Toyota/Lexus Tech Got an MR2? This is the place for you! Celicas, Camrys, and Supras too!

Trunk Mount Intercooler MR2 T

Old 07-14-2005, 10:46 AM
SOOFIERCE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trunk Mount Intercooler MR2 T

I'm considering doing a Trunk IC instead of the side (Gr. or Sp.). I'm thinking this would be a less expensive alternative to those two classic IC. Is this true? If so, would it be worth the trouble in terms of cost, modification and over all performance? Just trying to figure out the Pros & Cons.

Your 2 cents please....

PEACE-
Old 07-14-2005, 01:21 PM

not worth it, a2w would be better if you want to eliminate the side mount and not have to fab a tmic. and you can keep your trunk.Besides, you can fit a a2w anywhere and eliminate a bunch of ic piping . Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:31 PM
not available

Depends on your power goal. A2W is great for 1/4 mile runs, but not really for road racing. So it also depends on what you want the intercooler for. It would be cheaper to about the same to do a trunk mount rather then a side mount, but that is only if you are doing all the fabrication yourself.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:35 PM

well, for road racing you would need a resevoir , but a good heat exchanger and a good fan to cool it with the right pump calibrated for the core /resevoir/heat exchanger will cool very well.Water is easier to cool that air. Those trunk mounts are huge , you would see some pressure drop , and the 90 degree bends to the manifold would make you want a side entry intake mani to regain some throttle response for accelerating ect.Antifreeze with distilled water doesnt really boil that fast anyway.Just some pros and cons.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:02 PM
not available

A lot of extra weight with A2W, probably an extra 50lbs over an A2A. Not to mention the complexity and cost. If you have a tmic mounted correctly, you will gets temps near ambient. On a road course a A2W is not going to do much better then ambient. There is a guy in Miami making near 800hp and he uses and A2A intercooler.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:11 AM
SOOFIERCE

Question Intercooler Options

Well my particular application is for 1/4 runs. I just wanted something that flows better and inherently cooler temps. The Greddy kit, for just under $ 900, can do this. I just thought for $ 900 there might be a better way...

BTW, my power goal is 300RWHP (I have a 2gen US spec setup).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of you guys run the original IC in this hp range. Maybe I should just improve the IC piping and install a larger or better IC fan? It would sure save me some dollars yall.

PEACE-
Old 07-15-2005, 07:04 AM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

No. Stock MkIII Supra and MR-2 IC's BLOW (no potential pun intended)

Personally I'd go top mount...I dont think a2w setups work well on the street.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
THE HAMMER

Originally Posted by Orion ZyGarian
Personally I'd go trunk mount...I dont think a2w setups work well on the street.
There, now your 100% correct instead of 93.3~% correct.
Old 07-15-2005, 07:27 AM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

uhh...what?

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM
SOOFIERCE

Default 300rwhp

So you are saying that just by upgrading the IC pipes on a stock IC will not allow a good 300RWHP goal achievement?

If this is the case, looks like the side mount Greddy will be the best for the dough.

I still wonder with so many IC out there for under 250 bones, isn't there one that will fit the application of the MR2 side mount need? Man, its just hard to believe.

PEACE-