General Car Chat Talk about cars in general. All makes and models - strictly car discussion.
View Poll Results: Best 4-Cylinder Engine Ever?
Honda B18C5 (Integra Type R)
14.14%
Honda F20C (Honda S2000)
9.49%
Honda K20A (Acura RSX-S/DC5 Integra Type R)
12.66%
Subaru EJ25 (STI)
7.59%
Mitsubishi 4G63 (Evo and DSMs)
31.86%
Toyota 3S-GTE (Celica All-Trac and MR2 Turbo)
4.85%
Chevrolet 2.2L Ecotec (Cobalt/Ion Redline)
3.59%
Nissan SR20-DET (Spec-R Silvias/Everyone and their mom's 240s)
15.82%
Voters: 474. You may not vote on this poll

Best 4-Cylinder Engine Ever (Poll)

Old 11-12-2006, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I considered adding the Cosworth, but didn't really know much about it. As far as European engines, they don't seem to stick with the same engine for too long. Even the Cosworth has seen its age. Almost all of the engines I listed are popular engines to build without a swap, or to swap into other cars. The only exception is the Ecotec, which is a brand new engine, already making a hell of a splash in the performance category.
The 1.8T engine so popular in Volkswagens is undoubtedly well-built, but is oftentimes swapped out, and is rarely built to high standards and high performance, as the other options are.
As far as availability being a factor, you could ask Ferrari to build the greatest 4cylinder engine ever, and if they wanted to, they probably could. There would be 10 of them total and they would cost as much as an F430. Instead, look for an engine that is built to be a reliable motor with power potential, and just happens to be designed so that it makes power without relying on a pure race platform, and all while keeping within the company's design budget.
It takes a hell of a well-built engine to make power on a budget, which is the goal of the engineers that made them in the first place.
That's why the Civic is a great tuner car, why the AE86 is a great track car, etc. Cheap budget, priceless design.
Don't think I'm hating on domestics with this debate, but this is the 4 cylinder design we're talking about. The Japanese have RELIED on a straight-4 layout, and have since come to perfect it better than Americans. Same reason you wouldn't see much competition from Japan in the greatest 8 cylinder engine category, even with the JGTC motors having a stout history.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:02 PM

The BMW motors I listed are commonly swapped into other BMWs. The M10 was heavily massed produced and the S14 was produced in large numbers (over 15,000)
Old 11-12-2006, 08:24 PM

^I would add them as one motor together, but I don't think I can edit the poll choices, thought I could. I figured the 4G63 would take this, and undoubtedly so. It went from a crankwalk fiend to a MIVEC monster. Even as a company that had been near its demise, they continued to stick with the same engine for years, and it's certainly come a long way without showing its age.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:34 PM

no worries man, i just wanted to tell people about a pretty sweet motor that doesn't get a lot of recofnition
Old 11-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Old School

4g63T FTW!!!!!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 AM
Retired

What is the 4G63 power record, anyways? Isn't it something like 1200? The SR has done just shy of 1000whp.

I see the ecotec is way at the back of the pack... Anything with aluminum sleeves should not appear on this list.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:46 AM
realer than most

4g63 > all
Old 11-13-2006, 05:49 AM
rocktastic

I've always liked high-strung l-4s, so I like pretty much everything on the list. Aside from the BMW s14, the other big one missing is the motor from Mercedes 190e Evo.

Hard to pick a favorite...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Epstein
What is the 4G63 power record, anyways? Isn't it something like 1200? The SR has done just shy of 1000whp.

I saw this motor up in Charlotte. Pretty sweet looking. Got the info from here:

GM - Powertrain - events & activities - Ecotec Racing

Originally Posted by http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/events/racing/index.htm
The General Motors Sport Compact Drag Racing Program was kicked off at the 2001 International Auto Salon (IAS) in Long Beach, CA. During IAS, GM identified sport compact drag racing as the highest opportunity to gain awareness in the sport compact market. The first Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire front-wheel-drive drag race cars were unveiled at the 2001 SEMA show.

In February of 2002, GM Racing made their competitive debut in Palmdale, California. Since then, the GM Racing and their supported teams continue to race their ECOtec-powered Chevy Cobalt race cars to multiple wins and record-setting performances across the country.

GM's Ecotec engines have proven to be a reliable and competitive engine for use in the Sport Compact Drag Racing Series. The Ecotec engine has a sound base engine structure, excellent airflow capability, easy serviceability, compact size and low weight. These qualities, along with the very successful race program, demonstrate the Ecotec is a driving force in the Sport Compact Segment.

Ecotec's outstanding feature to performance enthusiasts is it's impressive strength. GM Racing dynamometer tests confirm that major horsepower gains are possible with minimal modifications.

Generating up to a remarkable 1,450 horsepower from only 4 cylinders
, the Ecotec 2.2L powers some of the fastest-accelerating front-wheel drive vehicles ever built. Many of the components used in these race engines are production based. The race effort showcases the potential of the production Ecotec to today's sport compact market. Even at the highest horsepower levels, the engine will still remain over 50% of its stock components.

The current 2.2L version of the Ecotec is available in the following vehicles:

2 Chevy - Cobalt, HHR, Malibu and Cavalier
2 Pontiac - Grand Am, Solstice and Sunfire
2 Saturn - Ion, L-Series, Sky and Vue
2 Opel/Vauxhal - Vectra, Zafira and Speedster.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:20 AM
┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

everyone knows the best 4 banger is a 2J with 2 cylinders cut off.