tax and some wiesco or cp pistons.....

Induction Performance 727.505.1423
* Engine Management Tuning, Track Setup, Consultation, Turbo Sales, Parts Sales (WorldWide)

^^^
ONLY SHOP IN TAMPA THAT TREATS YOUR CAR AS THEIR OWN

Old 02-15-2005, 04:51 PM

as for this pic i had that problem and it ended up being the vtec solenoid gasket was bad....
Old 02-15-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm Awesome

yes mine went out too, and i have the parts ordered from honda i'm just going to replace them, but my other problem is that the oil is also underneath the headers, so after the vtec problem is solved i will see about fixing the others, however I am leaning torwards rebuilding now that i have been directed torward some impressive prices.

-John
Old 02-15-2005, 08:46 PM
KJ
bored at work

Replace your valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring,vtec solenoid gasket and cam plug seal and your oil leaks will be gone. I've been working on Honda's and b-series engines in particular for a long time and I've never came across a head gasket that leaks oil without being the direct result of a bad mill job or a poorly done vtec plug in an lsvtec.

Replace your radiator and get a block check kit to determine if there is coolant in the combustion chamber.

Gracie Barra Clearwater Gyms in Clearwater, St. Pete and Port Richey
pm me if you are interested in trying a free class at any of the gyms.

Quick Reply: Engine Diagnosis