Paint, Body, and Detailing Discussions on how to keep your ride clean, shiny, and straight

Nason clear coat question

Old 04-01-2010, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nason clear coat question

Hey everyone. I know there are some knowledgeable people on here that have used many different products. I've been using Nason brand clear coat. More specifically, this combo

I use this mostly to cut costs on people that dont want to pay too much for their paint jobs really or small jobs like wheels/engine bays. Honestly, for the price, ($99)it is a really great product. I just wanted to know if anyone here has used this clear and what their opinions are on it. Has anyone had bad experiences with it? Does anyone know what an over all paint job looks like after a year or two with using this clear? Also, what clears do you use and what prices. Just curious. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Painter Extrodionaire

Used a bit of this in the past_way in the past_ but it was ok. I know some independent shops that use daily for colision work. I was using UTEC for years but my friends out of the businees so back to PPG since Autobody Express just opened a Spring Hill store. PPG has a few midline priced clears that are about the same price. Just depends on what you like and whats available to you.Ive never seen any problems with these clear. The only problems Ive seen is with the super cheap crap like 5STAR--not a agood product.

Working with 15+ years of Professional experience,PM me for Price Estimates & Location.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:28 AM
"Non Silba Sed Anthar"

i use nason quite often, never had a problem, also i use a all over clear combo, cant remember the numbers right now but good stuff.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:31 AM

Thanks Grady! Thanks Kustoms. Grady, what PPG clear do you generaly use and what is the price range with reducer? Im curious.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:26 PM
Painter Extrodionaire

Actually they have added some clears Ive never tried yet so Im still learning. The 2:1 clear is good if you like High solids.I was told their 4;1 polyurethane clear is really good for around $100 or so--will try some soon. Its the Shopline series.

Working with 15+ years of Professional experience,PM me for Price Estimates & Location.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:59 AM

Thanks Grady!
Old 04-04-2010, 06:17 PM

497 the overall nason clear is better if you are painting a whole car. The 496 is good for small jobs bumpers and what not. But NASON is what master collision puts on everything. If you liked the dupont chroma clear from about 6 yrs ago this is what your buying. To me if i were cutting costs Id use it its a good Low cost alternative
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM

497...hmmmmm I think thats the same price too. I'll have to look into that when I do my next purchase.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Wide Open and Sideways!

The 496 you are using is a fast clear. You can wet-sand and buff it in about two hours with no problem.

It's great for small parts or panel painting because you can get it in and out and nib dust spots or runs the same day.

Of course the way this stuff flashes over you would have to hammer it to get it to run much if at all.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Yes I here the 497 is better for ever all work. Like whole cars. Its not that fast drying. Has anyone used the 497 clear at all? And what reducer would ou recomend for 70 degree weather? I've only used high temp but I dont know if thats good for this weather.