American Iron Tech A haven for those who love classic American muscle cars

What suprises was your car hiding?

Old 04-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Grandpa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HerHotRod
That sucks, did it do much damage to the car? I guess you owned it by that point right?

I lost my brakes once. I thought it was a the rear end cover leaking but it was really the brake line above it. Where it Y's off to go to each wheel it is rubber and had worn a hole in it. Luckily I was in my neighborhood and no one around, so i slowly coasted to the driveway.
I hadn't given him the cash yet, there really was no damage to the Charger, thank god it has a front end of a snow plow. The POS shed was leftover from previous tenent and destin to come down anyways.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 PM

How about this?

Old 04-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Daddy-O

I'll let you know when it gets here, should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday..
Old 05-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Call me Daddy

i had some nice rust under the chrome rockers, but what also surprised me was the only thing wrong ith the a/c was an o ring on one of the hose so i guess it evened out....
Old 05-02-2005, 01:45 PM
Too Much is ALMOST Enough

I had a 84 Camaro 6 banger that my dad bought me for my birthday. I opened the hood, looked around and saw that the front fender was caved in, then I looked at the outside and it looked fine So after that I decided to check for rust. I pulled up the carpet on the driver side and saw a section of a speed limit sign laying there, not even screwed in. For $500 and it ran I guess it wasn't too bad. Sold it for $600 and I didnt drop a single penny in it After I fix my daily driver I'll on the lookout for a 67-72 Chevy C10 with a straight body and NO RUST
Old 05-02-2005, 11:30 PM
Elitist Supra Asshole :)

the coolest thing i found in my TA when i bought it was the original build sheet tucked into the metal support of the rear seatback... aside from that, the car was quite mint and just like it had been bought from the dealer... no surprises, hackjobs, rust holes, missing stuffs or rodents. bought it with 78k, has 101k w/ fresh motor and paint. its sitting in a garage, wasting away i really need to get my baby back.

Herhotrod, i know about the smell youre talking about. my TA has a very disticnt smell. its a cross between OLD plastic, vanilla and sex. apparantly, my car was quite a hoe-getter back in the day. lol
Old 05-03-2005, 03:46 AM
The Happy Mrs.

Originally Posted by flubyux2
the coolest thing i found in my TA when i bought it was the original build sheet tucked into the metal support of the rear seatback... aside from that, the car was quite mint and just like it had been bought from the dealer... no surprises, hackjobs, rust holes, missing stuffs or rodents. bought it with 78k, has 101k w/ fresh motor and paint. its sitting in a garage, wasting away i really need to get my baby back.

Herhotrod, i know about the smell youre talking about. my TA has a very disticnt smell. its a cross between OLD plastic, vanilla and sex. apparantly, my car was quite a hoe-getter back in the day. lol
That pretty much explains it.

Car sounds nice. It sounds like it may not have had many owners before you. I would be taking a road trip if I were you . If it is going to waste away in the garage, I would at least want it to be my garage so I can look at it everyday. It would be my motivation to get it on the road.

Last edited by HerHotRod; 05-03-2005 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:43 AM

That pretty much explains it.

Car sounds nice. It sounds like it may not have had many owners before you. I would be taking a road trip if I were you . If it is going to waste away in the garage, I would at least want it to be my garage so I can look at it everyday. It would be my motivation to get it on the road.
roadtrip? you can definitly count on that. my parents want me to come visit them this summer anyways, and id like to go back and see them as well. i can spend some time up there, finish up a few details on the TA and at least get it back on the road. at this point, i really dont care what it takes. i just miss the car!!!! i havent driven it in about 5 years back then, i was afraid of wiring harnesses and shit that wasnt necessarily "Drop-in" or "bolt-on"... now, my skills have gotten to the point where im willing to build a 426 pontiac SD and retrofit a T56 tranny. I would have killed to find a 4-speed TA... but they are so few and far between. ill just make my own shit now

imports and turbos are fun... but "Nuthin Beats a V8 boy!"
Old 05-04-2005, 04:33 AM
The Happy Mrs.

Originally Posted by flubyux2
i was afraid of wiring harnesses and shit that wasnt necessarily "Drop-in" or "bolt-on"... now, my skills have gotten to the point where im willing to build a 426 pontiac SD and retrofit a T56 tranny. I would have killed to find a 4-speed TA... but they are so few and far between. ill just make my own shit now

imports and turbos are fun... but "Nuthin Beats a V8 boy!"
I'm like how you were. If I don't know much about it or completely understand it, it scares me. Thats why I feel so comfortable working on my car, what you see is all there is. We actually have an lt1 that is going to go in my car, but the wiring harness, fuel injection, etc. is where I need to do some reading. I don't know much about it . It's going to be a big project to say the least. But at the same time I can't wait to start.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:47 AM

I'm like how you were. If I don't know much about it or completely understand it, it scares me. Thats why I feel so comfortable working on my car, what you see is all there is. We actually have an lt1 that is going to go in my car, but the wiring harness, fuel injection, etc. is where I need to do some reading. I don't know much about it . It's going to be a big project to say the least. But at the same time I can't wait to start.
eh, i have confidence in the skills between you and billy. i know itll get done and be done right! I love Resto-Mods that have New-ish setups powering them.

my car came with an Olds 403, and i wanted to swap in a 7K2 Pontiac 400.. but the starter was on the other side and a few other things that would require alteration on the wiring harness... i didnt want to deal w/ it at the time (i was 18 ), so i just rebuilt the Olds motor. boy, how times have changed!

Quick Reply: What suprises was your car hiding?