Crx axl info thanks to www.crxcommunity.com

Old 07-19-2009, 07:54 PM
Rick James bitch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crx axl info thanks to www.crxcommunity.com

Let me start by saying thanks to jfrolang on CRX Community Forum • Index page for the write up. The article can be found here.
================================================== ======

Here I will attempt to address any and all issues that come up when trying to figure out what axles to buy for your B-series swap in an 88-91 CRX.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what B-series engine or transmission you have installed in your car, the axle fitment comes down to the intermediate shaft that you have. For the transmission side of the car, any 1990-2001 Integra non-ABS axle will fit. If you have ABS axles you'll just need to remove the ABS ring, knock it off with a chisel and a hammer. The driver's side is where it gets tricky.

If you have a 1st gen (OBD-0) B16A swap that came with a Y1 transmission, you very likely have a Y1 intermediate shaft. Or, if you have discovered that 1990-1993 Integra axles don't fit or bind on the driver's side, you probably have a Y1 intermediate shaft. In this case, you have a couple options for a new driver's side axle.

1. If you already have the appropriate length Y1 (SiR) driver's side axle, you can buy new CV joint components for a 1990-1993 Integra and rebuild your current axle.

2. You can build a custom driveshaft using an 88-89 Integra axle with a 90-93 Integra outboard CV joint.

3. You can call Raxles and order hybrid swap axles. The part number is RAXBGEN4Y1. They will only sell these as a pair, and the cost is $320 for both axles. Much overpriced in my opinion, but it's one of the only places you can buy an SiR driver's side axle rebuilt with new components.

4. You can buy a 1990-1993 or 1994-2001 Integra intermediate shaft and buy a driver's side Integra axle of the same year. If you go this route, you must get a 5-speed mid-shaft, automatics won't work. Also, if you're using a 94+ mid-shaft on a cable transmission, you'll need a new 94+ seal where it enters the tranny.

Ok, now with that out of the way, there are only two other varieties of intermediate shaft. The most common is the 1990-1993 Integra, in which case you simply use 90-93 Integra axles. If your swap has a cable transmission other than a Y1 (S1, A1, J1, YS1) then you probably have one of these.

The other variety is the 94+ Integra intermediate shaft, which is very easy to spot because it has a male end on the driver's side, and requires a female inboard CV joint. If you bought a swap which came with a hydraulic transmission you most likely have one of these. In this case, 1994-2001 Integra axles will work.
94+ Int shaft

If your swap was pieced together, or if you are unable to determine which intermediate shaft is in your car, here's how you can tell:

The SiR (Y1) intermediate shaft is on top, the 90-93 Integra intermediate shaft is on the bottom.

The Y1/SiR intermediate shaft is stamped "SH3" above the female end, and the 90-93 Integra mid-shaft is stamped "SK7" in the same spot. It's hard to see in this picture, but this one says SH3.

You can break out the measuring tape too, this is an SH3. An SK7 shaft is about 5/8" shorter.

A note for HF cars: If you are doing a B-series swap into a CRX HF, you will need to upgrade your knuckles. It's a good idea not just for the brake upgrade, but because the HF hubs simply won't accept the larger B-series axles. Knuckles from a CRX Si, 90/91 Civic Ex or 90-93 Integra are all solid choices.

If you are having trouble seating the axles into the hubs when using CRX dx or Si knuckles, first make sure there is no ABS ring on the axle, and then remove the dust shield from the inside of the hub. It pops off with a screwdriver.

Also, if you have an older tranny, and somehow get a hold of a 94+ intermediate shaft, you'll NEED to change out the seal in the tranny for the intermediate shaft. its a slightly different size, and will leak out fluid.

Also, be VERY aware what intermediate shaft you buy... automatic transmissions use a different int shaft that won't bolt up to a manual transmission.

90-93 Ls halfshaft stamped numbers
Auto--SK7-N
Manual--SK7-J
TR 5th Gen Civic CREW Member #14

T & C Racing

What VP Race fuel's should we carry?

FT Crew Mascot lol
Gotta love my hater fan club. I love the fact people worry about me 24/7 Ill never be forgotten. I love you guys.....

Last edited by sprjit22; 07-19-2009 at 08:01 PM.