General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

how to remove a stuck oil filter

Old 08-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Passed you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove a stuck oil filter

Hey T.R. I have a huge issue. My oil filter is stuck and i can't get it off. I bought a special tool to help get it off and it cause the oil filter to crush and tear into bits. I checked online but nothing is working. the only remaining part is the actual top end "lid" with the holes in it. Do any of you have any idea on how i can get that off? the disk has the threads in the dead center and i can't screw it off. i tried the razor thing and still nothing.

Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
405hp=SLOW

Screwdriver and a hammer. Put the screwdriver on what's left of the oil filter and tap it with a hammer in a counter clockwise direction. It will slowly turn and eventually come loose.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM
Resident Ginger Kid...

Originally Posted by HeavyChevy3800
Screwdriver and a hammer. Put the screwdriver on what's left of the oil filter and tap it with a hammer in a counter clockwise direction. It will slowly turn and eventually come loose.
X2

2005 Joe Gibbs Silverado # 0396
1988 Monte Carlo SS 5.3/T56 and too many mods.
2003 Honda 954RR
Old 08-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Passed you

i did that at 1st when the filter was still whole lol i punched a hole in it and turned, and then the filter metal broke. i will try that in the morning. any other ideas

Old 08-18-2010, 07:06 PM
405hp=SLOW

Originally Posted by got_bst?
i did that at 1st when the filter was still whole lol i punched a hole in it and turned.
That is not what I told you to do in my post.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM

i did that at 1st when the filter was still whole lol i punched a hole in it and turned, and then the filter metal broke. i will try that in the morning. any other ideas
you probably didn't do it high enough on the filter. if you do that to close to the end then yes, it'll do exactly what you just said.

not rocket science

Originally Posted by SayWhaa?
guess some of the guys shes sleeping with isnt too good with the whole pull out method..
Originally Posted by evlonedb
someone needs to tell her its a vagina,not a clown car!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:21 PM
i love girls

I think he meant put the screwdriver in the holes where the oil comes down. if u cant do that then take the engine out and put in a engine with a good filter.

Jst4shw store: HID's-LED's-LUGNUT's-STICKER's-JDM GOODIES's

Like us on facebook
Old 08-19-2010, 05:34 AM
isuck

Originally Posted by ThaiRacer
take the engine out and put in a engine with a good filter.

lol.

So this is just a regular spin-on can?

why don't you get two vicegrips and put them opposing each other and slowly spin it out?

I have cartridge filter, and synth oil in my g/fs car so i forget how cans are set up sometimes. It's just that metal plate with the holes in it that's there? It should have enough of a lip to grab onto though... I can't imagine it'd be THAT stuck.
LOGIC? You seriously want to invoke logic in a conversation about fake hijackings, missiles hitting the pentagon, and bombs planted throughout the world trade center? I thought it was a given that logic was checked at the door when entering one of these threads.

Last edited by P057; 08-19-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:44 AM
Do it big.1 life to live.

Hey T.R. I have a huge issue. My oil filter is stuck and i can't get it off. I bought a special tool to help get it off and it cause the oil filter to crush and tear into bits.
Jesus, was this special tool you bought The Jaws of Life? I've never seen an oil filter wrench do this..
Old 08-19-2010, 05:59 AM
Passed you

i will take a picture of it. it's a 3 angle grip and it basically crused the fuck out of it because it only is about 2 inches deep so to answer psychos questions yes it was at the bottom because they made it that way. I'm about to go home and try the screw driver idea