Green Motoring Discussions on Hybrids, getting more MPG, alternative fuels, oil prices, electric vehicles, global warming and anything else Green Motoring related.

The Nissan Leaf Test Drive

Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Nissan Leaf Test Drive

So yesterday I went up to UCF to test drive the new Nissan Leaf and I pretty much liked it.

I have to admit though the thought of never putting gas in the car, not checking oil or other maintenance items is weird. I guess I could find some sort of normalcy in having to check the fluid levels for coolant, brakes and the wipers?

Looking under the car was a bit freaky as well. Where is the exhaust, the catalytic converter/test pipe (oops did I just say that), and resonator? Wait, were there axles? There was nothing under there except a covering designed to flow air under the car.

So this car is just something you just get in and drive and don't think about? No drips on the driveway to make you investigate which seal isn't happy? The thought of "Will this make drivers in the US even more complacent in driving a car on the road?" scared me a bit.

Oh and the biggest thing that got me, no stick shift to put the car into gear or rest my hand on while driving? Take yourself back to - if you can - the days where the shifter was on the steering column. Yeah for those of us who can remember when we did that it is just kind of weird to feel that again because the stick shift is now a knob really. Just push over to the left and then down and bam you're in drive. To park, push the P button on the knob. Wait? What? Weird. It would be something to adjust or readjust to.

The drive was nice. The suspension a bit soft. Not floating couch soft but take a right hand sweeper at the normal posted speed and you can feel the suspension bearing down on the right front tire.

The recycled material seats were comfy but almost felt like memory foam which was comfy but weird because it didn't really feel like a drivers seat to me? Sitting in the back you have room but the back seat passenger couldn't put their feet under the front seat of the driver or passenger which would make long road trips uncomfortable.

The - what I am guessing is a 1 speed transmission - makes the torque feel weird because it is constant. No break between gears. Which means no low end torque pulls which I enjoy doing in gears 1 - 5 of my Hondas'. Its not a bad thing, just odd. The car pulls but just pulls and pulls and pulls. lol

Am I totally put off by the idea of driving an electric car where part of my road trip across the state would include a stop for a 30 minute charge? Yes and no. See I am the driver who stops for gas/bathroom and I'm back on the road ASAP. Having to plan an extra 30 minutes or more if the charging stations are full is not really making me smile right now. But Nissan will tell the car hey, that charging station is all full right now, try this one instead. That is an assist I like but still .... the added time to my trip would require me to change my style of travel.

But that is what the electric vehicle is about, change. Isn't it?

I also would like to see Nissan give you the 220 volt charger instead of having to buy it. 20 hours of charging time from home is not going to work with many drivers life. So if you purchase the car one would have to throw in the additional cost of the 220 volt charger, the charging station and 220 volt being ran to it. Giving the consumer the 220 volt charger would be one less cost and one more incentive to buy the charging station or run the 220 volt out to the garage/car port/etc.

At the end of the day I think it is pretty neat that our generation gets to see the development of the EV being put on to the road. Being around to see the installation of charging stations at our local petrol stations, malls restaurants and grocery stores. Much like those who witnessed the birth of gas pumps and stations pop up across the US when the Model T and others took to the roads.

For me a car is one to drive and one to be driven. And to own this car would mean it would have to be driven! I would like to see if it could be.

by http://www.flickr.com/people/8341770@N07/, on Flickr
TR "Old Skool EF" Member #017 chi town brat TR "eg6" crew #6

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
the late Tom Thrash SCCA Solo E Production

Last edited by chi town brat; 02-06-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Thanks Loren!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 AM

Nice write-up, Angela!

I think you meant 220 volts on the charger, not 220 watts. A regular 110 outlet will run your 1200 watt microwave oven all day long, it wouldn't have any trouble delivering 220 watts.

One thing you're not seeing is the hot-rod potential. Guys (and girls who are so inclined) will always find ways to compete in things with wheels and try to make them faster. There's already a big electric drag race scene. When electric cars take over our roads, the kids who grew up with them will know all about what motors are bolt-in swaps for their cars, how to add cells to their battery packs for more voltage, how to reprogram their controllers to deliver power for peak acceleration, etc. It will really be no different than that transition from carbs and distributors with points to fuel injection and electronic ignition. There were a few years in the late 70's and early 80's where people were afraid of the computer-controlled systems under the hood of a car... now we all accept it as normal and understand how to work with them. The newness of electric cars will wear off in time, as well... and as they start popping up on the used market at prices that young kids can afford... a new generation of "motor heads" will be born. REAL "motor" heads this time, not "internal combustion engine" heads.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

Thanks Loren, I have added that edit to the write up. I appreciate it. Lots of info overload and I admit to being confused.

I def need to look into the electric drag race scene, it sounds interesting and more than likely a lot of it will be over my head.

Still I would like to see the advancement of hydrogen technology as I keep hearing that the production of these battery cells is not eco friendly.

I see people out there spending money on the car to improve it … If you spend half that effort just working on your driving skills, making you and the car work together as a team, then you’ll go faster – period. To make the car go a second faster on the track takes a lot more energy and money than making yourself drive it one second faster.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM
buildin' it

what kind of range does the leaf have? Sounded like a much more enjoyable drive than some of the other electric/hybrid cars.

Don't know that I would be able to let go of my loud, baby seal choking, toxin spewing, din juice burning engines anytime in my driving life, but it is neat to see the technology coming to life
Old 02-13-2011, 05:00 AM
! Ne shab'rud'ni !

The range is stated to be 100 miles but with braking, coasting and hyper miling that range can increase. The rep we had said that in CA one owner had his up to 138 miles.

Also they said that the average daily driver is under the 100 mile range. I have to admit I am very close to being near 100 miles per day.