Audio HQ Car audio, regular music, anything audio should goes in this forum.

My amp turns on but my subwoofer doesn't???

Old 10-01-2009, 09:28 AM
All American, rice eater!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The_Answer
Took it to divine sound. They said they tested everything and they also said my subwoofer wasn't plugged in inside the box...but I KNOW it was. They told me I fried the outputs from my amp, but wouldn't the fuse go first? They were done in 10 min checking so I highly doubt they tested the wires. I would have talked to them more but I was at work when they checked. Any other help??????

first problem - Took to Devine,
and blew the outputs would happen if the wires inside box touched, or sub vc has gone bad.

when you removed your sub - did the speaker wires touch each other while amp was on? this can cause your problem.

Last edited by GradeA_TireFryer; 10-01-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by GradeA_TireFryer

when you removed your sub - did the speaker wires touch each other while amp was on? this can cause your problem.
Yep, exactly. Some amps are smart enough to shut off, or go into a protection mode when they sense a short. Other amps will just try to flow current into the short until the outputs explode, which takes almost zero time to happen. The fusing on the amp wont usually protect against this. The fusing is on the DC side of the amp, and when the speaker leads get shorted the outputs will explode before the power supply even knows what is going on.
727-573-2626
www.audioexpertonline.com

Audio Expert's Facebook site

Old 10-01-2009, 10:39 AM

well divine was free because they installed my head unit. not going there again. the amp is an alpine monobloc 400w amp. im not sure if the wires touched but it definitely could have happened. so im pretty much looking at buying a new amp?