Tampa Racing

Tampa Racing (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/)
-   American Iron Tech (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/american-iron-tech/)
-   -   need help with '73 buick small block (https://www.tamparacing.com/forums/american-iron-tech/323249-need-help-73-buick-small-block.html)

jim 07-18-2006 07:21 PM

need help with '73 buick small block

the fire got the wires. looking for the main harness, and maybe some instruction and/or a diagram. also need a rochester o-e-m 4 bbl carb. or perhaps ditch the o-e-m intake and go aftermarket. thanks.

F*r*a*n*k*e*i 07-21-2006 06:41 AM

The plug wires? Are you talking about the car wiring harness? I didn't think there were many wires on any '73 engine.

jim 07-22-2006 12:07 AM

both

both. the plug wires i can figure out. there's a connector with wires coming out behind the brake booster on the firewall. they're mostly remnants hanging loose. plus the car has other engine wires, not to mention vacuum hoses, that were incinerated.

Suicidal Racing 07-22-2006 08:18 PM

painless wiring...just re wire the whole car..u will save weight..its really not a head ache to do either

jim 07-30-2006 06:46 AM

saving weight

Originally Posted by MILF-MAKER (Post 3353033)
painless wiring...just re wire the whole car..u will save weight..its really not a head ache to do either

how will i save weight with a rewire rather than a repair?
the painless wiring kit costs at least $400. ouch!
have you seen any 73 buick v8's at local junkyards?

roracer70 08-02-2006 01:59 PM

good luck finding any older car like that in a junkyard. not to mention with parts you can use. i can never find shit, i always have to cross-reference other cars. call barely used, they'll tell you straight up if they can do something for you. and i agree with milf maker, get a painless or american autowire harness. 300-400 dollars for the entire car. youll more then likely spend that on part of the harness on your car.

Suicidal Racing 08-03-2006 02:52 AM

u can try old gold its an old car junk yard out in ocala i think..me myself i would just get one from one of the places there where said..i've seen a couple cars catch on fire and burn from harness being slapped together or from just being old as all hell.

jim 08-03-2006 10:10 AM

thanks for the replies. old gold is on summer vacation until
november. american autowire didn't have a harness to fit my car. a guy told me a few years ago that he was selling his apollo to a tarpon springs junkyard. perhaps it's time for a junkyard search.

ponchoguy 08-04-2006 10:22 AM

I'd call M&H electrical fabricators... Lots of old car wiring stuff. I ALWAYS replace the engine harness with new... cuts down on issues.
Reproduction Wiring Harnesses for America's Muscle Cars
Remember that you could use any body series (A, B, X) harnesses within the series for the year with some modification. Any of them would be much closer than a universal harness. Chevy has starter on same side as Buick, all distributor wires would have to be lengthened, perhaps alternator too. Pontiac/Olds have starter on driver side, starter wires would be short.
Get a good wiring guide for your series car and you should be set.
If your car has an HEI distributor retrofitted into it, then you'll need to replace the resistance wire with 12-14 ga wire for the HEI power terminal.

Illswyn 08-09-2006 12:52 AM

If it's the 350, I'm looking for a 4 barrel intake if you do decide to upgrade.