General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.

Ariel Atom vs. FFR GTM

Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out the RCR Superlite Roadster

If you want an Atom but don't have 80k, check out the RCR Superlite roadster. The pictures shown don't have all the bodywork though. If you dig around on their site you will find some though. The entire roller can be had for 16k, and will accept any tranverse (front wheel drive) engine combination. RCR will provide mounts to bolt in the Ecotec drivetrain. Also check out their yellow Superlite coupe, pure sex. FFR who?

Race Car Replicas - 586-329-1573 - Superlite cars
Old 10-29-2007, 08:57 AM
I race sailboats

holy sexy cars batman. Id love to grab one of those coupes!

BLACK FENDER PART OUT
Old 10-29-2007, 06:15 PM
11 second club

The original came with a supercharged 300hp typer R you're right, but the new ones also come with 300hp-just from a cehvy ecotec. Its in a current issue of either road and track motor trend or car and driver I forget which one
Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
7M 2JZ bird in pear tree

Originally Posted by g-50Cab
Come on now Orion - you don't actually believe all this stuff you write do you?
Hell yes! I think we can both agree that 6 is a perfect number...you just like the 180* difference and I like the 0* difference. Either way, its better than a V.

Those pics do put it into perspective though... Shelby Coupe it is!!

I really love the coupe/roadster bodies, but I absolutely cant STAND the ass of the Daytona coupe...I'd rather have an Aztek rear! I had mentioned in another one of these threads that integrating a Porsche style rear end (930? 993?) would be in my interests, or maybe an E-type style. Both have similar shapes in the back.

ASE: Brakes
Yea..that very well could have been the most retarded idea I've ever heard, but .. do it anyway. -TheShow50h
Old 10-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Lucky

Default *Extreme Noob Question*

I am putting my flame suite on...

How does a V8 match up to a 996 transaxle and still put power to the ground?

I know that porches are rear or mid engine and rwd. I know that they are designed to have a "reverse" transmission so that they can put their power on the ground. So how is it that a V8 that is suppose to run in the order of engine->transmission->driveshaft->rear axle turn into transmission->engine->driveshaft->rear axle. What in the heck am I missing? What is mounted behind the engine in the above pictures (it does not look like a differential, but is it, or what is it?)? How does the gearing travel "through" the engine and get the power on the ground?

I am so lost. I have a very decent understanding of how stuff works, I am just puzzled. Thanks in advanced very being gentle in your responses
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Hates cars...

Originally Posted by RX007CYM
I am putting my flame suite on...

How does a V8 match up to a 996 transaxle and still put power to the ground?

I know that porches are rear or mid engine and rwd. I know that they are designed to have a "reverse" transmission so that they can put their power on the ground. So how is it that a V8 that is suppose to run in the order of engine->transmission->driveshaft->rear axle turn into transmission->engine->driveshaft->rear axle. What in the heck am I missing? What is mounted behind the engine in the above pictures (it does not look like a differential, but is it, or what is it?)? How does the gearing travel "through" the engine and get the power on the ground?

I am so lost. I have a very decent understanding of how stuff works, I am just puzzled. Thanks in advanced very being gentle in your responses
The "thing" behind the motor is a transaxle.. transmission with direct side-mounted axles. As for the shifting I'm not possitive because in the actual Porsche it faces the opposite way with the engine behind the transaxle. But a transaxle eliminates the need for a driveshaft and "rear end" they are all in one. I'm sure someone will go more into detail with the reverse design of the engine/trans mounting.

Last edited by IThaJokaI; 10-30-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:31 AM
TR Balla Donor Supreme

No reason for a flame suit - learning is guude!

Basically - you don;t have a drive shaft with the porsche transmission. The transmission (and clutch inside) mount directly to the engine housing - from there - you have two CV joints that come out the center of the transmission on each side.

It's one of the things that cuts down on powertrain losses on porsche cars - less transmission slop.

Mine is a gertag g-50. See the nosecone - it also has a provision where you can replace the nosecone and move the shifting mechanism from the front to the side and reverse the engine.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Lucky

Originally Posted by IThaJokaI
I'm sure someone will go more into detail with the reverse design of the engine/trans mounting.
Thanks! The fog has started to clear a little. If someone would chime in on the above quote, that would be awesome. Repped!
It's like this: The toadstool juice fires through the unicorn injector into the fairy dust chamber, where the tiny wizard does his secret work...Then a gang of keebler elves get hopped up on the crystalline byproduct of the wizard's tinkering, (they smoke it) and then the elves push the spinning triangle through a series of dimensional portals to a final realm codenamed the "exhaust port..." At least that's my undersanding of rotary sorcery...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:41 AM
Lucky

Originally Posted by g-50Cab
Mine is a gertag g-50. See the nosecone - it also has a provision where you can replace the nosecone and move the shifting mechanism from the front to the side and reverse the engine.
You lost me at nosecone. Is it the black piece on the transaxle? Is this what allows it is be mounted to the rear of the LS7? Thanks again!
Old 10-30-2007, 07:43 AM
Hates cars...

Originally Posted by RX007CYM
You lost me at nosecone. Is it the black piece on the transaxle? Is this what allows it is be mounted to the rear of the LS7? Thanks again!
The nosecone is were the driveshaft yoke would be on a FR car. It allows it to be side-mounted to be able to reverse the engine design to make a RR car into a MR car with the adapter plate for mounting an engine make other than Porsche. Kind of like putting rotaries into VW beetles.