Green Motoring Discussions on Hybrids, getting more MPG, alternative fuels, oil prices, electric vehicles, global warming and anything else Green Motoring related.

Tampa / St Pete Ethanol Free Gas Stations

Old 11-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b16a2pwr
are we looking for ethanol free stations because there's more combustion in stright gas? Sorry for the ignorance.
Yes, that's the gist of it. Ethanol has higher octane (burns slower, good for high-compression or high-boost engines), but lower energy content.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:28 PM
legend behind the cowl

AND as I've found out, is a lot harder to ignite (since it has such a high octane) your ignition system better be up to the task. I just had a Honda come in my shop and he was complaining up and down about Ethanol laden gas. well after I checked his car out and pulled the codes. he was misfiring like crazy. Pulled the plugs and the .044" spec plugs were worn down to .080 (almost double the gap) and the rest of the system was old.. I replaced the Plugs with Accel U-groove copper cores, Put some beefy Accel 8mm wires on it, A new cap and rotor and amazing. the codes are all gone and I just filled it up with E10 and Not a hint of misfire. I don't know what his mileage was before but I did a quick calculation on my test drive monitoring the ECU with my Acctron, and the Short term fuel trim was -6.7 (on E10) long term has not been set yet. but usually on ethanol gas you expect to see a positive number here.. I'm going to drive it home tonight and monitor the ECU, but it seems much of the Ethanol complaints can be solved with a good tune up.

EDIT: FYI my Sentra Short term fuel trim is +0.5 on Straight gas, and +2 to +3 on E10. that's in % on E85 I have to wait for the long term fuel trim to catch up before it will perform correctly but those numbers are closer to +20 (these are all % of Injector duty cycle)

Last edited by treekiller; 11-21-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Ethanol Free Gas in Avon Park ,route 27

I saw a BP station yesterday in Avon Park at the route 27 /64 intersection advertising Ethanol Free Gas, at a $.05 premium. The same area had regular for $1.59 ( probably with ethanol). I just cleaned out my yard tractor and trimmer fuel tanks and ran the carbs dry to avoid future problems.
Bill
Old 01-12-2009, 02:09 PM

is there any in brandon/riverview area?
Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by treekiller
there is a statewide mandate that by 12-2009 100% of all fuel sold in our state be 10% ethanol.
Anyone know why the state is doing this? I've thought about it many times since reading this post.

Thanks.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:51 AM
legend behind the cowl

Originally Posted by koolaid man
Anyone know why the state is doing this? I've thought about it many times since reading this post.

Thanks.
It offsets several millions gallons of imported oil and replaces it with domestically sourced Corn, Sugar, and Natural Gas.. also E-10 tends to be a little more friendly to the environment. so it's Envioro and Finnancial reasons.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 PM

on klosterman and alt. 19 there is a little gas station that sells non ethanol. all grades. and its always cheaper than any other gas stations. im not sure of the name, but its right next to a little mom and pop car dealership. they only have 4 pumps and they have a big lot full of used tires. when your driving N on alt 19, as soon as you pass klosterman, you'll see the dealership, then the gas station on your right. just look for the sign that says "NO ETHANOL" in all caps on top of their gas prices sign thats on the side of the road.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:43 AM

McMullen Oil in Clwtr (49th st. and 118th ave. n) is ethanol free.
Only available with commercial accounts.
I'm gonna fill my truck up today
Old 03-23-2009, 10:25 AM

Thumbs up Ethanol Free Fuel

Marina Outpost at Lighthouse Point Marina
8612 Bay Pine Blvd
St Petersburg, FL 33709
727-384-3474
next to Green Iguana
Ethanol Free 87 and 89
now with RXP at no additional cost
www.marinaoutpost.com
open 7AM to 7PM
Old 10-08-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Daytona Gas & Grill in Holly Hill FL has non ethanol gas

I just saw an ad that Daytona Gas & Grill on Rte 1 in Holly Hill ( Near Daytona ) has ethanol free gas. I plan to buy some today. It should store better ( with Stabil in it) than ethanol gas. I use it in my outboard motor and yard tractor. I don't know the price yet but will call them up.
Bill