American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

What cars will become the classics of the future?

Old 06-03-2005, 08:42 AM
The Happy Mrs.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cars will become the classics of the future?

The other thread asking what people considered a classic got me thinking. When you think of the future say 10-20 yrs from now, can you picture any of the cars running around today being considered a classic. I find it kinda hard to believe. I mean the technology out now and so many cars being front wheel drive, I just don't associate that w/ a stereotypical muscle car . But thats just me stereotyping .

But if I had to pick I would obviously say the corvette because of what it was, is, and hopefully always will be, also the Buick Grand National. I know they don't make them anymore, and is'nt exactly new but they only made them for 4 yrs I think (84-87) and seem to already becoming something collectibe. Maybe the Impalla SS's, and I can't think of any front wheel drives off the top of my head.

So what do you think would be comparible to a classic of today, 20 yrs from now?
Old 06-03-2005, 09:20 AM
Banned

None of any of today's cars will become classics. Fiberglass, plastic, computer controlled components, etc... none of which will last through the test of time. Plus, with all of today's safety regulations and design requirements, all the cars basically are the same these days, none have any character or personality. Can you tell that I hate modern vehicles?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 AM

well the old muscle cars are dying out becoming very rare which is why we love them like little children but the cars today will be in a class just not like the amarican muscle was of course but none the less they will be in a class referred to the olden days but the technology is exploding in cars but the corvette and camaro and firebird will be the new class of ""muscle cars"" for say but hey its just what i think !!
Old 06-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Grandpa

Yeah the Corvette's are kinda grandfathered in, and other than the GN's and SS Monte I don't see much else either that could become "classic". The only FWD I can think of are maybe the turbo and GLH Chryslers of the mid 80's. I can't believe I just wrote that
Old 06-03-2005, 02:41 PM
The Happy Mrs.

Yeah it's hard to think of front wheel drive as being considered a classic.

I agree w/ Frank on the nothing having much character anymore. Everything seems to look the same now. Look at the GTO, looks nothing like the orig. GTO, but a cross between a modern day Monte Carlo/Grand Prix.

As far as the technology, maybe one day fuel injection will be looked at as the carburetor of the industry .
Old 06-03-2005, 03:28 PM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

I agree, Grand Nationals will be considered a classic car in the future. Hagherty's auto insurance currenty considers them an exotic car.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by plymouthpower
well the old muscle cars are dying out becoming very rare which is why we love them like little children but the cars today will be in a class just not like the amarican muscle was of course but none the less they will be in a class referred to the olden days but the technology is exploding in cars but the corvette and camaro and firebird will be the new class of ""muscle cars"" for say but hey its just what i think !!

+1 the 99? and newer firebirds look the part. they look mean
Old 06-04-2005, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by HerHotRod
Yeah it's hard to think of front wheel drive as being considered a classic.

I agree w/ Frank on the nothing having much character anymore. Everything seems to look the same now. Look at the GTO, looks nothing like the orig. GTO, but a cross between a modern day Monte Carlo/Grand Prix.

As far as the technology, maybe one day fuel injection will be looked at as the carburetor of the industry .
none of the older cars that are being remade these days look like the originals except for the mustang kinda......what do you think of the new charger?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:35 AM
Livin' Large

Swapped 240's, civics, integras. I bet one day a mint condition stock CRX si will break the million dollar mark at Barrett-Jackson.