Ford, Lincoln, Mercury Tech Automotive Related Topics Only !

1996 ford contour temp sending unit connector pinout..

Old 03-07-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 ford contour temp sending unit connector pinout..

I'm doing a side job, one i should never got started with, anyway vehicle is a 1996 ford contour with a DOHC 2.0 engine. the temperature sending unit harness connector was completly broken and missing, from the years of the valve cover leaking oil. I need to know if anyone has access to ford's database, for a connector pinout picture for the temp sending unit, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Old 03-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by TURACE24
I'm doing a side job, one i should never got started with, anyway vehicle is a 1996 ford contour with a DOHC 2.0 engine. the temperature sending unit harness connector was completly broken and missing, from the years of the valve cover leaking oil. I need to know if anyone has access to ford's database, for a connector pinout picture for the temp sending unit, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
I searched around on Alldata for a good 30 min and couldnt find anything on it.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Is workin on his car

Here lets try this:

Description and OperationNotes Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor

PURPOSE
The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor measures varying engine coolant operating temperatures, providing the information to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) . The ECT signal is used to modify ignition timing, EGR flow and air/fuel mixture.

OPERATION
The varying temperature affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals, providing electrical signals to the PCM.

CONSTRUCTION
The ECT is a thermistor device in which resistance decreases as the temperature increases, and increases as the temperature decreases.

I know your looking for which wire goes where on the sensor but atleast now you have the 2 wires colors that go to the sensor lol... Its either one way or the other right? One wire should be BR/GN and the other is W/GN. The BR/GN should be your reference voltage while the W/GN will be the output to the pcm. Now you just have to test the sensor and see which way it works. Hope this helped. Sorry I wasnt able to find the actual pinout for you. Good luck.

Last edited by 91Notch; 03-07-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:27 PM

Yeah i have access to alldata too and wasted twice the amount of time you did Chris, but i do appreciate the effort. 91 notch same for you, thank you. But i just did a process of elimination, and figured it out, once the gauge pinned one way, and worked correctly the other way. Now we know alldata is about worthless on ford connector pinouts!